shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond I bought has a blemish right in the center shoudl i

lauleebon

Rough_Rock
hi I am looking for opinions about this, I upgraded my 1 ct for a 2.02 ct round It's very pretty but it has a spot right in the center the rest is eye clean, I can exchange it for one without the center spot but spots more off to the sides, my current one is an I1 would be an si2 if it wasnt for this one spot, The diamonds i have looked at so far are not as clean looking as my current. So basicaslly clean ring with center spot or clean center with side blemishes that cannot be hidden by prongs.

_385.png

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Re: Diamond I bought has a blemish right in the center shoud

where to start...

1. You're justified to feel a little iffy with that stone. An I1 with a noticeable blemish in the middle would be a deal breaker for me. Are you married to a 2ct size? Would it be possible to go down to a smaller stone with an ideal cut? If your jeweler does not have higher clarity stones in stock, they may be able to order them. A vendor with lower grade stones and no better stones in stock is a red flag. Do you need to stay with this vendor?

2. I assume you are working with a vendor's upgrade program in-house? Is this a chain or an independent jeweler? Have you considered selling the 1ct outright and using the funds to price shop for a quality stone on the pre-loved market?

A "deal" is only a deal if you are paying a good price for the stone you are buying and you love the stone.

Since this thread is about selection, it may be a better fit under Rocky Talk.

I think the size, setting and band look very pretty on your finger, by the way.

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock

If it bothers you now it'll probably keep doing so.

With the four C's, I like to think of them like sliders on a sound board. Dial up and dial down; each is important and each affects price.

I understand size (girdle diameter or "spread") is key to a lot of folks. But weight increases faster than spread. Keeping the same budget and increasing weight means you'll compromise on the other three C's, and it seems the compromising issue here is the clarity.

As far as inclusions go, I care more about how they affect light performance and durability, compared to just being unsightly. If a stone is sturdy and still able to sparkle well despite an inclusion, then it's just an eye sore. It's when an inclusion makes your diamond less sparkly that it's really affecting the whole point of getting a bigger stone. A heavier, bigger diamond with poorer light performance is simply more of less.

I suspect the 2 carat mark is important to you, given that big jump from 1 carat. However, one must remember that size is arguably more important than weight. A 2 carat stone is likely around 8.2mm. If you go down to a cleaner 1.9 carat stone in your budget, you can "dial up" on clarity and still have an 8mm stone, which is very good spread! :read:

Something to consider! Hope that helps. :wavey:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Please hit report concern and ask for your thread to be moved to Rocky Talk. You'll get more help there on your topic.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Can you go down in color and size a bit and up the clarity? What is your current color?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You are usually going to be able to see I1 inclusions with the eye and it can be worse the larger the stone. You sometimes can find a 2 ct SI2 that is eyeclean, but you may have to do some looking. Stick with GIA Excellent cut only, though.

I definitely wouldn't consider a stone with a large visible inclusion. I'd go down to 1.8 cts and get an SI1 or VS2 clarity, personally. Why did they even set this stone in a setting before you saw it? I would tell them that it has to be 100% eyeclean SI2 or SI1.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

To many variables in play here to give really clear advice... I need more information. To start: What is the color of this new diamond? What lab graded the diamond?

lauleebon

Rough_Rock

Hi the new diamond in the picture is an I1, H from Kay Jewelers I did do the trade in program as selling my old ones would get me about half way near the price for a 2 carat, I bought the 1.03 from los angeles jewelry mart not mounted but unfortunately I did not have that option this time. The ring is definitly has sparkle and the dark spot is directly in the center so it almost looks like a dark fisheye. For what I can afford i am stuck with inclusions. So I can exchange for more inclusions off the center or keep the one inclusion in the center. I am really torn.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Can you simply return for a refund?

You are not getting good value from Kay jewelers, no matter how you slice it. You can search on PS for more information, but the gist is that stores like that sell low quality goods with suspect lab reports for more money that they are actually worth on the market. Your trade in likely was less economic than selling and buying from the vendor of your choice.

Does the diamond have a lab report from a reputable lab like GIA?

lauleebon

Rough_Rock

The diamond has a report from GSI which is I think kay's in house not sure, my old 1.03 was an si3 which I found out later si3 is not really recognized. I traded that and a 1.50 3 stone band. I researched the heck out of selling via ebay the solitare but they were really going low on the 1 carat's. Kay did give me more for it which I do know is a scam, I actually started out at pawn brokers to trade but they really didnt have anything (small town). I really just want opinions on the ring if the inclusion in the photo is worse than off to the sides.
:)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, a big dark inclusion is unacceptable if it can be seen with the eye in the center of the stone. I 100% agree with Dreamer that you'd be better off backing out of this deal if you can. But if you stick with it, I will say again that I'd go for a 1.5- 1.8 ct diamond that has a GIA report, Excellent or even very good cut in this case, and SI clarity and eyeclean. I1 is not going to be good in a 2 ct stone no matter where the inclusions are.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1405033411|3710897 said:
Yes, a big dark inclusion is unacceptable if it can be seen with the eye in the center of the stone. I 100% agree with Dreamer that you'd be better off backing out of this deal if you can. But if you stick with it, I will say again that I'd go for a 1.5- 1.8 ct diamond that has a GIA report, Excellent or even very good cut in this case, and SI clarity and eyeclean. I1 is not going to be good in a 2 ct stone no matter where the inclusions are.

+1

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lauleebon|1405027692|3710827 said:
The diamond has a report from GSI which is I think kay's in house not sure, my old 1.03 was an si3 which I found out later si3 is not really recognized. I traded that and a 1.50 3 stone band. I researched the heck out of selling via ebay the solitare but they were really going low on the 1 carat's. Kay did give me more for it which I do know is a scam, I actually started out at pawn brokers to trade but they really didnt have anything (small town). I really just want opinions on the ring if the inclusion in the photo is worse than off to the sides.
:)

If those are the only two options that you're willing to consider head back to Kay's ask them to get the other diamond in. Inspect both diamonds in as many lighting conditions as possible, including outside in daylight if they'll let you. And decide where you prefer your inclusions. No one can answer this question except you. It's not a wrong or right questions and all other things for these two diamonds, including cut which is what provides sparkle and fire, may not be equal.

If you decide that you're willing to explore other options, such as with a better cut or better quality diamond even if it's slightly smaller then people here are happy to help.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock

I know there's a cache to having a 2 ct stone but for me, I wouldn't want to be known as the girl with that big stone with that big black mark in the centre. A 1.8 is very close in size to a 2. No one is measuring it. A visible dark carbon spot in the centre or sides however, is noticeable, even at a bit of a distance and I suspect you are asking this question because it is starting to bother you. If you can't return it, size down or colour down.

Or rather, why don't you tell us your budget (if you took your jewels back and resold them privately) and we can show you some options? This way you can see what's out there, rather than be stuck with the only two options Kay is giving you.

mjg

Rough_Rock

I can't believe Kay even sells stones with such clear arrows

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock

When I first started looking for a Diamond, Kay was my choice. After they ordered three different ones in for me,I could not get one that didn't have large noticeable inclusions. The sales lady had one without giant inclusions but she must have picked through a bunch and she wasn't willing to sell me that one, lol. Yes, they'll give you pretty much full value for your ring in trade in but the ring you get isn't worth what you're paying anyway. I was going to get a 1 1/2 ct for $6,000. I got a refund and I'm so glad I did!

If you're looking on a diamond board then you already know you're not going to be happy with that large inclusion or a bunch of smaller inclusions. Even if you take a loss on selling your Si3 and saving for awhile, you'll be better off in the long run with whatever you buy from somewhere else.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Sure you might get more for your trade in diamond, but you pay way too much for the new upgrade diamond, with no reputable lab report. Trading in that way is penny wise and pound foolish!

There is not intrinsic reason why inclusions in the centre would be better or worse than off to the side.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

So long as the inclusions are visible, they will bother me regardless of whether they are in the center or to the side.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results