shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you handle compliments or ????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
The last time someone grabbed my hand was in London, but my ring is average size in Manhattan (1.3 carats) so it goes unnoticed for the most part. Now and again someone will comment on its whiteness, but it really is now and again.

To be honest, my Boston Terrier garners much more attention from eager strangers!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2007 1:48:52 PM
Author: TravelingGal

I don''t give a sh*t if someone thinks my ring is glass. I know what it is and I know it brings me lots of happiness. Enough said.
THIS is a classic example of why I LOVE TGal!
9.gif

She''s truly a woman after my own heart!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s very nice when people take the time to compliment my ring, and I think it''s absolutely hilarious when they think it''s fake. So either way for me, it''s a win win. I''ve either gotten a nice compliment, or a good laugh.
4.gif

togal

Shiny_Rock
I've often wanted to grab someone's hand who's wearing a huge, gorgeous diamond to take a closer look....fortunately (or maybe unfortunately) I have too much cooth....but everyone's different.

I have to add that my biggest pet peeve is people who can't just look at your ring, but feel the need to touch the stone? What is up with that? I've had a number of people ask to see my ring, then proceed to stick their big thumb all over it.....why? Especially after it's been so lovingly bathed and steamed.....

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/3/2007 8:42:43 AM
Author: FLgirl41
To be honest, I have a pretty big stone, at least in my mind and I have only had one comment at a gas station where the cashier asked me if it was real. After I said yes, he goes ''and your fiance drives that'', pointing to the car my FI was filling up. I said no, that is my car! I was more insulted about him making fun of my car. I don''t mind it, it is a 2001 chevy lumina, it works just fine so I don''t mind it.

But other wise I think most people in my area just asume it is fake without asking, I live in basically a college town (tallahassee) and not to many girls in their early 20''s have pretty big stones. I would definetly take it as a compliment if some asked me about it because obviously it caught their eye and they felt they needed to say something, so I don''t mind. I can definetly say I am guilty of doing grabbing the hand thing, when i saw my aunt at my cousins wedding she had a huge rock on and I grab her hand and told her it was beautiful, she then told me it was a fake, so I told her it is still gorgious. I felt a little awkward, so I tell myself about that moment when I see beautiful jewelry.

haha! I''m more guilty of that, too - of going gaga over people''s jewelry when it''s fake! Ha - I never assume that people''s jewels are fake - instead I assume everyone else can afford those pieces of bling!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2007 3:08:21 PM
Author: FireGoddess
I think it''s very nice when people take the time to compliment my ring, and I think it''s absolutely hilarious when they think it''s fake. So either way for me, it''s a win win. I''ve either gotten a nice compliment, or a good laugh.
4.gif
HAHAHAHA!

Actually, funny story - this past Saturday, KtRnIce and I had a little ''field trip'' to the jewelers'' building in Boston; spent the better part of the day there (with a break for lunch).

At one of the last shops we went into, the guy behind the counter was resistant to the idea of changing from using F-color melee to I color in a shared-prong band stone. We finally said, LOOK, it''s for a lower color stone. He asked about KtRN''s stone color, and we asked him ''what do you think it is''.

He got all tongue-tied. (I suspect he was just counter help and not really qualified to opine on color). We asked again, what do you think it is? And he says............

"Is is a MOISSAINTE?"
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

My head spun around cartoon-like to look at Kt....I was sure she was going to imbed her stone in his forehead! LMAO.

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
My poor stone was very insulted!
3.gif
9.gif
3.gif

As for me well I really don''t mind. I think it was lack of knowledge which caused him to think that. Not to mention Alj and I are quite a impressive team and I think he was VERY overwhelmed for sure. We had that whole building going crazy with our picture taking.... I think some of them thought we were secret agent spies! LOL!!
27.gif

I''m sure Alj will have some pics to show you guys soon enough...it was an amazing time!

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Keep in mind that you were dealing with a guy who works in a sporting goods store, and a bridal shop salesgirl. Neither one has probably ever seen a big diamond being worn on someone''s hand, in person.

Sporting goods store guy: "Oh my God...that.....I''m sorry I don''t mean to be rude, but your ring is huge...oh it''s a fake."

Translation: I have been pricing diamonds for my girlfriend, and I know what yours must have cost and DAHUM, I am impressed, but I can''t act like it.

Bridal shop salesgirl: "Omg...I just had to come and take a look...ok thank you..i just had to do that!!!!!"

Translation: My boyfriend and I are talking about getting engaged, and I have to let him know that other girls are getting HUGE rocks, so he better get me one too.

Anyway, laugh it off, but be aware of people getting too creepy about it. Nothing wrong with telling someone it is fake it you are feeling really weird about them. They don''t know you anyway.

diamondgirl5k

Shiny_Rock
I think that people who do that are really obnoxious.. especially when they ask to try the ring on!!! that bothers me!!!

louisvgirl

Shiny_Rock
Sandiegolady you always have such nice things to say..yes ruuuuuuuuude indeed.
31.gif

seekerofdiamonds.....love your translations...........you made me laugh...........
36.gif
16.gif

diamondgirl5k.........I can''t believe people ask to try rings on.....I would never ask someone to do that..........I guess I could try to get away with that one "oh it''s kinda small...3.75, sorry"
28.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha-I just had a fake comment the other day! I don''t think I''ve ever had one before. There''s a fun gay guy who works at a gas station I go to pretty often and he was like "Oh my God-is that real?!" and I laughed and said "Yes it''s real!" and then in his next breath he asked "How much was it?!" and I laughed again and said "I don''t know-I didn''t pay for it!"

And then I had a good laugh with my sister who was outside putting gas in her car. I was like "I just had my first fake comment and how much did it cost comment from a stranger! I had heard about them on PS but I hadn''t had either one yet!" She was a little blown away by the comments but I guess I''d been forewarned by my fellow PSers because I wasn''t really surprised or offended!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
A friend of mine has a good response to the "OMG, that''s HUGE! Is it real?" [especially if you are in possibly risky circumstances]. She just says "I wish . . ."

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results