shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Earring Carat Size ...

STEPHANSON

Shiny_Rock
i have a pair of .5 carate diamond earrings and am contiplating trading them up. i would love to see you ladies and your diamond earrings on since i am kinda scared going too big (i know what am i thinking too big lol)

my settings are a simple four prong, are there anyother kind of settings so they dont sit high ?

thanks in advanced ladies !

SparkleNut

Brilliant_Rock
Hi STEPHANSON :wavey:

I have a pair of 1ct studs that are set in a 4 prong martini. My jeweler showed them to me and I just loved the idea of the martini earring with an extra prong for extra protection of the stone.

Here are some pictures.

HASTUDS02.jpg
just the studs. . .

IMG_6573.jpg
next to my 2.01ct solitaire for size.

Hope this helps. . . :bigsmile:

beadchick

Shiny_Rock
I have an answer you aren't going to like, partly b/c it doesn't include any pics.

At any rate, earring size is SO about perspective, its not even funny. I've got 0.3ish BGD bezels and they are DEFINITELY sizeable in my ears- to the point that I've thought of adding the jackets, and think they'd hang over my earlobe too far. Do you have loose or connected earlobes?

I can tell you that my little 0.3's (on my connected lobes) look about the same size as my friend's 1 carats on her loose earlobes. And, the BGD bezel sits flush and great against the ear- I take them out and clean them once a week. I can highly recommend the setting.

What kind of upgrade are you looking at? Are you attached to the diamonds? If so, I'd bezel them. Those are my 2 cents.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I know this suggestion is very frowned upon here, but I would suggested trying on a pair of fakes in the bigger size and see if they work on your lobes. I have big fat lobes so I know I can work a bigger pair, but my best friend has elf ears and can't wear much bigger than .25 carats.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Beadchick is right, it's all about proportion. I've also got attached earlobes and there just isn't as much room. Instead of looking at carat weight, try looking at how wide the stones are in mms. Martinis are great for keeping the stones closer to your ear and they're just pretty to boot. (I've been trying to decide between a pair of BGD leverback huggies or halos and the halos might be too wide at only 5.6mm. I've got three holes in my left ear and a lousy 5.6mms is probably going to be too close to my second hole to look good. )

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MIne are 1.2 tcw and I love them and wear them 24/7, but to be honest sometimes I even think they look too big - it's a really personal decision.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
SparkleNut|1289257142|2758684 said:

I have a pair of 1ct studs that are set in a 4 prong martini. My jeweler showed them to me and I just loved the idea of the martini earring with an extra prong for extra protection of the stone.

Here are some pictures.

HASTUDS02.jpg
just the studs. . .

IMG_6573.jpg

Sparklenut, I'm assuming you are talking about 1 tcw studs, so .5 carat per ear? I think that's a great size. I have small attached ear lobes, and I currently wear 2 tcw CZ studs, but I think they are too big on my ears, so I'm shooting for a little smaller, but real diamond studs in the near future.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I have 0.4 ct (ok 0.37 ct!) in my ears. They look substantial for sure. I have small lobes, I can prob only go up to 1 ct max.

glossnpolish

Rough_Rock
I agree with most other posters here, the maximum size your lobes can take will depend on the amount of "real estate" you have on your earlobes, and also whether the lobes are detached from your cheeks.

However, in my case, I also consider another factor; the size of my facial features.

I have smallish/petite ears, and I am only 5'1". But I have large features; eyes, nose, thick lips? So when I first got my first pair of earring studs of 1.2ctw, and posted photos of only my ears, the earrings looked sizeable. But include a photo showing my face, and you'd agree that I can afford to go bigger! As such, I do envy women with finer features; they look good in the daintiest accessories!

Here're actual pictures for your reference:

1.2ctw on my ear
IMG_0326.jpg

1.2ctw disappearing into nothingness when you include my face
IMG_0389.jpg

SparkleNut

Brilliant_Rock
jaysonsmom|1289275689|2758931 said:
SparkleNut|1289257142|2758684 said:

Here are some pictures.

HASTUDS02.jpg
just the studs. . .

IMG_6573.jpg

Sparklenut, I'm assuming you are talking about 1 tcw studs, so .5 carat per ear? I think that's a great size. I have small attached ear lobes, and I currently wear 2 tcw CZ studs, but I think they are too big on my ears, so I'm shooting for a little smaller, but real diamond studs in the near future.

I had totally lost this thread some how or another. . . LOL! But yes. they are .50ct each I should have posted 1cttw studs. :bigsmile:
I was going to so with 1.20cttw or 1.50cttw :shock: but after some research I realized that I would going to look very strange with these studs dropping off my lobes. So the 1cttw works perfect for me. =)

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here are my 1ctw studs. I think they're too small, but I have fat earlobes.

earring.JPG

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I have average to slightly large detached earlobes. I don't have small or delicate features, in fact there's nothing small or delicate about me. In spite of that I don't like my earrings to go over about half ct per ear. I'll wear more than one pair at a time, but my largest, which are my danglies are .47 ct each.

I also can tell color well even on small stones, so I insist on high color. My 24/7 pair is .41 ct F-SI1 ACA's and my danglies are D-SI1/E-VS2 ACA's. I also have a pair of .34 ct each G-SI-1 BGD's, but am considering trading up to a higher color.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Mine are 1.1cttw and I really feel blinging when I wear them. (and I have big lobes-Athena, you ain't seen nothing!) For me personally, I think this is the biggest I'd go for everyday wear with my lifestyle. I used to have a .67cttw pair, and those had great presence, too. I think .4-.5ct per ear is a great, versatile size if it's in the budget.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Mine are 1.16 cttw (RB 3-prong martini setting) and they are actually slightly bigger than I wanted (but they are what my jeweler had in stock & the price was right). I wanted 1 cttw, which I thought would have been perfect for every day wear.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results