shape
carat
color
clarity

Bad bad cushion bezel?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DearBuddha

Brilliant_Rock
Yikes! That metal is very uneven! You have such a pretty stone, and it doesn''t look like your old jeweler knew how to do a bezel setting properly-I''d fix it if I were you.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think saving up for a well-executed setting would be my course of action if I were in your shoes. Your diamond is too pretty to be in a setting unworthy of its beauty.

And after living with a bezel setting for nearly 3 years, I would suggest you opt for white gold (which will be easier on your budget) if you don't NEED platinum. I've had mine since Feb of 06, and I've worn it relentlessly since then. No need for a rhodium plating and hardly any scratches and dents.
1.gif

This pic is from about 2 weeks ago.

original.aspx

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Yes, beautiful stone! Unfortunately I don''t think the jeweler did it justice in the setting- it really does look like some shoddy work. Though, of course, giant magnified pics can sure make any problems look much worse than they ever do in person.

I''d just save up for the setting of your dreams rather than going back to the original jeweler- it''s been long enough, I don''t think there''s much you can expect to get out of them, and if they made two not-so-fab settings, I''d say it''s time to just reset elsewhere. If you adore claw prongs, get them. There''s no reason on earth they shouldn''t work with your stone if the setting is made properly to begin with.

And did I mention your rock was lovely?
9.gif

Kel

Rough_Rock
I think I will stick with platinum as my wedding ring is platinum.

Can I name the jeweller or is that bad? I just went on his website and he''s made some gorgeous rings (close up shots look very good) - so why the hell is mine a particularly bad job (and more than once!) I''m very scared to use another jeweller but am making enquiries now - can anyone suggest a good one in London/South East area? Also wouldn''t mind seeing some other "safe" settings or gorgeous solitaire settings for cushions - just in case I change the setting completely!

Thanks again - you are more than helpful!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2008 10:02:53 AM
Author: Kel

Can I name the jeweller or is that bad? I just went on his website and he''s made some gorgeous rings (close up shots look very good) - so why the hell is mine a particularly bad job (and more than once!) I''m very scared to use another jeweller but am making enquiries now - can anyone suggest a good one in London/South East area? Also wouldn''t mind seeing some other ''safe'' settings or gorgeous solitaire settings for cushions - just in case I change the setting completely!

Of course you can post who did it. It''s just as helpful to know the jewelers people have had bad experiences with as those we''ve had good experiences with.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2008 10:02:53 AM

Can I name the jeweller or is that bad? I just went on his website and he's made some gorgeous rings (close up shots look very good) - so why the hell is mine a particularly bad job (and more than once!) I'm very scared to use another jeweller but am making enquiries now - can anyone suggest a good one in London/South East area? Also wouldn't mind seeing some other 'safe' settings or gorgeous solitaire settings for cushions - just in case I change the setting completely!

Dwight Schrute: "First rule in road-side beet sales, put the most attractive beets on top. The ones that make you pull the car over and go, 'Wow. I need this beet right now.' Those are the money beets."

Same thing with a website
2.gif
. I may not have an E-ring but I do have PLENTY of experience with jewelers. Websites are great for seeing thier best work what they are capable of doing, but the fact is if your not spending tons of money you may not get the best. It's sad some people think like that. I would research the jeweler and see if you can find people that had work similiar to what you want done and see what there experiences are, costs, craftsmanship! Ask friends who have had work done for refferals. People who have had great work done LOVE to talk about it, same with bad work. Save money for the setting you really want and then also spend that time researching a quality jeweler in your area!

Kel

Rough_Rock
Google it - Chris Parry - he also has a blog and if you look at other rings he''s made they don''t seem to have any "errors" like mine....I won''t get done for slander will I?!!!

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I''ve just looked at his website and blog....

hes got a few rings and a pendant that have the same look and feel that your setting does.. maybe it''s just his style?

I agree though, you could make that diamond shine in a new setting :)

Kel

Rough_Rock
The only cushion he''s done is my ring so perhaps it''s mine - the old setting is on there also under commissions.

Think I''ve decided now on a new setting - I think I might go for a four double pronged now.....or a better bezel....

Again recommendations from any UK people are more than welcome! I''ve found lots of "good" jewellers but not sure how to go about finding some feedback on their commissions (obviously some websites have people''s comments - can I go by those?!)

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
That could be pretty, but that bezel is just awful (sorry, IMHO). I would just cut the losses, and find another jewelry...

So sorry!

Kel

Rough_Rock
Don''t be sorry - I''m just sorry that I''ve had so many bloody engagement rings all because of rubbish jewellers!!!!!! I''m wondering it would be too costly to use a US jeweller (which would mean sending ring back and forth - customs charges???) If I could use Mark Morrell then I would.....

Now I''ve got all these comments, I don''t want to wear my ring anymore, I feel sorry for my cushion :(

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/31/2008 12:07:15 PM
Don''t be sorry - I''m just sorry that I''ve had so many bloody engagement rings all because of rubbish jewellers!!!!!! I''m wondering it would be too costly to use a US jeweller (which would mean sending ring back and forth - customs charges???) If I could use Mark Morrell then I would.....

Now I''ve got all these comments, I don''t want to wear my ring anymore, I feel sorry for my cushion :(
Oh no, don''t feel that way at all. The ring is very, very, pretty. Most poeple I know and see are wearing I1-I2 diamonds on their fingers and not nearly as nice as diamond as you have. Don''t let this thread make you not love your diamond ring. I just love cushion shape and sparkle, and the setting does not make me think the ring is not pretty.

Lisa

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Some of the pieces on his blog have a sort of... *handmade* feel that I think was also brought into your ring. He doesn''t seem too into the whole precision thing. Your diamond is very beautiful though and deserves a proper setting!

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/31/2008 3:20:13 PM
Author: oobiecoo
Some of the pieces on his blog have a sort of... *handmade* feel that I think was also brought into your ring. He doesn''t seem too into the whole precision thing. Your diamond is very beautiful though and deserves a proper setting!
I got the same vibe that oobiecoo did when looking at his site. His work definitely looks handmade with precision or polish not being the biggest part of his designs-- I hope that makes sense! I think you should get the setting that you want, but I would go to a different jeweler. Unfortunately I''m unfamiliar with the UK but there are many reputable jewelers that do a great job in the States. Mark T. from ERD also made my bezel set cushion e-ring and I am thrilled to death with his attention to detail and the quality of his work. I think he really is a true artist
1.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry for your troubles. Agree it doesn''t look "right" but don''t know if I''d trust that guy to ever get it right.

Eyecandy? HERE''s cushion bezels done right (and Neatfreak''s ring of course!!)

cushionbezel.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2008 5:09:15 PM
Author: decodelighted
Sorry for your troubles. Agree it doesn''t look ''right'' but don''t know if I''d trust that guy to ever get it right.

me too. I''m sorry to be frank but his work and site sorta look like "amateur hour" to me..
40.gif

I love your stone, it is so pretty and deserves a much prettier home.
I''m not sure where you stand with him, but if it were me I''d be asking for a refund. Nobody who has pride in their work can look at the marks etc on that bezel and say it is acceptable.
Again, I hope you don''t mind me being honest, I hope you can have it resolved quickly.
((hugs)).

Kel

Rough_Rock
Do you think I should at least email him and explain and send him the close up shots? I was thinking of saying I am having an eternity ring made and some jewellers have commented on the workman ship - or is that a bit mean?

I really want it reset now but because of all these problems am having a nightmare trying to decide who to use! Arghhhh!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry for your troubles. Agree it doesn''t look ''right'' but don''t know if I''d trust that guy to ever get it right.

We completely need a jaw dropping emotie. That is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!

I want one!!!

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I do like the stone, which its why it is so sad to not have the perfect setting----but I would still wear it!!!!! And just work on getting a different jeweler to get a slightly more refined bezel...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/1/2008 9:26:44 AM
Author: arjunajane

Sorry for your troubles. Agree it doesn't look 'right' but don't know if I'd trust that guy to ever get it right.

Eyecandy? HERE's cushion bezels done right (and Neatfreak's ring of course!!)

me too. I'm sorry to be frank but his work and site sorta look like 'amateur hour' to me..
40.gif

I love your stone, it is so pretty and deserves a much prettier home.

((hugs)).

I have to agree...I mean this guy has an etsy shop where he's selling hammered silver rings and such, he doesn't exactly seem like a master craftsman to me.

I'd cut your losses and go elsewhere personally...

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/1/2008 9:51:22 AM
Do you think I should at least email him and explain and send him the close up shots? I was thinking of saying I am having an eternity ring made and some jewellers have commented on the workman ship - or is that a bit mean?

I really want it reset now but because of all these problems am having a nightmare trying to decide who to use! Arghhhh!
I wouldn''t personally say other jewellers have criticized it, as this is likely to put his back up.
I would simply tell him the truth - you''re simply not happy with it and its distressing you, its not really the look you were after - politely explain how its a sentimental piece (obviously), and you would like to have something you really love.
If you feel you need "backup", you could say how some friends or family have noticed the flaws in the finish and shape, but just keep it polite.
Unless he is blind or has very low standards, he will have to agree with you imho!

As for the re set, just take your time. I may be wrong, but perhaps this situation has developed by rushing into things previous?
There is an infinite amount of inspiration you can gain around here - and I''m sure we will all be happy to reccommend great quality benches for you to consider.
Clear things up with him first, then move onto the re-set...

Kel

Rough_Rock
Haven''t contacted the jeweller himself yet - not sure I want to as I don''t want him working on it again and he''s going to think I just want a refund (maybe I should aim for something like that?!)

Going to see Susan Astaire (www.susanastaire.com) on Monday for a complete new setting - woohooo!

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 10:47:24 AM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 10/30/2008 10:43:46 AM
Author: iluvcarats

Sorry for thje thread jack:

Neatfreak, I have never seen your rings up close before. What a beautiful stone! Really stunning!
30.gif
Many time ditto! NF, your ring is absolutely stunning! I will have to search your posts to see who set it. It looks positively awesome with the diamond band. I want to copy your look if ever I can afford to get my hands on a nice OEC!

To the person who asked about bezels blocking light to the diamond--I think I heard somewhere that most of the light goes through the table of the diamond, so a bezel does not actually block that much light. Plus bezels protect the stone very well.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2008 10:14:47 AM
Author: NeverEndingUpgrade
Date: 10/30/2008 10:47:24 AM

Author: neatfreak

Date: 10/30/2008 10:43:46 AM

Author: iluvcarats

Sorry for thje thread jack:

Neatfreak, I have never seen your rings up close before. What a beautiful stone! Really stunning!
30.gif
Many time ditto! NF, your ring is absolutely stunning! I will have to search your posts to see who set it. It looks positively awesome with the diamond band. I want to copy your look if ever I can afford to get my hands on a nice OEC!

To the person who asked about bezels blocking light to the diamond--I think I heard somewhere that most of the light goes through the table of the diamond, so a bezel does not actually block that much light. Plus bezels protect the stone very well.

Thank you NEG! Mark at ERD made my setting for me. He was fabulous to work with.

And I agree about the bezels/blocking light. If it''s a well cut stone a bezel doesn''t hamper the sparkle at all IMO and in some ways enhances it (light bounces off the bezel too!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results