shape
carat
color
clarity

I am such a Klutz ... Hence another reset !

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Hello All...
After having my ring repaired 5 times - I decided to have it reset. I am the Queen of Snags, scratches and bent prongs :razz:
I guess I need somethig low key with NO prongs or uneven surfaces so I am not destroying the ring, my clothes, cats, husband and wallet lol. So.... I have been exchanging emails with Michael E I sent him a little drawing with what I envisioned. I like floral/leaves design so I wanted to add a little touch of that.

The ring will be done all in 22KT yellow gold. Brushed finish except the motif part. 2 Rubies in the center flowers E-W and yellow diamonds in the ones N-S (though the CAD shows all rubies). Bezel set. I think it looks pretty! Of course it will look more delicate in real compared to the CAD - and with the trills? I guess I'll make myself some earrings or I'll sell them... It's too somewhat a sour feeling as I loved my current setting - but I am too hard on it and I have pushed it to its limit! :razz:

The rough should arrive to Michael's sometime next week. I am getting excited!

Lemony Side Details.jpg

Under Gallery.jpg

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amethyste, I am so sorry about your struggles with your beautiful ring! You have had a couple gorgeous settings.

I have one concern about your setting. 22K is so soft and you have a lot of room on that setting for dings and possibly big dents.
What will happen if you bang it on something and it gets a big dent in it? It seems like with a ring in a setting as large as that
you would hit it on things more.

Michael E does lovely work.....

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
I understand the concern with the 22KT. the ring will be in a brushed finished so if it mars or dents a little bit here and there, it will be ok. My main concerns is that there is no prongs, that's where I seem to destroy my rings. everything will have some sort of "round" edges so it will help to not catch my ring onto things... The color of 22KT Gold is so gorgeous...

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very true!!! I love the color of the gold! I just wanted to mention it to you because I have a few pendents and earrings in
22K and I have dented every single piece. I am sure it will be gorgeous and I can't wait to see
it. How does your hubby feel about the reset?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love the detailing on the sides, I adore bezels, and I think yellow diamonds in rich yellow gold are just the most luscious things around. i can't wait to see how this turns out!

One follow-up to L2S's point: one way a lot of fine jewelers get around the softness of high-karat gold is to make the piece up in a sturdier alloy, and then simply plate it in 22 or 24K. That way you get the look while keeping the durability ....

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle|1299098280|2863137 said:
Very true!!! I love the color of the gold! I just wanted to mention it to you because I have a few pendents and earrings in
22K and I have dented every single piece. I am sure it will be gorgeous and I can't wait to see
it. How does your hubby feel about the reset?

I plan t osend my ring to Michael E every year or so to have him "tune it up" so the possible dents and scratches are not too concerning to me at the moment. I don't wear my ring for much really other than working weekends, but when I do, I seem to do a number on the prongs only! - I did have a 22Kt bezeled sapphire a while back and surprisingly, I didn't destroy it!

My husband? He doesn't care at all - he doesn't care about jewelry and what I get or do with it. As long as it makes me happy and doesn't
make us housepoor, he's fine with it... Good man :)

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1299098425|2863142 said:
I love the detailing on the sides, I adore bezels, and I think yellow diamonds in rich yellow gold are just the most luscious things around. i can't wait to see how this turns out!

One follow-up to L2S's point: one way a lot of fine jewelers get around the softness of high-karat gold is to make the piece up in a sturdier alloy, and then simply plate it in 22 or 24K. That way you get the look while keeping the durability ....

Thank you for the input, Circe. But eventually, doesn't the plating wears off and you are back to square 1?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ames,
So sorry to hear about your current setting issues...it sure is a beauty though ;( . The new setting is so different I hardly know
what to say. Yes, it is beautiful but so different from what you have. You're not worried about getting away from the
pear shape? Your stone is so lovely and it seems like the shape will be somewhat masked in this setting. I know you may
have other priorities like having a ring you cant damage, but I'm really going to miss the lovely shape of your stone.

I guess *for me* if I were having issues like you are I would probably go for a bezel but in a pear shape. But atlast, Lemony
is not my stone and I'm sure she will be just as beautiful in her new setting. Why I'm feeling so sentimental about your
ring is beyond me :bigsmile: .

Keep us posted... looking forward to seeing her in her new home.

tyty

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Amethyste|1299099176|2863164 said:

Thank you for the input, Circe. But eventually, doesn't the plating wears off and you are back to square 1?

Much more slowly than rhodium plating, apparently. And with high-karat gold, there's the consideration that it doesn't just displace, like platinum: you're actually losing gold with each polish (and/or if you're fixing great big dings and divots). Not a big deal if you're easy on your hands and only polish it every 5 years or so ... maybe worth taking into consideration if you're planning to touch it up every year and want it to be as pretty in 20 years as it is the day you get it.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
tyty333|1299101191|2863198 said:
Ames,
So sorry to hear about your current setting issues...it sure is a beauty though ;( . The new setting is so different I hardly know
what to say. Yes, it is beautiful but so different from what you have. You're not worried about getting away from the
pear shape? Your stone is so lovely and it seems like the shape will be somewhat masked in this setting. I know you may
have other priorities like having a ring you cant damage, but I'm really going to miss the lovely shape of your stone.

I guess *for me* if I were having issues like you are I would probably go for a bezel but in a pear shape. But atlast, Lemony
is not my stone and I'm sure she will be just as beautiful in her new setting. Why I'm feeling so sentimental about your
ring is beyond me :bigsmile: .

Keep us posted... looking forward to seeing her in her new home.

tyty

Hey there :)
I totally understand what you mean by "my pear being lost" in the setting. I am trying to get away with un-even shapes. I don't want to jab the point of the pear in myself, people etc... I know it is totally different from what I have had in the past, but I also had it designed so that I don't wear a wedding ring with it either.

I hiked last summer and fell - I permanently injured my left ring finger nuckle and wearing 2 rings daily is just so uncomfortable for me. I am trying to get a setting that is nice enough on its own - and with presence by itself, easy to wear :)

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1299101606|2863203 said:

Much more slowly than rhodium plating, apparently. And with high-karat gold, there's the consideration that it doesn't just displace, like platinum: you're actually losing gold with each polish (and/or if you're fixing great big dings and divots). Not a big deal if you're easy on your hands and only polish it every 5 years or so ... maybe worth taking into consideration if you're planning to touch it up every year and want it to be as pretty in 20 years as it is the day you get it.

Even though the CAD shows a high polish finish, the end result will be a brushed finish. Doesn't the jeweler just rebrush the gold to "repolish it"? THat's what I understood...

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Amethyste|1299102596|2863215 said:

Even though the CAD shows a high polish finish, the end result will be a brushed finish. Doesn't the jeweler just rebrush the gold to "repolish it"? THat's what I understood...

Yep - but the brushing takes away just as much metal as more traditional polishing (more if there are deep scratches, nicks, etc., which is likelier with high-karat gold) as it's the same method, just a different application of the technique.

And, having read TyTy's observation and your response ... have you considered maybe doing a rounded pear bezel? You wouldn't have to worry about catching/scratching/jabbing, but you'd still be emphasizing the shape ....

Oh! And one last thing - since you mentioned in another thread that the cup in the first setting made it hard to keep the diamond spotless, maybe stress that you want the piercing on the back as delicate as possible? It should still play up Lemony's gorgeous hue, but give you ease of access that way ....

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!!! That is one amazing ring! The rubies on that high carat gold will be gorgeous I am sure and I love the floral design. Your stone is a statement piece by itself, when the setting is done what will be the dimensions of the new ring?

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
missydebby|1299103594|2863228 said:
what's also cool is that the motif will match your tattoo!!

I didn't think about that! oh no :( I hope it will not look too kitchy?! lol

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
artdecogirl|1299104484|2863236 said:
Wow!!! That is one amazing ring! The rubies on that high carat gold will be gorgeous I am sure and I love the floral design. Your stone is a statement piece by itself, when the setting is done what will be the dimensions of the new ring?

Hey there ArtDecogirl! I knew when I posted this I'd have some negative reaction cause it is so different than all the settings I've had in the past. I like that it is bold bold bold. No wedding ring with it, just by itself - and I tend to agree that my pear is going to be able to hold the fort on its own! I can;t wait to see the whole result. THank you for commenting :)
Lemony alone is almost 15mm. I would imagine the hole ring will be close to 20mm at it's longest... wow... That is huge.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
sparklyforever|1299105820|2863259 said:
This is outstanding!
I absolutely love this....

THanks Sparklyforever! :)

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
SandyCheeks|1299105093|2863242 said:
Oooohhhhh! Fit for a Queen! Can't wait to see hand shots!

Hey there SandyCheeks! I think it will not be for another 2-3 weeks... I can't wait either!

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1299104216|2863234 said:
Amethyste|1299102596|2863215 said:

Yep - but the brushing takes away just as much metal as more traditional polishing (more if there are deep scratches, nicks, etc., which is likelier with high-karat gold) as it's the same method, just a different application of the technique.

And, having read TyTy's observation and your response ... have you considered maybe doing a rounded pear bezel? You wouldn't have to worry about catching/scratching/jabbing, but you'd still be emphasizing the shape ....

Oh! And one last thing - since you mentioned in another thread that the cup in the first setting made it hard to keep the diamond spotless, maybe stress that you want the piercing on the back as delicate as possible? It should still play up Lemony's gorgeous hue, but give you ease of access that way ....

Michael will make the piercings as delicatr as possible. At least dirt and grime as a way to escape with this under gallery where as with the cup, it fit so close to the pear that it would just sit there and look ukky. with a good soft toothbrush I should be able to tackle this no problem :)

I kinda like the rectangular shape... it's a nice contrast to the pear shape I think...

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
Amethyste...this is stunning!!

Very well done on your vision for your gorgeous stone - it truly is unique - I like it, a lot! I'm reminded of something someone said on here, I think it might have been 'coati' - 'once you've gone big, there's no going back!' I really think you can totally rock this design...and the warm gold will totally pop. Have you asked Michael about a slightly harder but still warm and high karat gold? I know there are some out there...

http://www.reinsteinross.com Just click on 'workshop' - then 'gold colour'. Their 20k peach looks so pretty.

20kPeachGoldColour_1.jpg

Good luck in your upcoming gorgeous project :))

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
pwendyp|1299148213|2863619 said:
Amethyste...this is stunning!!

Very well done on your vision for your gorgeous stone - it truly is unique - I like it, a lot! I'm reminded of something someone said on here, I think it might have been 'coati' - 'once you've gone big, there's no going back!' I really think you can totally rock this design...and the warm gold will totally pop. Have you asked Michael about a slightly harder but still warm and high karat gold? I know there are some out there...

http://www.reinsteinross.com Just click on 'workshop' - then 'gold colour'. Their 20k peach looks so pretty.

20kPeachGoldColour_1.jpg

Good luck in your upcoming gorgeous project :))

Thank you Pwendyp! OoooOoo... I love the Peach color too!!! Hmmmmm... So many ideas! I am glad you like the design. I know it is different, but I came up with the idea and I am proud of it!

mrswahs

Shiny_Rock
So sad to hear that Lemony is being reset! Though, I've loved all incarnations so far and I'm sure this will be no different! You must post pictures as soon as you get her home. I can't wait to see the difference between the CADs and the real deal :)

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
mrswahs|1299162658|2863678 said:
So sad to hear that Lemony is being reset! Though, I've loved all incarnations so far and I'm sure this will be no different! You must post pictures as soon as you get her home. I can't wait to see the difference between the CADs and the real deal :)

Thank you Mrswahs! I think all will be lovely... :)

singer

Brilliant_Rock
I love it, Amethyste! You are quite the artist! You will totally be able to pull that ring off. And if you don't like it, I will wear it! Hee, hee! That is totally my style! I love leaves and chunky jewelry...no lie! Can't wait to see hand pics! :appl:

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
singer|1299174227|2863855 said:
I love it, Amethyste! You are quite the artist! You will totally be able to pull that ring off. And if you don't like it, I will wear it! Hee, hee! That is totally my style! I love leaves and chunky jewelry...no lie! Can't wait to see hand pics! :appl:

Awww THank you Singer! I can't wait for it myself. I know it will look a lot more delicate than what the CAD is - but yes, Chunky is good since I will not wear a wedding band with it. All by itself :)

ztajanice

Shiny_Rock
I cannot wait to see your new ring!!! Please post whenever you get it!!!!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I can NOT wait to see how this ring turns out! WOW :love: Your other settings were gorgeous but this has to be one of the most unique settings I've seen, what a beautiful design.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amy, I loved Lemony in her first home...then her second...now the new, well it's going to be a showpiece! Can't wait to see pictures of her on your hand. It's going to be amazing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results