shape
carat
color
clarity

I have a confession.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

widget

Ideal_Rock
.....I''ve been holding out on y''all!

About five minutes after I got my Mom''s diamond back from Leon, I decided I just had to have him remount my sapphire.
20.gif
I didn''t want to post about it because I thought you''d think I was nuts...

But it''s Friday, and it occurs to me you already KNOW that I''m nuts...so here goes:
1.gif

Here it is in the old mounting. I could have lived with it, I suppose, but I really didn''t like how high the sapph was set, turning the pear sides almost into accent stones:

Untiolmtg.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
I wanted the three-stone ring (again!), with cushion sides. Leon sent several pics of my stone with cushions, but didn''t like them because he really wanted the outside dimensions to match the sapph.

He liked these best...only problem? they were radiants:

939_2418.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
.....so what does he suggest? Send them off to a cutter to be rounded out a bit!

This is the best before/after pic I could get together. There was only marginal carat weight loss. They are H, SI-1, 1.46tcw:

Ubefafttched01.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
...and finally, Ta-da....the ring! Here''s Leon''s "official" portrait:

r781_05Ww.jpg

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m just curious widget, why couldn''t he just find some cushions instead of re-cutting radiants?

widget

Ideal_Rock
Like most colored stones, this sapphire has wildly different personalities in different lighting situations. It''s at its most brilliant in direct sunlight. Here''s a pic. (IRL it doesn''t flash turquoise, though...)

000_4494.JPG

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
WOW! That''s gorgeous! and your side stones are bigger than my main stone!!! I really love the virbrant blue and how nice to have the radiants custom cut just for your ring. Very unique!

What ELSE are you holding out on????

widget

Ideal_Rock
.....here''s a handshot for perspective. It''s 4.38cts:

Thanks for looking!
1.gif

widget

PS: Surfgirl...I dunno why...he was SO adamant about getting the dimensions right. I think if there was anything I''d do differently, I would have insisted on holding out for sides with chunkier facets. But it might have taken forever...Oh, well...

PPS: Those pear sides are now dangles for my DIL''s studs...

000_4630.jpg

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful Widget!!!! Be proud to be nuts!!! I love it! So are those the pears you used in your earring drops? I was just examining that thread of yours earlier today!
31.gif

sarahthewarrior

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous blue, Widget! And I agree with Swingirl--those sidestones are bigger than my center stone, too! They look great together!

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Widget - you came out of the closet with it!!

I am so glad to see the multi photos and learn the story of the recut. Wow, that is neat. Leon is really a perfectionist and you are gutsy to go with the concept. Result is totally stunning!! It is such a lovely ring and looks fantastic on you!

How long did it take given the recutting?

Congratulations!!
36.gif
30.gif

PS that is one fantastic sapphire - wow-wee!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
widget,
Nuts?? Nope you are my hero. That ring is perfection. Love it. And love that your DIL gets the pears. I think you took this ring to museum quality.
2.gif
I love Leon's work as you know. And think the radiants really work well with the gorgeous sapphire. And having them rounded was a great idea. Cushions are so tough, had you waited for two perfectly matched ones, well you could have waited a looong time. I think this ring is stupendous. I have never used that adjective here yet. So on my scale it's amazing. But you have never done a project that wasn't. You are my mentor.
9.gif

I am up for adoption if you're interested,
31.gif

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Widget, you have exquisite taste and I am so glad you shared your beauty with us. I have been coveting gorgeous sapphires lately, and yours is the most beautiful one I have seen to date!
30.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG Widget, you are a rascal for holding out on us. Your ring is breathtaking. I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. Leave it to Leon to create another masterpiece. It is gorgeous. Bet you can''t take your eyes off of it.

As Lisa put it. You our our Hero!!!!!!!

Linda

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Yowza. That sapphire is a sight to behold. And the ring is just exquisite. Congrats,Widget. And really, you can''t hold out a ring like that! More pics, please.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everybody!
1.gif

Date: 4/20/2007 9:14:18 PM
Author: Beacon
Widget - you came out of the closet with it!!
DF''s necklace made me brave...
5.gif

Cutting the radiants was no big deal...it only took a couple of days, and there was virtually NO weight loss. (Makes me think they goofed when they weighed them originally)

widget

PS: Kaleigh: I don''t know about being a mentor...check out my "before" pictures..LOL

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
hi! i feel confident that you know this but i just want to say you are one lucky lady. you have a beautiful collection of jewels and an interesting life pursuing your projects.

i was looking at a really old thread just yesterday and you displayed your bracelet collection. do you still have the gorgeous diamond and sapphire set in wg or platinum? it is beautiful. if you still have it and are so inclined i would love to see it with that stunning new three stone.
1.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Widget, you really do have a wonderful collection. How lovely that you have such nice heirlooms, and what better way to treat them than to have Leon set them for you.

That sapphire is such a perfect blue. I think the radiant sides are the perfect compliment to it.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Oh, wow Widget, I LOVE the new setting. It''s to die for! The cushions/radiants look awesome with your sapphire. Good work!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holy Smokes Widget; you are a girl after my heart! I love it; blue is my favorite color by the way
2.gif
3.gif
What a masterpiece!!!!

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Widget:
Love the reset with those beautiful radiants. They really do set off your center stone beautifully.
How thrillled you must have been when you first laid eyes on it!
A unique piece of art and expert craftsmanship, for sure!!
36.gif

P.S. wish I was your DIL!!
2.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Widget, I know it''s a sin but I covet your jewelry ;-) Seriously, your 3-stone asscher is my dream anniversary ring, and that new 3-stone sapphire is just amazing. Gorgeous rings!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Widget, that ring is awesome! I really like the radiants with the center sapphire-I wouldn''t change a thing! And that''s really cool that Leon had them rounded out to match your sapphire! He is soooooooo talented-I hope to have a ring by him one day! Congratulations on your new beauty!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SUBLIME, Widget!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I actually think the side radiants are totally perfect with your sapphire. They add some "texture" and interest...and they''re way blingy! YEAH! Congrats and wear it in good health!
30.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
WOW widget - GORGEOUS!!
30.gif

That sapphire is lovely and the new setting really brings out the beauty of that stone!

I love the modified radiants - they are truly unique. I wouldn''t change a thing! Wear it in good health!

You are making me want bigger diamond sidestones for mine.....
31.gif

kohdy

Shiny_Rock
Ooh! I love your ring! That is just gorgeous! And really... thank you for sharing the photos! But you know you could share a little more?
36.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW, Widget it was gorgeous before but now it''s just stunning. It can''t get any better than your sapphire and Leon! Your DIL is sooo lucky to have you as a MIL, you are so giving!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results