shape
carat
color
clarity

Graduation goodies: Diamonds and Sapphire

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In anticipation of graduation from medical school this week, I acquired two new pieces.
One is a sapphire ring to commemorate the occasion, blue and white are two of my school's colors, so I went with sapphire and diamonds. I thought I'd enjoy a custom made ring more than the Balfour cast rings my school sells. :) The sapphire is from Brad at TheGemTrader, a medium dark heated blue from Sri Lanka, 2.32 ct, 8.5x6.5mm. It's a chubby trillion with a brilliant color, with 5 pt diamond accents. The ring was designed and hand made from a wax model by a local jeweler. I love the flow and curve of the ring, it's a much more substantial style than I usually go for, but I really wanted something a little more chunky this time and it hits the spot! I asked for it to be set as low as possible, and to allow light in with a fluid design, and my jeweler did just that!

The second is an art deco estate piece I just saw and fell in love with. I've been wanting a blingy 5 stone band, but also wanting a sparkly thumb ring to wear as a RHR on casual occasions, and this seven stone/half eternity was just the perfect mix of both. It's heavy and I love the engraving and miligrain all around the diamonds and edges of the band. It's about .6 ct, G, SI1.

On to photo overload! Pardon the quality, it's the best I could do with my phone.

IMG_1898.JPG

IMG_1916.JPG

IMG_1917.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry if the diamonds seem yellow, they're reflecting my house...lol.

IMG_1624.JPG

IMG_1625.JPG

IMG_1883.JPG

IMG_1884.JPG

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on graduating from medical school, that is quite an accomplishment! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Your two rings are beautiful. :love: What a great way to celebrate such an awesome achievement!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess you can tell which one is my favorite, lol. What can I say, I love dreaming in color.

IMG_1861.JPG

IMG_1870.JPG

IMG_1873.JPG

IMG_1876.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last two, the first is fuzzy but shows the color so well.

Thanks for looking!

IMG_1955.JPG

IMG_1962.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
armywife13|1336773722|3193393 said:
Congratulations on graduating from medical school, that is quite an accomplishment! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Your two rings are beautiful. :love: What a great way to celebrate such an awesome achievement!

Thanks! Yeah after almost 20 years of schooling, it'll feel good to finally graduate!

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats - so pretty! :appl: That five stone is gorgeous! Antique?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
They are beautiful! I adore your 1/2 eternity, and love how you incorporated your school colors into your sapphire ring! :love: Congratulations on graduating from med school! That's a really huge achievement!

btw, your phone takes really great pics!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Huge kudos for the med school graduation, MDG! Well done! :appl:

And the bling..... SWEET! I love love love the unique curved setting you came up with. That is awesome! So cool! And what a beauty the 7 stone antique filigree band is. Great find! Enjoy your accomplishments and thanks for the eye candy :love:

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
First, congrats on finishing med school, that's a huge accomplishment! Second, love your new rings! The sapphire is very pretty and I absolutely love the antique band! Enjoy!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! What a great way to celebrate your accomplishment! I love both rings!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the nice comments!

I think the diamond band is supposed to be an art deco antique, there's a script "u" as a makers mark but I don't know what that means...

ETA: I forgot to add that the sapphire ring is a size 4.5 and the diamond band is a 6.5.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats MTG!

Those are gorgeous! The sapphire ring came out awesome!!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on graduating!!!!! That's terrific. The sapphire ring is SO pretty and SO special. Looks great on your hand! I LOVE the wedding band too - such pretty details!!!

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That band is TO DIE FOR. Congrats on graduating and your two new lovelies!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful sapphire ring, MTG! The stone is gorgeous, and I love the flowy lines of the ring! And the jeweler made a great job!

And your diamond band is wonderful, great stones and so well-set!

HAPPY GRADUATION!!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone! I'm quite happy with how the sapphire ring turned out. Working with a new jeweler is always a little nerve wracking but she did a great job with design and execution. I'm glad people like it since trillions don't seem very popular in general.

I'm loving wearing the new band as a thumb ring, adds a little extra sparkle to my day.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congrats on graduating!

The sapphire blue is to die for! What a great find. And a cool setting for the unusual shape, too!

Love the diamonds too :) Such delicate details on that ring.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations. Your rings are lovely!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GemFever|1336872197|3194063 said:
Congrats on graduating!

The sapphire blue is to die for! What a great find. And a cool setting for the unusual shape, too!

Love the diamonds too :) Such delicate details on that ring.

I'm pretty sure it was the unusual shape that made it available and affordable to me. It can pay off to keep an open mind about these things when looking at colored stones, color is king after all!

Hmmm. I'm now debating whether to wear it with the point up or down. Point up looks more flattering I think, but I can admire he sapphire more point down. Lol.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mitsui4|1336920410|3194308 said:
The band is beautiful~!!

Thanks! Even though the carat weight isn't huge, the little miligrain box details make it look much more substantial so it has quite lovely presence and coverage. It definitely overpowers my Ering so I wear it on my right hand.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results