shape
carat
color
clarity

I just got my Victor Canera Cushion set for my girlfriend!

leeme

Rough_Rock
So I just got back from Downtown LA Jewelry District. I finally got my girlfriend's diamond set. I am sooo excited and so relieved at the same time. All that's left is to propose, phew! :naughty:

Here is the ring! 1.235 H VS1 Canera Vintage Cushion in a 18k White Gold U shaped pave setting!

close_up_0.jpg

Side Views:

side_2_0.jpg

side_3.jpg

And finally, a series of pictures depicting the ring slowly EXPLODING in my face! :loopy:

sparkle1.jpg

sparkle_2.jpg

sparkle_3.jpg

boom_1.jpg

Anyway, so here's my story. I began ring shopping this past Spring. Like your average guy, I knew very little about engagement rings before shopping. I could probably guess three out of the four C's if I was lucky, but that's about it. My girlfriend is very sweet and simple, she would be happy if I put an onion ring on her finger, and knowing her, she would probably even let me eat some of it! :lol:

She is very modest and doesn't ask for much, so I wanted to go all out for her! And if there was anytime to go all out, it's an engagement ring, am I right?! The ring is a complete surprise, I am trusting my judgement of her taste and style. I think I know what she likes pretty well, and if not, there's no turning back now!! :eh:

When I began looking for rings, I started off looking at your typical round brilliant solitaire. I learned all about them: browsing, studying, obsessing over them!! I found out about blue nile, then white flash, to brian gavin and james allen. I looked at so many hearts & arrows, gia/ags certs, and online magnified 3D videos of diamonds, I swear my brain felt like it was melting. Honestly, I was starting to get jaded and fatigued. On top of all this, 3 of my friends got engaged while I was shopping around, and all of them got round cut solitaire rings for their girls. :shifty:

Don't get me wrong, all of their rings were absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! I just was itching to get her something special, something she could really identify with and call her own. That's when I stumbled upon this wonderful place called, pricescope. I began reading through the forums and realized that the REAL ring experts were here! I would spend all nighters reading through forums until I blanked out, and do it again and again. Through the forums, I discovered GOG and their AWESOME August Vintage stones. At first, I was sure I wanted to get her a AVR, but for some reason, the more I looked at the AVC's the more attracted I was to them. At first, I thought they were kinda funky looking, a little too symmetrical. But the more I saw them, the more I was sure it was the right cut. :love:

I studied all the stones from GOG in my price range, over and over again, and then out of nowhere, I discovered Victor Canera. I know there seems to be some controversies out there regarding the two vendors, but to me, they are equally AMAZING and deserve respect. But when I found out that Canera was located in LA, within an hour a way from where I live, I had to check out his stones in person. So I gave Victor a call, and he was quite nice and professional. He was free to meet the next day, so I took the subway over to DTLAJD. :???:

DTLA is a strange place, such a range of socioeconomic diversity intermingling. Anyway, upon arrival, there Victor was, kind, straightforward and professional. He immediately showed me the diamond I inquired about online, and at that very moment, I knew that was the one I was going to buy! So I bought it. That simple. And as I left, Victor and his secretary laughed as I trembled and stuttered out the door! :shock:

So 2 days later I picked up the diamond from Victor and we talked about settings. In all honesty, I broke the bank on the diamond and could not afford Victor's setting prices. :blackeye:

So now the hunt for settings began. I looked at various vendors online and downtown, and couldn't settle on a particular piece, all I knew was that I wanted to get her a delicate pave ring. I was about to go with a James Allen setting, but decided to give downtown one more look. I went to the International Jewelry Building and started from the top floor and went to every store, and told them what I wanted. If they gave me a good deal, I asked for a business card and something in writing. I worked my way down floor by floor, until I reached the bottom. Next, I sorted out all the cards and decided on my top three. I was surprised at how competitive these brick and mortar shops were, even compared to their online counterparts. In the end, I chose a place called, Bridal Diamond Palace. I know, the name is super cheesy, but they were outstanding! They were very patient and fun, not pushy at all. I had a great time talking to them and they gave me great advice. I even told them I liked a particular setting at another place more, and they asked me to show them a picture, so I went into spy mode and took a picture for them, and they said they could make it for me. They charged me almost $400 less, upped the tcw of the ring, and didn't charge tax, what a deal!! :Up_to_something:

Anyway, to make a long story, even longer, I bought the setting last week. Now here I am, super proud and super excited to offer my girlfriend this beautiful symbol of my great love for her!! I really can't wait! I will be proposing next week, wish me luck! :bigsmile:

I highly commend anyone who actually read this whole darn thing, it was very therapeutic for me to let this all out. Thank you, pricescope, for all your help, I really couldn't have done it without you guys!! :wavey:

-Mike

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re: I just got my Victor Canera Cushion set for my girlfrien

You did great, Mike! The ring is beautiful! It's time to plan the proposal and then come back with hand shots when she has accepted!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You did a truly amazing job! What a ring :love:
The Canera antique cushion is so beautiful with the large facets and high crown. What a dream stone.
The setting complements the cushion so well. The ring is so elegant and unique :dance:
Please post lots of pics, before and after the proposal. This must be such an exciting period for you! Enjoy.

me&myboys

Shiny_Rock

Oh it's awesome!!! :love: :appl: :love:

The stone is beautiful :appl:

Congratulations :wavey: and good luck!! :))

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congrats it's a beautiful, unique stone and goodluck with your proposal, I am sure she will love it!!!

nottospec

Shiny_Rock

What a beautiful ring! Good luck with the proposal

yasssss

Shiny_Rock

that ring is so sparkly and beautiful! And the stone is simply scrumptious! :love: I'm sure your girlfriend will absolutely adore it, you did a spectacular job! And thank you for sharing your experience! I think you're so sweet to be so painstakingly thorough in picking out the perfect ring. It really paid off, that is one fine looking specimen!!! :clap: My fiance also set my ring from a vendor in DTLA, but did his research and sourced the stone from elsewhere like you, and the end result was wonderful. Congrats!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Perfection!! You did an amazing job!!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Love your VC cushion! :love:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Beautiful find, good luck with the proposal!

Thanks for sharing your journey of finding the ring (and it's well written and easy to read, too!).

Please come back with hand shots after the proposal! :))

makeable

Shiny_Rock

Wow, wow! Gorgeous ring, well done :appl:

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock

You are a KEEPER!! I hope you let her go back through and read the threads. You really put a lot of thought in this and it shows. Love the diamond and it looks great in that setting.

Congrats (early)!! :clap: :clap:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What a beautiful ring! :love: Well thought out and great job and please come back with pics. Congratulations and all the best wishes. :appl:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just beautiful - I think she will be blown away! Come back with handshots please!

momma2boys

Shiny_Rock

Your ring is absolutely amazing!!!!!! What a fantastic job you did!!!!! :love: :appl: :love: :appl:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Your story is so sweet! You put so much thought into finding the perfect diamond and a VC cushion is magnificent!

The setting really suites the diamond! I'm sure she'll be thrilled :appl: Please come back with handshots :sun:

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Outstanding!! :love: :love: :love:

She will love it, please come back with hand pics!! It is gorgeous!! :love: :love: Best of luck!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock

You did so well to research all of that by yourself, your dedication shows your love for her. I wish you both all the happiness in the world and definitely come back with a hand shot after you have proposed.

I think my boyfriend could learn from a thing or two from you ;-) She is one lucky girl!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Well done! Thank you for sharing your process.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What a beautiful ring :love:
May you two have many happy years together.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It is beautiful and I am sure she will love it. You did well putting your money into the stone. You can always get another setting somewhere down the road if you want to. I hope everything goes as you plan, but I am sure she will love it no matter what!

sparkleme

Rough_Rock

So beautiful! :dance:

Thank you for sharing the story of this ring! I loved hearing about it :twirl:

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock

I love it when people share their stories, so thank you! Your soon to be fiancee sounds like a wonderful person (loved the onion ring bit!), and the stone you picked for her is stunning!!! :love:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What a great story! Thank you for sharing it with us. Your girlfriend is a very lucky girl.
The ring is just spectacular, you did an outstanding job! She will be over the moon when she sees that incredible ring.
Do come back with more pics please.

Elisabeth1016

Rough_Rock

I'm absolutely drooling over this ring!!! Amazing job, boyfriend!! Your girl is going to be so pleased with your choice!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock

The ring is absolute perfection, and you really went above and beyond in your search! She's a lucky gal!! :appl:

FireMonkey

Shiny_Rock

Absolutely stunning! Best wishes!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mike, What a great story. You Are about to make her one very HAPPY girl. She is going to be thrilled with her ring. You did an outstanding job!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I haven't been on PS much lately as I have been run ragged with other things, but I HAD to comment on this!! It is a truly stunning diamond, mesmerising, and the setting is beautiful! But what I love the most is your efforts in the search. You are fabulous! And I am sure she will explode with shock & excitement when she sees this ring!

Good luck & please come back with hand shots!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

She will swoon!!! It's gorgeous! Bring back the hand shots!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results