shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Dreamer's new (to me) Aurora band!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Its beautiful! and it sounds like the perfect solution! Congratulations! :appl:

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
This is such a beautiful band Dreamer and it looks simply fab on your hand. I'm glad that this stunning ring went to a fellow PSer who appreciates the design details and love that was put into the making of this ring. :appl: :appl:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I loved that band when Gypsy posted it and it look stunning on you as well! It seems perfect for what you were looking for :appl:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad you found something that you're truly happy with! It's a real stunner! Wear it in good health!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hummina, hummina, hummina!! so, so gorgeous dreamer!! i love the story of you and your DH opening it together, very sweet! enjoy!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks wonderful on your hand, Dreamer! :love: :appl: So beautiful and a great replacement for your diamond!

Supers

Shiny_Rock
Simply stunning! :love:

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
It's absolutely beautiful and I'm so glad it found a home with you, Dreamer! :love:

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
It looks amazing on your hand!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I loved that ring when Gypsy first had it made. I'm amazed that it wasn't a keeper for her, and I hope that it has found its forever home. :))

Looks awesome on your hand, Dreamer. Blessings on you and yours and a wish for many, many happy married years ahead for you and your DH.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you all so much! It means a lot to me that you offer congratulations and support. I know not everyone thinks I made a good choice 8) But I know without a doubt this was a great decision.

Before I answer some of the questions people asked I thought I would post some "real life perspective" shots. This ring is so impressive from afar. Honestly, the close ups don't really do the ring justice, so hopefully these will give you the perspective so you can understand when I say that this ring is *truly* as spectacular -- more spectacular -- than my solitaire was.

I am a stay at home mom right now with my second son (our oldest is in preschool during the day) so the following photos are my "blinged out mom on the go" montage :rodent:

First, showing how great the band looks in casual on-the-go clothing.

ddaurora17.jpg

ddaurora18.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a series I call "What? I always hold my purse like this!" :halo:

ddaurora19.jpg

ddaurora20.jpg

ddaurora21.jpg

ddaurora22.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
"Just drivin' in my urban minivan to the store!"

ddaurora23.jpg

ddaurora24.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
"Shoppin' at the Future Shop! Don't mind me, I'm just taking pictures of my baby!"

Which baby? 8) ::) :halo:

ddaurora25.jpg

ddaurora26.jpg

ddaurora27.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
wow, this band has such a great presence on the hand!!! you wear it well Dreamer!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
bright ice|1317815865|3033737 said:
It's a gorgeous band and looks perfect on you Dreamer_D. I am so happy for you.

I was oh so close to buying it but isn't it something how things work out.

I'm glad you didn't :devil: In the end you got a lovely ring of your own too!

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'd love to see some pics of this stacked w/a plain (actually a 4mm scattered band, but I won't be too picky ;-) ) as I love the presence of this band and am saving pennies to buy a 5stone (or maybe one of these). :D I looked at BGD, but I'm not seeing it listed, were they going to offer this band as a stock piece or is it still the custom route?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
violet3|1317830706|3033895 said:
I. LOVE. THAT. RING. it suits your hand perfectly and i think you'll be getting more compliments than you can handle! Thanks for taking such beautiful pictures so we could share in your excitement!!!

EDIT: i wanted to say that when I got engaged, i chose an eternity band for monetary purposes as well. Mine is certainly not nearly as blingy as your aurora band, however. I always thought I'd end up wanting a solitaire or three stone eventually, but i just love the way it sparkles all over my finger. I've never gotten the urge to get another ring since i've had it. If i ever do upgrade, I think i'll just get a heftier band :))

Well today at the mall I had two shop keepers slobbering all over the ring, so yes, it is very attention grabbing. I think you need to be comfortable with a good dose of attention to wear this ring. Luckily I am able to struggle through it 8)

I am a total convert. Hefty five stone or eternity all the way. Looks dope stacked too!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
For Yssie:

Is the band comfortable?
Yes.

How comfortable - like, forget about it comfortable? (assuming you could ignore the bling, which of course realistically you could not!) Yup, forget about it comfortable.

Those are not small stones, and it's almost a half-eternity - how does it feel against your other fingers?
I don't feel it unless I purposely smoosh my fingers together, but who does that ::)

How much of a difference do you think the way the ends are semi-bezel-ey as opposed to pronged makes?
I think it makes a huge difference and I would never recommend any other style for end diamonds in a band that will be anywhere near the insides of your fingers. When I had the Dream band designed I had this same feature on the ends and it makes all the difference compared to my other half eternity, which is pokey between the fingers. You want smooooooth between you fingers.

I was surprised by the profile picture actually - I didn't realize the diamonds came that far around, but that's sorta what I'm looking at too, in terms of coverage so your opinion would really be helpful.
You can go this far without any issue but as I said, you need a non-prong end point IMO. Somehow the end diamonds need to integrate into the shank without a sharp demarkation point. This is a place where I think function has to take over from form to a degree, though if you can get both, win win

I think I like the look of pronged ends better for my ring, since everything else is pronged, but if you'd asked me I'd have put pronged endings on the Aurora too, and it looks fantastic with the wraps, so maybe I am not correct in pronging mine, either! Another question - can you actually *see* the wraps when you are wearing it IRL? I can't in your photos, but I know photos don't necessarily tell the whole story.
No you can't see them when worn. They are like the milgrain, something private for me to see and enjoy.

Does it spin? I'm thinking the way the diamonds start and spread over so much of the top of your finger, it might not actually spin all that much, since the diamonds are so high?
Hmmm I don't know about high or low, but you need to size a band like this right. This one does not spin at all. If anything the band is a little tight on me now because my fingers are still swollen post-baby. But it might spin a little in the winter when my fingers are thinner. I will likely stack in that situation.

I know you haven't had it for long yet 8) but if you were working, do you think you'd wear it to work?
Oh I will absolutely wear it to work! The students will all be talking about it :bigsmile: Yes, it is redunkulously eye catching, but it looks more mature and classy than the solitaire did somehow. Fitting for my position in life I think. There is something very "high status" about this type of ring, perhaps because it is more likely to be worn by women who are more mature and have been married a while and no longer feel engaged. I'm not knocking a solitaire, luvs them too, but this style of ring communicates something very different socially than a solitaire I think. And even though I have *never ever* seen a woman where I live with a ring like this, I don't feel self-conscious about it like I did sometimes with my RB. I think part of it is that although this ring is so beautiful it hurts, it is not *that* expensive compared to my RB -- which people likely thought cost $20k or something (not knowing the color you know?). That, more than its size, is what sort of got to me a little about my RB. So I think the fit it good for me with this ring. I will buy more diamonds for RHRs most likely, but they will not be huge. At least not for now :Up_to_something:

It must be *blinding* IRL, and it has huge presence on your hand Yes and yes. - how do you feel about wearing that much bling, after your solitaire?

I love it. Love love love love love it. Did I say I love it? THIS is the look I was after going for a bigger and bigger RB. That is why I always wanted a three stone, because I love the look of a finger full of bling. My husband and I both adore this ring, it is very much more *me* than a honkin' solitaire. And it cost less than half :lol: Wish I had known, but all is well that ends well. It is also glowy white which I really love. You know G is my favourite color.

And how do you feel about the look, after having a solitaire with such a different type of light return for so long? ]
I was thinking about this today. As you know, diamonds this size really excell at splintery light return and bright white light return. After lots of experimentation and time I know that those are the type of light return I like the most in a diamond. Owning an AVC for a week helped me learn that. I wanted to love the chunkier slower scintillation of the cuhion, but it was not me. I like the loud fast flash. So I am very happy with how these babies perform. The ring twinkles. Obviously, you cannot beat the look of the facets in a large RB, and I would love to have that too -- I mean if I could have this ring AND a large RB I would. But if I had to pick, I would pick this ring over the larger RB for the hand presence, and also for the optics.

'Course, the downside is that I won't get to see it unless you come down over the border - or I go up! At least Gypsy was in the US... :devil:
Yssie I go to conferences all over the US. If I am ever in NY, we will meet up! I want to try on your mongo ring, it is on my to do list ;))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
motownmama|1317842463|3034016 said:
BTW - where did you sell your fab solitaire?

Good Old Gold :))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cozystitches|1317876758|3034377 said:
I'd love to see some pics of this stacked w/a plain (actually a 4mm scattered band, but I won't be too picky ;-) ) as I love the presence of this band and am saving pennies to buy a 5stone (or maybe one of these). :D I looked at BGD, but I'm not seeing it listed, were they going to offer this band as a stock piece or is it still the custom route?

Cozy I will be happy to oblige as soon as I buy the platinum band I plan to get! I sold all my white gold today, and have sold a bunch of other things too, and will be buying a 3mm heavy dome comfort fit wedding band soon to stack with this baby on occassion and also wear with my semi-bezel solitaire. Hopefully will buy it this month! For now, though, I don't have any bands to stack with it except my diamond half-eternity!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
do you plan to wear your dream band and/or solitaire on your right hand? i can't imagine you would want to take this band off :cheeky:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47|1317880535|3034392 said:
do you plan to wear your dream band and/or solitaire on your right hand? i can't imagine you would want to take this band off :cheeky:

I don't think so, they would have to be resized substantially to do that since I don't like wearing rings on my right ring finger and my right middle finger is someting like a size 8.5 (mr rings are all 6.5 now)! We'll see over time, but believe it or not there are occassions where I would not wear this ring and it will be nice to have a great heavy dome platinum wedding set to wear then, as my semi-bezel and future plat wedding band will be. That set is better for around the house, hanging out with the kiddos, visiting my mom at her house in the woods, going to the park, travelling. You know, everyone needs casual bling :bigsmile: I will likely be getting a knife edge spacer like lotsofsparkle's to wear between the dream band and my birks ring. If I find I am not wearing it then I will think about resizing those other rings for the right hand.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer,
I just wanted to pop in and say I thought you made a very brave choice selling your solitaire. We were ring twins (almost same size and specs).
However, I am blown away by your replacement. It is beautiful!! Not such a difficult choice now I see the end result.

I wish you great health and happiness to wear it!! :wavey:

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is a perfect alternative to a solitaire, it looks wonderful on you and it has so much sparkle it totally fits the bill and with you a SAH Mom I think its a perfect choice :appl:

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl:
It looks great on you!!!
:appl: :appl: :appl:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, its still gorgeous! You must be on cloud 9!!!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1317872501|3034352 said:
"Shoppin' at the Future Shop! Don't mind me, I'm just taking pictures of my baby!"

Which baby? 8) ::) :halo:

Ahhh, Dreamer, I love it on you! You're so right, it does look more 'mature' and 'married' than the big solitaire. And I have to say, your little guy is totally adorable. This coming from someone who doesn't plan on having kids. He's so cute! :tongue:

I really want an AVC solitaire upgrade someday, but this makes me want my 5 stone that much more. :wink2:

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
oh wow! :love: :love: I love the miligrain on the shank and it just looks great on your hand! BTW your baby is adorable!!

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer, those real life perspective shots *do* put it all into perspective! What an amazing and substantial ring it is on your hand. I totally agree that this band says "mature and married" in a way that a solitaire doesn't.

Btw I laughed out loud at the purse shots because I actually do carry my purse that way! Or at least I did until I got my ER this weekend and realized I can't do that anymore!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results