shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Fancy vivid yellow pear: meet Marilyn!

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
I apologize in advance for lousy cell phone pictures. I can't even remember where my "real" camera is.

Anyway, I recently reached a major life goal, and I decided to get my FIRST-EVER piece of diamond jewelry to celebrate. In the spirit of "go big or go home," I decided on a fancy color in a custom RHR.

I started with this diamond from Leibish & Co. 0.52 ct GIA fancy vivid yellow, SI1:

img-20170130-wa0081.jpg

Obviously, her name is Marilyn. (And that is not my thumb.)

So I took her to my friendly local jeweler, a family-owned business that has been around for decades and won lots of awards. My request: "I want something so sparkly that birds will see it from the sky, swoop down, and try to take off my finger."

We decided on a halo that would make the little pear look bigger on my finger without overwhelming it, and a split shank with pave in 14K white and yellow gold. The master jeweler/business owner also suggested matching FVY melees on the shank, and I decided to put in yellow surprise stones as well. Once we finalized the CADs, the actual making of the ring took two weeks.

And today I got the long-awaited call...Marilyn's gown was ready for the red carpet.

img_1425_0.jpg

The yellow stone really glows in outdoor lighting. (I have a size 4.25 finger.)

img_1450_1.jpg

The side view. I didn't want the pave to come too far down.

img_1453.jpg

The surprise stone. Kind of hard to see the yellow, but it matches the main stone really well.

And finally...

img_1456.jpg

They gave me a cool LED box 8-)

I'm just so pleased with how it turned out, and I can't stop staring at it. The jeweler's asked me to bring it back in April so he can enter it in a regional competition for jewelry design. Last year he took Best In Show, so I guess he's pretty proud of the project!

Now if I could just get my hands on some matching earrings...

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is such a pretty ring! Congrats on putting it all together and for achieving your life goal. Good for you!!!! :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a lovely yellow. Pretty ring! :love:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It turned out amazing! :love: congrats on reaching your goal! :appl:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! You created a beautiful memento of your accomplishment. I love that you marked the occasion with something that will last and you will be able to enjoy and wear for a very long time.

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
I was determined to get some better photos this morning! (Is there any way to edit the OP to tell newcomers that there's better stuff down the thread?)

img_1458_0.jpg

img_1462_2.jpg

img_1465_0.jpg

img_1469.jpg

img_1471.jpg

^^ I think the last photo's the only one that gets close to doing the color justice--in real life, the center stone doesn't have the slightest tinge of green or brown. The camera's not really capturing that well. But at least the little details of the ring are clearer!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a stunning & sunny colour!

The design is lovely too - I love that it's a bit different!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an amazing stone!!! I love the design of the setting, as well as the yellow accent stones. She looks beautiful on you!

naivemelody

Rough_Rock
I love the scale of the halo compared to the stone, nice delicate melee but big enough to really contrast with that gorgeous yellow pear - awesome pick! :love:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like ray of sunshine!

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
naivemelody|1489182982|4139009 said:
I love the scale of the halo compared to the stone, nice delicate melee but big enough to really contrast with that gorgeous yellow pear - awesome pick! :love:

Thank you! I actually spent a lot of time on the melee, lol. The jeweler showed me 10, 15, and 20 pointers. In the end, we decided on 15, and I was really glad to see they didn't overwhelm the stone in the finished version. I feel like I ought to give the place a shout-out: Art Jewelers in Woodstock, GA.

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
Should we call this diamond " The tear of the sun"? So beautiful ring! Enjoy it!

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
Vogue|1489184031|4139016 said:

Thank you! I actually spent a lot of time on the melee, lol. The jeweler showed me 10, 15, and 20 pointers. In the end, we decided on 15, and I was really glad to see they didn't overwhelm the stone in the finished version. I feel like I ought to give the place a shout-out: Art Jewelers in Woodstock, GA.

Congrats on your new beauty! Let us know if Art Jewelers takes "Best in Show" again! Btw, I believe you mean to say 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0 pointers.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! That is such a bright yellow! The yellow stones in the setting really do add that extra something to pull it all together. Congratulations on the life goal you reached, and congratulations on your pretty ring!

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
Skhii|1489187987|4139054 said:
Vogue|1489184031|4139016 said:

Congrats on your new beauty! Let us know if Art Jewelers takes "Best in Show" again! Btw, I believe you mean to say 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0 pointers.

D'oh!! Yes, that's right. 15 point melee would be quite something, wouldn't it?

BELLA9280

Shiny_Rock
So pretty I love the setting and the accents on the side !!! Congrats on your accomplishment :)

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So beautiful.
Of course , I am partial to a yellow in a halo :angel:
But, I love a haloed pear, a split shank, surprise stones. You did all that and still have sleek elegance, too!
Enjoy, wear it in good health.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful diamond! The setting really highlights the sunny yellow color.

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What an amazing ring!!! I love everything about it! The color of the yellow diamond is so beautiful and I love how the little bezeled yellow diamonds really add a unique flair.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning color. Enjoy that beauty!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:dance:
I apologize in advance for lousy cell phone pictures. I can't even remember where my "real" camera is.

Anyway, I recently reached a major life goal, and I decided to get my FIRST-EVER piece of diamond jewelry to celebrate. In the spirit of "go big or go home," I decided on a fancy color in a custom RHR.

I started with this diamond from Leibish & Co. 0.52 ct GIA fancy vivid yellow, SI1:

img-20170130-wa0081.jpg

Obviously, her name is Marilyn. (And that is not my thumb.)

So I took her to my friendly local jeweler, a family-owned business that has been around for decades and won lots of awards. My request: "I want something so sparkly that birds will see it from the sky, swoop down, and try to take off my finger."

We decided on a halo that would make the little pear look bigger on my finger without overwhelming it, and a split shank with pave in 14K white and yellow gold. The master jeweler/business owner also suggested matching FVY melees on the shank, and I decided to put in yellow surprise stones as well. Once we finalized the CADs, the actual making of the ring took two weeks.

And today I got the long-awaited call...Marilyn's gown was ready for the red carpet.

img_1425_0.jpg

The yellow stone really glows in outdoor lighting. (I have a size 4.25 finger.)

img_1450_1.jpg

The side view. I didn't want the pave to come too far down.

img_1453.jpg

The surprise stone. Kind of hard to see the yellow, but it matches the main stone really well.

And finally...

img_1456.jpg

They gave me a cool LED box 8-)

I'm just so pleased with how it turned out, and I can't stop staring at it. The jeweler's asked me to bring it back in April so he can enter it in a regional competition for jewelry design. Last year he took Best In Show, so I guess he's pretty proud of the project!

Now if I could just get my hands on some matching earrings...
He did a fabulous job! It's beautiful! I hope you will update us on the competition...Marilyn has a great chance of taking it!! Good luck! :appl::clap:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results