shape
carat
color
clarity

I am such a Klutz ... Hence another reset !

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the first and second settings. Your ruby is gorgeous as well. I totally trust you on the third incarnation of lemony! I think it will be sooo beautiful and different.
At risk of sounding like a broken record, I too think that 22K is too soft. I have a pretty large collection of Indian 22K gold earrings and they usually don't make anything with a smooth rounded edge because it shows wear so easily. Most of the gold has a diamond waffle work type of thingy on it.
My suggestion would be to have him bloom the gold ala McII in aqua regina. It will leave a layer of pure gold on top, all the impurities will dissolve away. You would be left with a more durable metal and the look you desire (matte, satin). Just my 2 cents.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I think it's absolutely stunning and predict that you will love wearing this ring! It's elegant and regal. I love the rubies and the floral/leaf motif, and the open work on the under gallery is wonderful!

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
If the ring is going to be 20mm long. Do you have an idea of how wide it will be?

nicolita

Rough_Rock
Wow! That's stunning. I can't wait to see the finished ring!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Any news on this lovely ring?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1312256927|2982062 said:
Any news on this lovely ring?
Ditto. How is the reset??

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Hey there :)

No re-set... I m just going to get the tip repaired and leave it as is for a while... I don't have the courage to do it! :)

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Amethyste|1312598934|2985236 said:
Hey there :)

No re-set... I m just going to get the tip repaired and leave it as is for a while... I don't have the courage to do it! :)
Whew! I did not want to be a bum but I quite like the current setting! Dont change it!!!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi Ame,

I like the design as it is bold and chunky - two things I currently like in rings. I think you should re-set it however makes you happy.
*BUT*, I do have to echo the other posters that it would be much much wiser to have the ring cast in 18k gold and plated in 22k.
If you are planning to send it back to M.E anyways every now and then, sending it back for replating shouldn't be a concern.
Also, seeing as your design has raised vintage style motifs, it would be my guess this is where some of the plating would wear off first and the 18k may show through - this would add to the look/theme of the ring, you may actually find yourself liking it!

Considering you have enough concerns with banging the ring up against other things as-is, I'm actually kind of surprised Michael wouldn't have insisted on the above to you..There are not many jewellers I am aware of who are happy to work in soft 22k gold for even their most careful clients ;))

eta: whoops - I should really read to the end of the thread first!!! I won't delete that part above, just incase you do decide to go ahead with that design though ::)

MizNina

Shiny_Rock
Hi Amethyste how bout a new photo of your beauty, I never tire of seeing it sigh... 8)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amethyste - I know that lemony is a big hunk of rock :wink2: but how deep is she? the reason I ask is I wonder how high this ring will sit off your finger? I would assume it will be quite high and so will be prone to knocks and bangs. With that in mind, would you consider a different carat gold. I understand everything you've said about brushed gold, not minding a few dents and being "serviced" each year by Michael, but a battered and bruised setting will only look good for a short period and then it begins to look unloved.

Could Michael perhaps give you a 14kt gold (or 18k) that had more copper (or whatever it is that makes the buttery colour) to make it the very deep yellow you want?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results