shape
carat
color
clarity

cubic zirconia flaws? bubbles?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

laurar

Rough_Rock
I just read that cubic zirconia can have gas bubbles in it that can be confused with diamond inclusions...is there a way to tell the difference between the bubbles and inclusions?

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
Yes to the bubbles, no to the confusion. No diamond, even a synthetic one, has gas bubbles in it. Under magnification, gas bubbles look nothing like normal diamond inclusions.

laurar

Rough_Rock
thanks...can an untrained eye tell the difference between inclusions and CZ bubbles? how?

I am trying to determine if some small marquis (1/3 ct or less) diamonds I recently had remounted into another setting are real or if the jewelry store switched them. They were my grandmothers (from her eternity ring) and I am suddenly suspcious due to some other actions by the jeweler. Unfortunately I was naiive enough and trusting enough to not have them appraised beforehand.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 8/22/2003 5:16:12 PM laurar wrote:
thanks...can an untrained eye tell the difference between inclusions and CZ bubbles? how?

----------------
Probably not. You have to look at a fair number of different stones before you get a feel for what's natural or not. It's not something I'd try to explain over an internet discussion forum.

Small marquise stones are not common with cz's. I'd be really surprised if the jeweler was able to come up with them unless you left the ring with them for a while. Unless you can get a hold of a thermal diamond tester, the only thing to do is find an independent appraiser to take a look at the ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results