shape
carat
color
clarity

Friends please help with my decision!!!!

What should I do?

• Upgrade your stone to a 2.1 ct., or as big as you can get for the $$ you have now.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Are you crazy girl? Dont touch your ring, get a blingy eternity band, that should satisfy the urge

• Reset your stone into a delicate halo. Extra blingage right there.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

So besides working on picking out my future SIL''s ring (I''m helping my brother with that), I have been thinking for awhile about my own situation. I want to make some kind of decision about my ring. Currently, I have a 1.7 EC solitaire that I know is gorgeous, but Im a little bored with it. I want something a little more blingy!!

So, I have 3 choices, and I am asking for help from my PS friends to help me make my decision. First choice is to upgrade my stone to @ 2.1-ish ct EC. Choice #2 would be to leave my rings alone and just get a blingy eternity band. Choice # 3 would be to halo my current diamond.

For those of you who havent seen my current set, here it is:

ringspaveecdani.JPG

dani13

Ideal_Rock
If I were to halo my stone, this would be a setting I would definitely consider, but will I be bored with this or will it be out of style in 10 years?

Emerald Cut 2.39 ct 1.59 ratio 0.54 tcw-6.JPG

dani13

Ideal_Rock
The problems:

1. Upgrading to a 2.1-ish is not going to make a huge difference visually between my current stone and the new one I dont think. Although its a big price jump- is it worth it? I compared a 2.1 to my stone and I didnt see that much of a difference at all.

2. My husband is not really crazy about the whole "upgrade" thing. I think he is more attached to my ring than I am!

3. Hubs does not like halo-type rings. I dont want him to hate my set! Its important to me that he like whatever Im wearing.

4. If I get the eternity band, Im afraid I wont wear my set that much anymore. I tried on some e-bands yesterday that were completely gorgeous/stunning/blingy!!

UGH!!!!!!!!!! HELP!!!
39.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted for no 1. I don't think a blingy eternity band would help. I should know, I'm facing a similar decision as what you're facing, and I have 4-5 eternity bands of different styles and colours and I don't think they help at all.

Well, I think it depends on what it is you're looking for. What you do mean when you say "you're bored"? I think your current set is gorgeous! Are you looking to go bigger or are you yearning for a different look? It is the former, then I'd go for option 1. If it's the latter, I'd halo the stone. I don't think halo'es will become dated. In any way, who cares as long as you love it!
1.gif

ETA: After I replied, i see your second post. Hmmm.... not so sure what to advise you then!
1.gif

ArtistJess

Shiny_Rock
I bet halo-ing it would look amazing. IMHO halos never go out of style.

wsblue430

Brilliant_Rock
The picture you posted of the EC with the delicate halo looks amazing!! Also the band to be pave just as shown, very delicate and very blingy!
It is such a classic, timeless look and will NEVER go out of style! I think this look with your 2 wed bands would just complete it! Best of luck and please share with us what you end up going for! :) Its so classy and so super chic in my opinion!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not always the biggest halo fan but I think a very thin, delicate halo would look nice. The small stones will give some bling to your large center stone. Maybe hubby wouldn''t be too adverse if it''s not a wide, heavily detailed halo.

If you can''t see much difference in the larger stone, then there really is no point. Upgrades that don''t show up much look larger for a bit and then when your eye gets accustomed to them, they look just like the previous stone. (Why oh why does it have to work this way?!?!?!?)

Your rings are very pretty though - I think we all get the bug every so often to do something different. Most of the time it will pass if given enough time!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
My vote would either put it in a halo setting or put your EC into a nice three stone setting for some bling.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, put it in a 3 stone, Timeless....

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I voted for the larger stone, but ... if the issue is visual boredom, perhaps switching stone shapes might rekindle the spark? A radiant to retain the shape for a link (and the setting!), maybe?

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I voted for the halo because I don''t think it will ever go out of style, even though it''s personally not my own taste.

HOWEVER...I totally second (third? fourth?) the idea to turn your current ring into a stunning 3 or 5-stone ring...that''ll get you the extra bling, AND keep hubby happy b/c it''s your original diamond and not a halo, but still with extra bliiiiiiing!
31.gif

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2009 7:24:04 AM
Author: ArtistJess
I bet halo-ing it would look amazing. IMHO halos never go out of style.
Ditto and ditto! HALO THAT BABY!
9.gif

A halo on an emerald cut is especially stunning! They really compliment one another, and it will dramatically increase finger coverage. The halo will make the current stone look bigger than the 2.1 carat possible upgrade.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have a beautiful diamond, I would halo that gorgeous gem for sure!

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
why don''t you get diamond on the band...sidestones
30.gif
or a delicate band of diamonds leading up to the center stone

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I think your set is gorgeous and classic, but I think if you are bored...add some sidestones! Love the LM links that ebree posted.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I lust looked up the mm difference between your diamond and a 2.1 and it looks like it would be about .3 mm. Although noticable, I don''t think it will satisfy the desire for more bling, esp. since step cuts are a more subtle cut of diamond.

I voted for the halo. I think you hubby will come around if you love it. That is a stunning halo setting and very subtle, I am sure he will love it.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the halo idea - but I''d hold that off for after you can no longer reasonably upsize your stone
31.gif

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2009 11:12:25 AM
Author: geckodani

Date: 12/9/2009 9:29:19 AM
Author: EBree
LOVE the three (or five?
31.gif
) stone idea.

Like this

Oooh, or this!
OMG YUM!!!
GASP!! I love number two!

You know, I am thinking of UCLA belle who tried a bunch of different rings and then settled on a three stone with traps like number two and that was THE ring. I feel like it is such an amazing look with step cuts and will give you much more bling than an upgrade of the centre diamond.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
2nd five-stone Ebree posted!! YES!

* no to the upgrade -- isn''t dramatic enough to be ultimately satisfactory -- also, 2ct EC''s aren''t "blingy". It isn''t going to solve the "blingy" yen.

* no to the halo -- yes, you''ll be bored w/it (or it will look dated) in 10 yrs -- JMHO! The ones out there are gorgeous no doubt -- but ... no.

* no to the eternity band -- unless you''re looking for an alternative to your set. I agree you''d wear your set less. My friend has a lovely one from Tiff and has stopped wearing her set totally.

FWIW -- I love your set AS IS. The ring has always been a Harry Winstony masterpiece and it looks perfect on you & with your bands. Have you noticed the surge of folks coming BACK to solitaires like you already have?
1.gif

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
I think that the solitaire is classic. I think it will never go out of style!!

It looks great. What you have now is a pretty blingy set to me! :)

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
I feel like halo's are best with round stones when it comes to larger fancy shaped stones like yours. If you get a halo, it is obviously a halo, won't have the same illusion it woud with a round stone. Does that make sense? I like halos that make it look like the center stone is larger than it really is, but with an EC the size of yours it will obviously be a line of diamonds around your stone...I don't know if that makes ANY sense!! lol!

I vote for a blingy eternity....yum!

ETA - that leon #2 is BEAUTIFUL!!

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/9/2009 1:32:53 PM
Author: D&T
Date: 12/9/2009 9:29:19 AM

Author: EBree

LOVE the three (or five?
31.gif
) stone idea.

Like this

Oooh, or this!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
HUBBA HUBBA
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

LOVE THIS!! Or even just tapered baquettes would look stunning too. I''m not a huge fan of halos on step cuts, personally, and I don''t think a 2.1 upgrade will probably satisfy your quest for bling!

Do you think your urge for more bling is because an EC (or other step cuts) sometime appear less "sparkly?" Since you aren''t opposed to upgrading the stone entirely, why choose to upgrade to an EC? Perhaps a cushion or RB would give you the more "blingy" appearance you seek? Just a thought, IMO your ring is stunning as is!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d keep it as is and add in a few new fun mix/match eternity bands. My thoughts are re: upgrading is that generally, if you always want to change the eng. ring, you may find that you''ll always see new ways to "improve" the ring after seeing other settings you like. At one point, it''s good to settle down and be happy with what you have!
2.gif

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Have you had a serious look at turning your beautiful EC into a 3 stone, with sidestone. Have a look at some of LM work in this area, they are classic and divine and you still keep you original stone. I havnt got time to go looking now, but ave a looka t Leon site.

good luck
d2b

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results