shape
carat
color
clarity

If a diamond ring is 250 years old...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nanny gave me her ering today. She is very ill and wanted me to have it before she dies. It belonged to my grandfather''s grandmother. It''s kind of a cluster ring with an emerald cut in the center. Any idea as to what the diamonds might be. Rose cuts?? Can''t post a pic, sorry.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Kaleigh, I can''t help you with the ring but I just wanted to say how sorry I am that your Nanny is so ill. What a treasured possession to have, though I''m sure that right now it is very difficult to have. My thoughts are with your Nanny.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks catmom. The center stone looks like a cross between an EC and an asscher. Does that make sense to anyone? The surrounding diamonds are round cuts. Probably single cuts if I had to guess. They aren't old mine cuts or OEC's.
34.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry to hear that the ring comes under such sad circumstances...
38.gif

The case sounds intriguing because of age.

I'd guess some older form of brilliant cut (squareish), or single cut - table and rose cuts are posible. Without seeing anything, any chronology of diamond cuts (scroll down that page) can tell as much.

Take your pic:

350px-Diamond_cut_history.png

The rose cut is not there, but that's not at all difficult to tell - and since they never stopped being made completely, the look is rather timeless... although variations of rose cuts can be tracked down to period and location if the examples are conclusive.
There should be better insight available.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Ana, that is very helpful. I think the surrounding stones look most like the old single cuts.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love rose cut diamonds...they only have what 8 or 16 facets?

So sorry to hear about your Nanny, K...but I know you will treasure the ring she gave you!

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sorry to hear about your Nanny, Lisa.

The ring sounds very interesting, post a pic when you get a chance.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry to hear about your Nanny Kaleigh.
The ring sounds lovely, I hope you enjoy it very much and post pictures if you get a chance.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe this Friday I can post some pics. Nan/Sevens is coming for a visit. Where are my manners?? Sorry.
20.gif
Thanks Mara, Milly and Matatora. Geez, guess my head is elsewhere. The ring is really beautiful and even more so because it belongs to her.
2.gif

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhhh, Kaleigh, I''m so sorry that Nanny is not well.
Hugs to you and Nanny

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/26/2005 6:41:12 PM
Author: kaleigh
Maybe this Friday I can post some pics. Nan/Sevens is coming for a visit. Where are my manners?? Sorry.
20.gif
Thanks Mara, Milly and Matatora. Geez, guess my head is elsewhere. The ring is really beautiful and even more so because it belongs to her.
2.gif
Whoaaaaaaaaaaa Whooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

emotion-19.gif

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I can''t wait to come up. We''ll have to go out and do some serious celebrating. (we need it)
We can "Drink" our lunch!
emcocktl.gif
emcocktl.gif
emcocktl.gif
emcocktl.gif
emthup.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Having you come to visit just makes me sooooo happy. We will have a blast!!!
36.gif
36.gif
35.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just love ''drinkable'' lunches! Most days I truly drink SlimFast but on rare special occasions I have been known to drink Long Island Iced Teas with good friends! Yum! You guys enjoy your visit together and get Nan to take pix of the ring and any other thing she thinks we would like to see!

I too am sorry to hear about your Nanny. However, if you think about the jewelry you love and treasure, wouldn''t it be nice to pass it along to who you wanted to have it? What a sweet, thoughtful thing for her to do. I am sure you will always treasure the ring and can pass it along to your daughter one of these days.

Good wishes to you and your family. . .

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks MGR.
1.gif
She has given me so much already. A sapphire and diamond pin, 3 stone old mine cut ring, a 12 carat aquamarine ring with diamonds, and now this treasure. I have to say the best gift I ever got from her was her love and support. She is my heart.
12.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I am very sorry to hear that your Nanny is so ill Lisa. The ring sounds lovely and we would love to see pictures of it if Nan can help you out with posting photos when she visits. You guys have a nice time!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im so sorry she''s not doing well. I hope you can wear that heirloom and know she is happily watching you enjoy it.

Sounds very cool, I can''t wait for photos.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Kaili, Sundial, SDL and ame. If I can tomorrow I will take it to my bench jeweler and have him size it for me. I'd love for her to see me wear it while she is still alive. I have lots to get done tomorrow with Hospice and her doc. Making her comfortable is my #1 priority right now.
2.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Can I just add.....

Lisa is one amazing woman. She has been taking care of ALL (and I mean ALL) her grandmother''s needs over the years.
She is very self-less.

Lisa you are a true treasure.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry to hear about your nanny...
15.gif
but what a wonderful treasure you will be able to remember her by!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Nan, that was very sweet. flopkins I will enjoy it for years to come and will pass it down to Ashley. Nanny would love that.
1.gif

stretch4

Ideal_Rock
Oh Kaleigh, I''m so sorry to hear about your Nanny
7.gif
. But I bet she will be sooo happy to see you wearing the ring.

Please post some pics when you get a spare moment...The ring sounds absolutely stunning
30.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
So sorry to hear of her illness....the ring sounds amazing ... and more so knowing the history behind it...

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry to hear about your Nanny. Some people should live forever.
7.gif

I''m glad that you have another special keepsake of hers.
35.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Rascal, MMM and Patty. Look for pics on Friday. I am hoping to get it sized quickly so she can see me wearing it. Ron is a wiz at doing this sort of job and knows how sick she is. I''m sure he will squeeze it in for me.
2.gif

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Kaleigh, I am very sorry to hear about your Nanny. I have always got a kick out of how sassy she is. I loved the story at the doctors office and asking you questions related to sex rather loudly : ) I hope that she is able to recover from her illness and have many more years to be sassy in.

I wish you (and Nanny) well,

Bridget

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bridget you''ll be happy to know she still has a sense of humor. I think it was the other day where she was looking out her bay window of the nursing home. My daughter and I asked what are you thinking Nanny?? She said "why if I could only make my way to the window I could end it all now". We laughed and said Nanny you are only on the second floor. If you jumped you would break a hip at best. She laughed and said darn it all, why can''t I live in a high rise. True form for her.
2.gif

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Kaleigh, I''m sorry to hear your grandmother is not doing well. I hope her remaining days are good, surrounded by your family''s love and comfort. She sounds like a very special woman.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Leila. She will be surrounded by lots of love, that''s for sure.
1.gif

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
Oh Kaleigh, I''m so sorry to hear your Nan isn''t feeling well, I know how close you are and how much she means to you. I do hope she''s doing better. And hope you and your family are enjoying a wonderful holiday in spite of it all! Many Cheers and hugs to you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results