shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Sarah Leonard? Are they trustworthy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Chantilly

Rough_Rock
Hi Fellow Pricescopers!

I just inherited a 2 ct RB diamond (E VVS2 with GIA Cert) from my grandmother after her passing. She had gotten it from my grandfather 5 years ago because when they got married 53 years ago, they couldn''t afford an ER. She never set it because she was afraid to wear such a valuable stone. Before she passed, she told me she wanted me (her only grand-daughter) to finally have it set and wear it to remember her by.

We want to set it in a Tacori setting my DH recently bought. Since the setting was purchased out of state while DH was on a business trip, we can''t bring it back to the original authorized Tacori Dealer he bought it from. He contacted Tacori and they said to bring it to our nearest Authorized Tacori Dealer and they will send the ring setting and the stone into Tacori to be set. They did implicitly say that the stone MUST be set by Tacori or else the warranty is void.

The closest Authorized Tacori Dealer to us is Sarah Leonard in LA. I know nothing about this jewelry store. My question is, are they trust-worthy? Can we trust them to send our stone and the setting to Tacori?

I have a cousin who had left his setting and stone he picked out at a local Jeweler''s to be set and when he got it back, the Jeweler had swapped his stone. If it were not for his insurance and the appraisal he got before leaving the stone with this Jeweler, he would not have been able to recoup his losses.

My cousin, who is understandably paranoid at this point, tells us that although we can trust Tacori not to do anything funny, that we wouldn''t know if Sarah Leonard might swap our stone out with another stone prior to sending it to Tacori to be set. He said by the time we get the finished ring back, and find out, there is little recourse except to threaten the store we think did the swap or failing that to make an insurance claim which will be a huge headache (as it was for him).

My cousin suggests that we just bring it into a Robbins Brothers and watch while they set it themselves. I have a few concerns with this option. Firstly Tacori already stated that we will lose our Tacori warranty if we allow someone else other than them to set it. Secondly, since we didn''t buy the setting or the stone from Robbins Brothers, they would make us sign a waiver saying that they are not responsible for damaging, chipping, or scratching the diamond while setting it. Their waiver also indicates that they only allow stones up to $20k value to be set. My grandmother''s stone is valued at a higher amount than that. We would have to claim that it is valued less for them to even agree to set it for us but that would cause problems with our insurance if something were to go wrong (like them damaging the diamond while setting it).

Please tell me that I can trust Sarah Leonard to send my diamond to Tacori! This stone belonged to my grandmother and it is extremely sentimental to me. I would be devastated if it was lost or swapped out by some sneaky Jeweler!
What would you do if you were in our shoes?

Thank you thank you thank you for any and all advice you may have for me!

-Chantilly

Rough_Rock
Why can''t you mail your setting along with your diamond (insured) to the jewelry store you purchased your Tacori ring from?

I have no ideas about the store you mentioned, but I work in a jewelry store (that sells Tacori) and I don''t understand how that could even happen? We detail the ring, and diamond, and send it straight to Tacori without even a slight chance of anyone changing things out. Maybe you could even ask for them to package it infront of you, so you can see both your diamond and setting in a box ready to go out in the mail?

If you trust the jeweler you bought the mounting from, give them a call, it''s worth a shot.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have an appraisal on it? there can be a "birthmark" inclusion that is distinctive to the stone. Once appraised get it insured and send it off on its way. Once you get it back then reappraise it and have it looked at to make sure its the same stone. Many reputable jeweler do not want to risk their reputation, lose business on stone swapping, however I''m sure there are some mixup at times, BUT to deliberately stone swap would jeopardize their business.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m familiar with Sarah Leonard and I would probably trust them with my stone. They are a bit overpriced, but seem to have good service and a nice selection and are very knowledgeable. I had a ring re-sized there once and they did a nice job.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results