shape
carat
color
clarity

#TBT Hand Forged Custom from Mark at ERD. The "Jennifer"

SunshineRn

Rough_Rock
Let me begin by thanking all of you for posting your beautiful french cut settings. I spent hours reading all of your posts and explored different options for a jeweler to build my dream setting. In the end, I decided to go with someone I trust and am so happy that I made the right choice.

My husband and I have worked with Mark at ERD for almost nine years. I have purchased watches through him as well as diamonds over the years, but I never considered having him do a custom setting. In June of this year I contacted Mark about looking for a new stone. I must say I was very specific about what I was looking for. I wanted an old mine/antique cushion that was close to a 1.0 ratio with a high color and no inclusions under the table. Mark sought out every diamond that matched my criteria, took photos and videos of each of them, and gave me honest advice regarding the stones. In the end, we found a stone that I wanted to see from blue nile. It was not on any other available list. Mark made the connections and got the stone to review. I must say it was perfect! It was a shame that such an amazing stone was hidden in an online list, but we found it! Mark gave me a great price on the stone, which was much less than the blue nile price.

Here are the specs:
Old Mine Brilliant
GIA
G
VS1
8.41 x 8.51
5.76 depth
Ring Size 4.5

Now for the setting. After many months of my husband sending me french cut setting photos, I decided to have a custom french cut setting made for my new stone. I knew I wanted tapered high crown french cuts and I wanted the ring to be hand forged. Mark sent me photos of his french cuts, which were perfect. They were not re-cut princesses, and were custom cut as a tapered set so they did not need to be re-cut into a taper. I must admit that I was extremely nervous having Mark do the setting. He reassured me to trust him. He has a jeweler who does all his hand forged settings and has been in the business for many years. I took a leap of faith and after contacting other well known jewelers from this forum, decided to use Mark.

I wanted to share my story on this forum because I know many of you trust him for finding you great stones, but he is also an amazing and trust worthy source for custom settings as well. It took him three weeks to complete my ring. His price was fair, and he went out of his way to build me the setting of my dreams. I would recommend him to anyone, and view him with the highest regards.

Here are some custom photos of the completed ring. I will post hand shots when I can get some good ones. I'm not the best photographer.

jka_7_.jpg

js1_6_.jpg

js2_5_.jpg

jkc_5_.jpg

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Re: Hand Forged Custom from Mark at ERD. The "Jennifer"

Beautiful stone and beautiful setting! You must be thrilled. Can't wait for your handshots.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
That is absolutely gorgeous!!! Please post handshots :)) All of the rings I've seen posted here from ERD are beautiful! I wouldn't hesitate to work with them. :appl:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Wow I love your OMB!!! Just stunning and a G to boot!!! Just gorgeous! Both diamond and setting are stunning! I bet you are thrilled! And I agree I think ERD is amazing at setting!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is past the point of GORGEOUS!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! :appl: :appl:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is gorgeous! It rivals all the lovelies we have seen from Victor, Steven, and Leon!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, gorgeous stone and setting!!! :love: How in the world did you even find that stone on BN? It appears to be very well cut!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
SB621|1375651210|3496562 said:
Wow I love your OMB!!! Just stunning and a G to boot!!! Just gorgeous! Both diamond and setting are stunning! I bet you are thrilled! And I agree I think ERD is amazing at setting!
I couldn't agree more!! :appl: :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous ring! :love: I love everything about it! Mark did an amazing job with the setting-it's perfect! Spectacular OMB and stunning ring! Thank you for sharing it here and wear in health and happiness!!!

SunshineRn

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your compliments. I honestly could not find the stone I was looking for. I wanted an antique with a higher color, which is hard to find. One morning I went onto blue nile and searched for a a 1.0 ratio cushion with a culet. This stone appeared. I had no idea it would be cut so well until Mark took a look at it and sent me videos. I feel I found a needle in a haystack. He is in the process of making me a 5 stone with old mine cushions. I'll post when it is complete. I respect your opinions. Thanks you all so much!

nowicanseethemoon

Shiny_Rock
Re: Hand Forged Custom from Mark at ERD. The "Jennifer"

What a gorgeous ring for an outstanding diamond. What a phenomenal find!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
That ring is BREATHTAKING!! the center diamond, the claws, the french cut sides... omg... its totally TDF!!! You are a lucky lady, Sunshine!! I'm in LOVE with your ring --- and how perfectly it suits your gorgeous hand!!! Wow --- I'm going to book mark this and come back time and time again!!

more more more pics please!!!!

badabling

Shiny_Rock
I DIE!!!! This is my dream ring! A big, white, chunky, square cushion in a setting with French side stones, double claw with milligrain!! I'm dying of envy,

You are so lucky to have such a beautiful ring. I hope you enjoy her to the fullest. :appl:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely beautiful work and great find on your stone!!! So exciting that you found the one in a million. I am curious to know how the hand forged bench for ERD compares to their CAD pieces (ie % differences)...was that a choice you were given or did you know you wanted a hand forged custom piece? Also curious whether you got comparisons on the French cuts with VC or LM. Enjoy your gorgeous ring!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on such an amazing find!! Who woulda thunk bluenile would even present an old cut that amazing!!! That is wonderful. Thank you for sharing a high color old cut stone. It's so great to see. You must be sooooo thrilled every time you look down on that hand. OMG. I wouldn't get anything done, staring at that rock every moment. :love: :love: :love:

And please, can you get some outdoor shots too??!!! pleeeeezeee????

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats!!!! Your new ring is gorgeous! Love the details on the gallery.
We need more photo's :bigsmile:

We will be ring sisters soon! VC is currently working on my 'Sophia' :love:
I must say that Jennifer is a beauty with her milgrain, pave, gorgeous frenchies and her magnificent center stone!!!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this might actually be the ring of my dreams. Thump!! :love:

SunshineRn

Rough_Rock
I will try to take some additional shots today outside if weather permits. Thanks again for all the kind words.

SunshineRn

Rough_Rock
Pandabee,
To answer your questions, I knew I wanted hand forged. I had read all the posts here on ps regarding different jewelers custom work. I did not contact SK because I knew I wanted the high crown frenchies. I did not contact LM because I thought his price would be more than I could afford. Lastly, I did contact VC and had planned to use him in the beginning. VC was great to reply to all my questions, but could not give me an actual ct. weight on the french cuts prior to signing a work contract. He had beautiful high top french cuts, but they were not cut as tapered sets and had to be adjusted for the stone. When I told him that Mark had the "perfect set" of french cuts in F/G color and VS clarity, I asked if he would be willing to build me the ring if I provided the french cuts. He simply replied NO.

At that point I was left with either contacting LM or trusting ERD to build the ring. To show me the quality of his work, Mark sent me out a hand forged 5 stone with antique cushions. It was to die for and had melee around the basket. I loved it so much I almost purchased it:)

I am sure I would have loved the ring from LM, SK, or VC. I feel proud that I went with ERD, as Mark and I have worked together for many years.

One last thing, I had asked VC to add melee to my original band so I could wear it as a sentimental piece, and he would not do it! It is a platinum band and Mark is adding melee to it for me. I know this is a small issue, but it meant a lot to me.

j3fc2.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
SunshineRn|1375710903|3496869 said:
I will try to take some additional shots today outside if weather permits. Thanks again for all the kind words.

:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

YES YES YES!!! I am really down in the dumps over some stuff, so your little ray of "SUNSHINE" (lol!! name pun intended!) will be a welcome perk today!! I'm going to be hitting the refresh button like its a freakin' slot machine in Vegas, baby!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sunshine - I hope the Jennifer name means its named after you - this ring is so gorgeous and spectacular it deserves to be recognized as 'your idea'!! :halo:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's simply stunning! I love the G color of this stone and I think it is beautiful with the French cut stones!

Can't wait for more pictures - congrats to you and Mark for finding this stone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results