shape
carat
color
clarity

Do I *need* the VC setting?

lucky-gal-2017

Rough_Rock
kylier|1487001717|4128091 said:
I have a VC ring and the odd thing is everyone has noticed the craftsmanship, even jewelry newbies. They notice the little details and they know there is something special about it but they don't know exactly what. I feel it is that artist's touch.
i will also say that my VC is definitely more durable than other platinum rings while being more thin and intricate. The platinum mix he uses is amazing. i wear a platinum ring on each hand (switching hands randomly) and the VC definitely has less wear.
If I was going with a halo style and I was going for that minimal metal look I would not hesitate to use VC.

^^ That

All I've been seeing are photos. I am obviously a newbie as well and just can't wait to see the final ring, or even see the workshop!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI--I had Victor make my Emilya setting in advance (based upon the measurements of my MRB) and had him set it at a later date. He does have various sample settings in his office to view during your visit. In my case, I found it most useful to look through the VC SMTB thread for inspiration/details on my modified Emilya beforehand. Good luck in your journey! :wavey:

img_14993.jpg

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
lucky-gal-2017|1487041882|4128369 said:
Honestly, never had I thought I'd get 100% unanimous vote for Victor!

I called the toll free number to make the appointment today. I didn't expect Victor to pick up the phone! My heart skipped a beat. It feels a little bit more special already. Probably nobody has scheduled for an appointment so far in advance? Anyway, I can't wait!!!

(I hope Victor is not reading this thread, I'm going to go hide under a rock now....)

Anyway... should I go for the wedding band? Might as well... right?

Definitely, have him make a band as well, if you want a matching set. You can always get a plain band or engraved band later for an anniversary gift (or, if you have kids, for push presents :naughty:). And there are lots of fun stacking rings on Etsy if you want to mix things up later.

kylier

Shiny_Rock
LLJsmom|1487003809|4128104 said:
You said you would feel more loved with the VC setting so to me that's simple. If it's in the budget get the VC.
I get what you are saying about technology but Victor is an artist.
He has strong feelings about proportion and beauty and will let you know. He will want to build a ring around the stone that perfectly fits it, and that takes into consideration melee size, metal width, etc.
I have a VC ring and the odd thing is everyone has noticed the craftsmanship, even jewelry newbies. They notice the little details and they know there is something special about it but they don't know exactly what. I feel it is that artist's touch.
i will also say that my VC is definitely more durable than other platinum rings while being more thin and intricate. The platinum mix he uses is amazing. i wear a platinum ring on each hand (switching hands randomly) and the VC definitely has less wear.
If I was going with a halo style and I was going for that minimal metal look I would not hesitate to use VC. The extra strength would be important. There is a reason he costs more. If you can afford it you will save yourself heartache. I have seeen too many threads where people were taken in by jewelers promising to deliver cast work to imitate hand forged settings by master jewelers and those threads often end in heartache and wasted time and money.
That said, jewelers really can cast beautiful, amazing halos, but just don't expect them to look like the handforged inspiration pics. With halos that are really delicate there is a limit to what machines can do.

Kylier, sorry to threadjack but your VC ring is a constant source of inspiration to me. I love so many aspects of your ring. Even though I have a VC myself, yours is just so beautiful. You get spoiled by VC. Once you have one of his, it's hard to go back. And I cannot agree more with what you said. I'm just too lazy to type it all out. I've made the mistake of trying to settle. Cost me twice as much, easily, in the end.

Aww thank you he did an amazing job.

kylier

Shiny_Rock
lucky-gal-2017|1487045706|4128389 said:
If I was going with a halo style and I was going for that minimal metal look I would not hesitate to use VC.

^^ That

All I've been seeing are photos. I am obviously a newbie as well and just can't wait to see the final ring, or even see the workshop!

So exciting that you get to see the workshop! :appl:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lucky-gal-2017|1487041882|4128369 said:

I called the toll free number to make the appointment today. I didn't expect Victor to pick up the phone! My heart skipped a beat. It feels a little bit more special already. Probably nobody has scheduled for an appointment so far in advance? Anyway, I can't wait!!!

(I hope Victor is not reading this thread, I'm going to go hide under a rock now....)

GET THE BAND. You really are a lucky gal. You get to do it right the first time around, and not waste time, energy, money and disappointed hopes. I wish I was as smart as you, 6 years ago.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buy the Victor, you won't regret it. None of the cast pave I've seen compares to his work. And many people try and copy it and then end up paying for something they are not happy with and then later buy the Victor anyway because they know they compromised, so in the long run it's cheaper and less drama to just go with what you wanted in the first place.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Skhii|1487139224|4129006 said:

Correct. No ring is indestructible, especially not a micropave ring. Plan to take off these rings when gardening, working out, housework, etc. I am bad and wear my rings for everything--the worst thing that has happened is that I managed to squish some of the bezels of my Whiteflash bezel band (the one in my avatar photo), likely while lifting weights. Solution? I had the ring fixed and resized by Whiteflash so I can more easily take it off when I do heavy lifting.

Definitely insure your jewelry, as well.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
rubybeth said:
Skhii|1487139224|4129006 said:

Correct. No ring is indestructible, especially not a micropave ring. Plan to take off these rings when gardening, working out, housework, etc. I am bad and wear my rings for everything--the worst thing that has happened is that I managed to squish some of the bezels of my Whiteflash bezel band (the one in my avatar photo), likely while lifting weights. Solution? I had the ring fixed and resized by Whiteflash so I can more easily take it off when I do heavy lifting.

Definitely insure your jewelry, as well.

+1

I used to work at a jewellery store and people were always shocked if their rings needed maintenance. My boss would be like, do you use your car every day? (Yes.) Would you ever expect your car to not need maintenance?

So things that get a ton of use (vehicles, shoes, rings) need maintenance every now and again.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to say 'Yes! You NEED the VC!' But I see that you've already realized that! :appl:
Get the band, too.

I'm so happy for you and your wonderful fiance!

Have fun! :))

lucky-gal-2017

Rough_Rock
I need your help again! Turns out I can't have everything and I need to figure out how I want to proceed. One of the things I like about Emilya is the donut at the base. I don't want to go without it.

-> The wedding band now becomes a problem
a) Get a band with a little arch that hugs around the donut. Since I want to be able to resize the ring in the future, it'll not be a full pave. So this is not an option.
b) Get a spacer. Victor confirmed that the spacer is probably going to have the same width as the ring, which is too thick imo. So this is not an option either.
c) Go without the spacer. Frankie did it. But my fiance thinks a wide gap in between or both not totally parallel to each other doesn't look good...
-> Victor came up with the double-shank idea. :appl: We both really liked how it looked. The shanks can be made even thinner because there'll be more support, even better! We were thinking of getting that as a engagement+wedding band combo, and a separate plain platinum band for times when I don't want to be flashy. The problem is, if I get it now, then I don't get to wear it until after we get married. :blackeye: So that means I'm stuck with the current ugly setting all the way till almost the wedding. :knockout:

Assuming I can wait this long... What do people usually do with the engagement ring during the ceremony? I assume I only get to wear it after the ceremony is over, then it'll miss out the photo shoot during the ceremony?

The visit to Victor's office was awesome! He showed me a couple other pieces that blew my mind away. I ended up really liking the "pointy-er" version of Josie with an aquamarine center stone (https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/vintage-pave-and-bezel-set-halo) and didn't think it's too flashy at all. Some day when I get a second ring, this is definitely it!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are remaking the cast 100x you are going to be paying for 98 casts!

If you are not sure that the Emiliya is exactly what you want, then don't take the plunge and keep looking at different setting styles. If it were me, I'd get a simple solitaire for now and live with the stone and get to know its personality first before finding its forever setting.

This is what I have been doing with my asscher. I love solitares, so that is what I put mine in. Now it's 5 years later (this was an upgrade from a smaller RB) and I have recently been able to decide that I cannot deal with how face up small it is but that I LOVE (LURRVE :love: ) this stone.

I also sat back and watched people here and what they do (some have done multiple resets) and who they work with. I also have been trying to notice what is trendy (and will be out soon) and what is classic. Because while I suppose I may reset more than once if that is what I choose, I hope I will get it right the first time and not have to do it again.

I decided this past weekend, nearly 5 years after getting this stone, that I will work with Caysie Van Bebber (CVB ID) on a setting. I feel for what I want and the quality and price point I am willing to spend, she will give me a treasured piece of art. (Don't get me wrong-- I LOVE LOVE LOVE Victor's, but he is out of my price range I think).

It's baby steps for me. If you know you want Victor and your fiancee agrees, then I am so happy for you and I can't wait to see the ring!!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could certainly have it made cheaper. I will certainly not be of the quality of his piece. The Emilya has a tilt to the halo and the metal work is so fine that you can barely see it.

Assuming that you will never want to upgrade this ring, subtract the difference in price between his and the lower priced contender. Divide it by 20 years and see how much money you would save over the course of 20 years for a ring that you will presumably wear every day. I honestly don't think you would regret spending the money when stretched over time! If the money is a huge issue, wear your ring as a solitaire until you are able to get the setting you want. You will never regret buying quality!

His perfection is in that tilt!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are my thoughts (biased by my own experience): get the VC.

It could be hard to upgrade later, and maybe you will be sentimental about the ring you had on your wedding day. My DH wanted to spend $10k on an e-ring for me... but he had a lot of student loan debt so he and I picked a $175 e-ring and a $400 band. No regrets, because we had no money! But now that we're out of debt, so you think he's motivated to spend even a few thousand on bling? Nope! Lol! It's saving for babies and a home. So keep in mind that depending on your finances, saving money might make sense (if you're in debt) but if you're living comfortably then damn - buy it now. Life is short. Your fiancé is ok with it.

Especially when you know that quality like that exists, I think it would be hard to settle for less. If you bought a cheaper setting and a stone fell out (this happened to my friend) - would you be devastated and regretful?

Good luck and congrats on whatever you decide!

I see I am late posting to this thread... but. Yeah.... house and babies first and for me now its bunch of kids and soon to be 3 in college! I'm trying to squeeze a CVB ID ring in before the reality of 3 university tuitions kicks in.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I need your help again! Turns out I can't have everything and I need to figure out how I want to proceed. One of the things I like about Emilya is the donut at the base. I don't want to go without it.

-> The wedding band now becomes a problem
a) Get a band with a little arch that hugs around the donut. Since I want to be able to resize the ring in the future, it'll not be a full pave. So this is not an option.
b) Get a spacer. Victor confirmed that the spacer is probably going to have the same width as the ring, which is too thick imo. So this is not an option either.
c) Go without the spacer. Frankie did it. But my fiance thinks a wide gap in between or both not totally parallel to each other doesn't look good...
-> Victor came up with the double-shank idea. :appl: We both really liked how it looked. The shanks can be made even thinner because there'll be more support, even better! We were thinking of getting that as a engagement+wedding band combo, and a separate plain platinum band for times when I don't want to be flashy. The problem is, if I get it now, then I don't get to wear it until after we get married. :blackeye: So that means I'm stuck with the current ugly setting all the way till almost the wedding. :knockout:

Assuming I can wait this long... What do people usually do with the engagement ring during the ceremony? I assume I only get to wear it after the ceremony is over, then it'll miss out the photo shoot during the ceremony?

The visit to Victor's office was awesome! He showed me a couple other pieces that blew my mind away. I ended up really liking the "pointy-er" version of Josie with an aquamarine center stone (https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/vintage-pave-and-bezel-set-halo) and didn't think it's too flashy at all. Some day when I get a second ring, this is definitely it!

I think a spacer is probably the best idea. It's the safest.

As for the engagement ring during the wedding ceremony, you usually wear it on your other hand and then put it back on your ring finger after you put the wedding band on. Or, if it doesn't fit, you could have your husband carry both rings and slip them onto your hand. You can wear whatever combo you want during the photos. I think you are overthinking this a bit. :)

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to have a dual shank Emilya (which has since been sold) many years ago. I prefer the single shank Emilya now and wear my Emilya pretty much on it's own as an ER.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great choice!!! Victor is a lovely guy and his pave second to none. I own Frankie's halo ring and a number of other Victor pieces and they are all amazing in quality and detail.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP
A little late for response.....I have never seen a VC piece of work, so I cannot comment. However, others on the forum have used Steven Kirsch and Brilliantly Engaged to do halo work, and have had rave reviews. When resetting my wife's ring I priced all 3. I found that VC was the highest cost, followed closely by SK and then BE at the lowest cost. I read other posts, especially from MomHappy who went with BE, I decided to do the same. I must say the workmanship was impeccable and I saved a good chunk of change. My wife was thrilled with the work. I had to send the ring back for a repair (our fault), and they were amazing at what they did to repair. Again, I have never seen VC or SK work, so this is obviously not a bash on them, but others on this forum have been happy with other vendors workmanship. What ever you do, I hope you are happy with the results.

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
I also like the single band on the emilya. I wear my wedding band on my right ring finger. I actually like it better that way now.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
I wear mine with a very thin (1mm) platinum spacer I had done by a local jeweller (you can also find them on Etsy). They warned me that it might be delicate as it's so thin, but it's been fine.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't worry about the wedding band - y'all are way overthinking this.

Just wear the engagement ring with the double shank if that's what you want. NO ONE is going to be like "oh my god, did you already get married?"

Or don't worry about whether or not there is a gap - plenty of people wear rings with gaps. And the size of the gap with the Emilya is tiny. Get a slim plain band or one like this and then a diamond band, and you'll have diamond-plain-diamond, and that's a nice look.

Personally, I would just forgo the diamonds on the basket because once you put a wedding band by it, they'll be nearly impossible to see. Keep the diamonds on the struts but forgo them on the donut, or forgo the donut altogether. I know you like it, but realistically you won't be seeing it that much on your hand once you have your wedding band.

As to what you do with your engagement ring during the ceremony - I wore it on my right hand, then moved it over after the recessional. If you get the double band ring and would like to wear that on your right hand, just have your husband place a plain band on your finger that you can later wear on vacation or if you're somewhere where you'd like to wear a ring but not the Emilya (for instance, I wear a plain band if I'm doing outdoorsy activities, especially if sunscreen is involved so I don't damage or gunk up my fancier rings).

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh wow!! How exciting to get to visit VC's showroom! You are very lucky, and I doubt you'll regret it! And, yes, go ahead and get the matching VC band. :love:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with distracts. Over thinking. And that is from the ultimate over thinker. You might change your mind. A spacer that is not the same width as the ering is going to look weird. I know some people don't mind but I am willing to bet that over time you will feel that way. The eye will often find symmetry most pleasing to the eye. And who cares about wearing both the band and the double shanked ering. If you like it wear it. Maybe I'm not getting the problem.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results