shape
carat
color
clarity

gold vs. silver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
What are peoples'' opinions on the best metal to wear everyday? I was wondering which metal was stronger/harder gold or silver and more likely to stand up to fairly frequent wear?

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
I think both stand up to daily wear pretty well - they just have a different look. i think silver is harder for jeweler to work with than with gold. Silver rings on my leave a black tarnish on my skin... Which gold doesnt.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I prefer white gold. Silver tarnishes too quickly for me to wear everyday, whereas I''m really lucky as far as white gold goes - I haven''t had to replate a single piece yet.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
well I like white gold as well, however on "fun rings" with gems, that is on the less expensive side, I will buy silver.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I prefer yellow gold for nearly all of my every day jewelry pieces. You don''t need to replate it like white gold, no allergy problems which white gold can cause, and no tarnishing like silver. Besides, it looks like gold.

C

cozzagirl

I have worn both silver and gold extensively in everyday rings and found that the gold didn''t bend or become misshapen like the silver did...

me&myboys

Shiny_Rock
gold (whether it be white, yellow or rose) would be less prone to "bruising" and definitely no tarnishing. if you opt for a lower gold content, the metal will also be harder (ie. 9ct is harder than 22ct) but less valuable.

silver, though, for everyday wear is good, too. i suppose, in the end, it''s all about what you want to wear and if you have a preference for either.

sorry....i don''t think i am of much help to you.....

blackberry16

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
A lot of my semi-precious are set in silver and have lasted for years, but the sapphire ring I wear everyday is white gold and I love it (except for the replating).

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for the advice. I appreciate all the different opinions too.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Supposedly the argentum silver doesn''t tarnish. I have a few and they have yet to tarnish. Yay for a less expensive option !

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/22/2009 8:32:02 AM
Author: sonomacounty
Supposedly the argentum silver doesn''t tarnish. I have a few and they have yet to tarnish. Yay for a less expensive option !
A few corrections:

Properly worked (heat treated) and cared for argentium is tarnish resistant. This doesn''t mean it never tarnishes (it takes longer to in ordinary situations and can get a yellowish coating that is hard to remove in others - the beachm for example).

I am not a huge fan of argentium and prefer sterling. Then again, silver doesn''t tarnish on me so maybe I am lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results