shape
carat
color
clarity

How am i going to set a 9ct round? Not Eng Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is for a lady with a smallish finger, who is not married, middle aged and does not want it to look like an engagement ring.

She does not want to frighten off ''blokes''.
She has had a low simple 5 1/2ct solitaire in a basket 6 wire with plain plump shoulders, and is trading up.

It will be on her right hand.

I could suggest a halo sort of under the stone with a ballerina wave, but cant find any photo''s here?
But she will want it simple (it is a nice bit of ice all by itself
10.gif
, and needs not a lot).

Stone is +13mm

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for setting it as a solitaire in platinum. (I''ve never been married and I''ve always worn a solitaire on each hand. Any blokes who are interested in her will ask her whether she''s engaged.)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/12/2005 8:10:28 AM
Author: Madam Bijoux
I vote for setting it as a solitaire in platinum. (I''ve never been married and I''ve always worn a solitaire on each hand. Any blokes who are interested in her will ask her whether she''s engaged.)
I vote simple too, don''t gild the lily IMO - I would think a stone like that would speak for itself, send it to me Gary then I can best give you my input on how I would like to set it!!!
3.gif
Or would a platinum bezel work on a stone that huge?? Plain, and classic to get away from the solitaire look?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/12/2005 3:59:48 AM
Author:Garry H (Cut Nut)

I could suggest a halo sort of under the stone with a ballerina wave, but cant find any photo's here?

There is one 'buttercup' around here, not hard to imagine in six-fold symmetry.

Can it be a dome or 'saddle' ring? (looking for pictures)
38.gif
Even though not much of the ring will show anyway, a largeer piece would probably look least engagement-ring like.

On a different line, what happened to a pearl could happen to a diamond of comparable size (13mm versis 16 x 18) too.
Something low-set and non e-ring could be a torsade.

Not long ago I've found a deco setting at a jeweler in town made as a rim of half moon diamonds cut to model and set in bezels around a large round gem (missing, this was an empty mounting). No pictures...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I say leave it be. Put it in a simple platunum setting. At 9 carats you really don''t want to fuss with it too much. Something sleek and elegant comes to mind. If you need some detail then put it in the gallery or the shank. Just my 0.2
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would do a split shank setting, something like Tawn''s, maybe even with pave. And setting the stone in a solitaire 6 prong or maybe 8 finger rongs. I think that doing a split shank in a different style for the right hand makes it look less like an e-ring than a right hand ring. But I agree simple, but I think some thin pave could be fun.

Wow a 9c for a right hand ring...sweet. As for frightening off blokes, I will say this...too much bling sometimes CAN intimidate men because they think that the gal may be high maintenance. I have a good friend who is very well put together and who has tons of her own diamonds and guys when they see her feel like anything they could give her would never measure up or that she''d be expensive. So they hesitate to approach her and get pretty intimidated, etc. Silly sure, but more than one guy has told their friend this after meeting her.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha good one!!
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry Doorknob, I have first dibs on that diamond, Garry promised it to me for my boudoir door handle
25.gif
31.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As you know it depends upon her taste.

What about set low in a square shaped ring or an oval shaped ring. I don''t know if the split shank would work with her finger size (ofcourse Garry would know if that is the case), as I have a 4.5 ring size and a ring I own with this style goes down the side of my finger and is covered up by the other fingers, I would not go for that style again unless with a small centre stone.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/12/2005 12:20:47 PM
Author: Mara

I have a good friend who is very well put together and who has tons of her own diamonds and guys when they see her feel like anything they could give her would never measure up or that she''d be expensive. So they hesitate to approach her and get pretty intimidated, etc. Silly sure, but more than one guy has told their friend this after meeting her.
Inspiring self-selection is not such a bad thing... saves on time wasted on uninspiring dates. The downside - well, you get a numbers of undesirable macho graces instead of the mellow ones
9.gif

Funny stuff!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2005 3:59:48 AM
Author:Garry H (Cut Nut)

I could suggest a halo sort of under the stone with a ballerina wave, but cant find any photo''s here?
There is a Leon Mege ring with a halo that waves under the main stone. It may even have a split shank. I think it is an emerald cut diamond center. I know I just saw it posted here recently. Does anyone else know which one I''m thinking of?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes diamondlil, I believe someone posted that ring in madrock''s thread??

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I found it.

leonmegewavehalo.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, I think ''blokes'' are going to notice that rock regardless of how it''s set!
9.gif

If it were mine, I''d want it as simple as possible. It obviously it doesn''t need much help in the bling department.

I don''t care for wave/princess mountings at all...way too ''50s/''60s. I like the buttercup Ana posted, but not sure I''d like it with an RB..

Maybe some version of this...perhaps with less pave and lower elevation might be interesting...

widget

untitlediuy.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL- I agree. Once they see that stone, they will be afraid, very afraid. I would do a split shank pave...which would look great considering that it will be a nice split....I'd usually say leave it be but that screams engagement ring to me. I"m a huge fan of large stones, but I just can't imagine a 9 ct round looking pretty. Just my 2 cents.

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Too much? I thought it was a pretty right hand ring

band2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
What kind of hands does she have??? Are they long thin fingers, what size ring does she wear???

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
I think Mara just posted a photo of a Leon ring that was an large Oval (Oh oh oh it is the lady ring whos ring a 10 carat I think...her friends wear the candy rings in the same shot...for a joke??!!) ...it has the little trail of elegant pave under the stone...in some sort of large gallery basket all in the pave split shank maybe. (I am new to this and don''t quite have a handle on photo postings...sorry) that pave strand is what I am picturing:

To carry on... some where I saw where there was the same type of pave...a thin little strand...just as described afore...and it was flowing over the top of the stone...as if it were a string/or hair of pave just laying over the top. This "String" was going over the stone say from n/w to s/e direction. What about forming an X over the top of the stone in this pave string manner...or even two curved loops of pave strands one on about 6 oclock on the table and one about 12 oclock on the table? Still elegant and simple...yet non engagement standard four prong solitaire. These pave stirngs would act as the prongs and the gallery under the stone would look like the Leon- Mara just posted...One more vision came to mind...four loops of string pave holding the stone...just ever so gently hugging the girdle- just a gentle little loop hug of pave string...maybe these loops go under and cross like the U shaped claw prongs of leons cushion...I think? These strands of pave could be of contrasting metal color and diamond color as well. Say for example the ring is platinum and the pave string is yellow gold and contains yellow diamond melee. Or yellow gold for one strand and rose gold for the cross over.

Would using a contrast in metal color all by itself express a non standard engagement ring? Maybe no pave...just a mix of metal colors...?? One can picture the use of yellow gold with the whiteness of that honker...think of LLL new ring. The one thing that is so striking is the way the yellow gold POPS. Hmmm...on second thought I think you should look into yellow gold and yellow diamond to accomplish your design!!

On the other hand, I agree with the general consensus of the board, simplicitiy is what that size requires. If not using itty bitty pave...go simple.

Too much stuff and it may look like a 70''s crusie ship ring instead of a new millienium look. If you ask for something different... you are not talking about the line of a simple solitaire? Pizazz...but not too much. How does one accomplish that witha 5 and 1/2 carat with/out the standard use of a pave halo of rubies or sapphs? All for a petite mature Lady? What a pickle Garry...What a pickle.

Door Knob

I squeezed out every manner of brain cells I had to offer on this one...I am working with a limited supply. Be gentle with me! wacko:]

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2005 2:16:40 PM
Author: valeria101

I have a good friend who is very well put together and who has tons of her own diamonds and guys when they see her feel like anything they could give her would never measure up or that she''d be expensive. So they hesitate to approach her and get pretty intimidated, etc. Silly sure, but more than one guy has told their friend this after meeting her.
Inspiring self-selection is not such a bad thing... saves on time wasted on uninspiring dates. The downside - well, you get a numbers of undesirable macho graces instead of the mellow ones
9.gif

Funny stuff!
That''s exactly it, some really nice but more mellow guys are unsure what to think ... so she ends up with some idiot dates who want a ''challenge'' or to prove something etc. But what do you do..can''t change who you are!! Hopefully a nice guy will come along and see beyond her bling to her heart.
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Marvel! That''s a fabulous idea! That would really "take away" from the focus on the round ...really a lovely ring!

widget

Ideal_Rock
How ''bout something like this, with colored sidestones? Looks less "ering-y"..

alvr vca.jpg

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
I just reread that...it is a 9 carat round? I thought it was a 5 1/2 Whew. For get about scaring off the Blokes...ggggeeeee I ammmmm scscsc...scared!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/12/2005 2:41:08 PM

Date: 10/12/2005 2:16:40 PM
Author: valeria101

I have a good friend who is very well put together and who has tons of her own diamonds and guys when they see her feel like anything they could give her would never measure up or that she'd be expensive. So they hesitate to approach her and get pretty intimidated, etc. Silly sure, but more than one guy has told their friend this after meeting her.

Funny stuff!
That's exactly it, some really nice but more mellow guys are unsure what to think ... so she ends up with some idiot dates who want a 'challenge' or to prove something etc. But what do you do..can't change who you are!! Hopefully a nice guy will come along and see beyond her bling to her heart.
Yeah! And taking the jewelry off doesn't help either...

This huge round problem got me thinking - my finger is smaller than that stone! Even on a less measly hand the shank of a ring like that doesn't show at all (so bye-bye Cartier plans). Something intricate on the sides makes a difference to the wearer, but from 30cm away all that shows is still just a white round circle
31.gif
So Garry is right about the underside thing - any detail that will tell this ring apart from an engagement ring (or and ex-engagement ring if on the left hand) has to be around the stone somewhere.

This sort of reminds me of Cflutist's story: she recounts somewhere that she moved a large oval ex-e-ring from the left hand to the right to make an 'instant' new engagement ring. It was the position on the hand, not the ring that made the difference to her and everyone else
2.gif

Not a bad problem to have!

PS: LOL, Widget! That vintage VCA ring gives me nightmares!! ...

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Ladies - you all seem to LUV a challenge.

You have given me some ideas.

BTW we made this for her last year, so she is not frightened to wear a-bit-a-bling on a daily basis.

We have since changed it to platinum.
(the left side is the stone color - but the right side shows a little of the subtle effect i might try with diamonds - it is those diamonds that ''hold the stone from sliding out of the setting - and they are sloped to face her)

Bling Aqua small.jpg

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Is your customer sure she wants that stone in a ring? At nine carats I would be more likely to wear it in a tiara, myself.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results