shape
carat
color
clarity

August Vintage Cushion, 2.85, K, VS2. Thoughts!?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

estro613

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,

Wanted the opinions of some others on this board. Originally I was looking for diamonds in the F,G,H,I range and was trying to find one as close to 2 carats. Upon visiting GOG and meeting Jonathan (good guy!) I first took a look at the diamond I had on reserve, which was a 1.63, G, VS2. Loved it, but like I said I wanted something a little bigger. Well I ended up making quite a change as I ended up settling on this 2.85, K, VS2.

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/6566

What I like:
The size! I love the chunky August vintage cushion cuts, I also prefer a cushion closer to a square shape, which this one satisfies.

My concerns:
If the diamond were for my finger I''d be a bit more concerned about the warmth of the k color, but I know my g/f seems to be okay with some warmth in a diamond. I also know she loves a big one, which for me is only financially possible at this K color. After looking at the online picture of this diamond, though, I''m a little concerned that it appears more yellowish than some of the other K and L color diamonds on GOG''s website. You would think that this diamond should have a similar hue of yellow compared to other K colors and look slightly whiter than an L color diamond. However when I compare the diamond I purchased to these 2 (one being a K and the other an L) mine looks like it has more of a yellow hue in both cases. Do you guys see that too? I guess it could just be the way the photo was taken or could it be that my color is showing through more due to the size of the stone?

Other K color diamond on GOG

Other L color diamond on GOG

This is going to be set in a solitaire platinum Ritani setting. Overall I''m happy with the purchase, and if it ends up being to warm for my g/f, GOG''s trade in policies have put my fears to bed. Anyhow I just wanted your thoughts on what you think? Shoot away!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
What do I think? I think I am swooning!!!
30.gif
Those AV cushions are TO DIE FOR! Great choice! LOVE. IT!

To answer your question, though... I don't think you can really accurately compare the colors of the various stones by the computer monitor photos. Too many variables.

estro613

Rough_Rock
I''m hoping it''s just the deception of the online photo. Because there is no doubt that it is showing more yellow that the other 2 photos. In hindsight, I wish I had compared the 3 of them in person, but I didn''t catch this until tonight. I did e-mail Jonathan about the online photos, and I''m hoping he squashes my fears that this puppy really is a bit more yellow due to it''s size.

In any regard I''m perfectly happy and excited to see it once it''s set (which I''ve been told will take around a month). Keep the thoughts coming!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I honestly don''t even see the color "discrepency" in the photos that you do. But if there is one, maybe the person taking the picture of the stone you chose was wearing a yellow shirt! Really!

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
That stone looks like it will be gorgeous, as well as being one of the best deals out there IMHO. Ask Jonathan to take a side by side photo with the other stones you were interested in - that should give you a good idea of the color.

rockpaperscissors67

Shiny_Rock
I think the stone is beautiful! I hope to have one of these myself someday and would want it in the J-K-L range because some color with those chunky facets seems right to me. In modern stones, I prefer an icy white, but, oh, in old stones, color simply looks so much better.

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
The one you chose is GORGEOUS! I think the color difference you may be seeing might be different lighting when the pics were taken or the diamond is reflecting the color of something around it. Ditto tsavvy...ask Jonathon to take side-by-side pics.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can''t judge color from photos. The fact is that K color diamonds have some warmth to them. And larger rocks show color more readily then smaller ones because there is more diamond material. BUT in a diamond like that, with that cut, and that SIZEEEEEEE, who cares?? Not me! I would wear that baby with pride! Just choose a setting that shows it off to its best advantage!

DOn''t worry. I think you will both love it but if it turns out that you do not, you can exchage the diamond or upgrade the color later. I know it is not very romantic to say that, but it will set your mind at ease perhaps to know it is not a permanent decision.

estro613

Rough_Rock
Yes, the trade in and exchange policy definitely made my decision much easier. I have a feeling I won''t even have to go that route, but it''s still a great option to have.
I settled on a platinum solitaire setting by Ritani. A fairly simple and classic design (personal preference). I''m having trouble finding the actual setting on Ritani''s website, but I believe I found it here although it only includes one (not so great) photo:

http://www.delmontesmelson.com/jewelry/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=108

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
My thoughts are that it''s GORGEOUS. I bet in person the tint isn''t noticeable at ALL. Plus I prefer a little color in old cuts. She''s going to freak out when she sees an almost 3 carat stunning diamond, and I can guarantee you she won''t mind the color at all!
2.gif

Please come back with hand shots-that setting looks fantastic, too!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My thoughts?! That stone in that size is incredible!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
My thoughts are quite honestly that it's graded by the AGS to be in the range specified by the grade- I really wouldn't worry about it myself. Beautiful stone, BTW! Congrats!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
My thoughts? BUY IT! lol..

My august vintage is an M, and I honestly think these stones *love* a bit of warmth - it just adds that extra dimension that makes them outstanding.

What a lucky girl your FF is to have such a wonderfully pretty and large diamond coming her way!
36.gif

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/11/2009 11:25:53 PM
Author: tsavvy
That stone looks like it will be gorgeous, as well as being one of the best deals out there IMHO. Ask Jonathan to take a side by side photo with the other stones you were interested in - that should give you a good idea of the color.

ditto and another ditto to Lynn B''s reply about someone wearing a yellow shirt. i honestly can''t see the color difference either, but then again i''m not very color sensitive.

my thoughts? honestly, i''m REALLY hoping that you''re my boyfriend...*crossing fingers*
9.gif
31.gif

Collee

Shiny_Rock
GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS stone!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
I was actually considering this rock myself but had to pass for personal reasons
39.gif

Please do not judge the stone by the still images as it is impossible to capture the beauty and unique personality of a diamond in a static state. The light yellow background color of the page might be a factor contributing to the yellow that you may seeing in the stone.

I am sure you have already but to further validate your decision and to set your mind at ease, keep watching the video.. WOW!

Here is another K video. In the video Jon compares the K (2.45) to an I (2.16) in natural daylight and against a flat white background. As noted, "it is tough to see a color difference".
SO, rest assured that you made a STELLAR choice!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

txasscher

Rough_Rock
Just amazing! I wish I could have convinced my Fiance to go to a warmer shade! That is just going to be incredible!!!!!!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
YUM! I like a warmer tone to antique-style stones, so I would be all over that one. I hope she loves it, too
30.gif

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful stone! Drooling over here!

And if she loves a warmer diamond and a large diamond, and you like the shape, sounds like this is the perfect one for both of you! I love a warmer diamond too, especially in the older cuts, they are just breathtaking!

Please post hand shots when the ring is complete!

36.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Sweet choice. Would love to see the finished ring!

cheers--Sharon

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I''d imagine the color shows a little more because it''s a substantially bigger stone with more color to show.

But if your girlfriend likes warmth, that is a good thing, not a problem. And it is a big, beautiful rock. I''d be thrilled to have any GOG August Vintage, let alone that stunner.
30.gif

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2009 11:33:42 PM
Author: rockpaperscissors67
I think the stone is beautiful! I hope to have one of these myself someday and would want it in the J-K-L range because some color with those chunky facets seems right to me. In modern stones, I prefer an icy white, but, oh, in old stones, color simply looks so much better.
Ditto -- I prefer icy white in modern cuts, but antique cuts just look right with a warmer color diamond. The diamond you chose looks amazing.

Have you considered getting the setting in unplated white gold instead of platinum? There are a few examples on PS of warmer diamonds being set with unplated white gold because then the metal also looks warmer and there is less contrast. I think either look would be great, it''s just something to consider.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Your diamond is amazing!!! She''s going to love it!! But, do you have a chance to see it before setting it? If you do, why not have it in your possession first and spend a day with it? Look it over in all lighting situations and see how you feel. I undestand that you want to give her the very best and get her a bigger diamond, but you also have to be the one looking at it when you''re around her which will be for the rest of your married life. If your concerns go away when you get it, then you''re good to go.

Good luck on your proposal!!

estro613

Rough_Rock
I haven''t heard of unplated white gold. Can you point me in the direction of where this topic was discussed. Or possibly some photos of what you''re talking about. Certainly sounds like something worth looking into. Thanks!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone you choose does indeedy look fab. I do see a very small tint difference, but also remember this;

Though they are both the style, your K is 2.85 cts, the one you''re comparing it to is 1.45. Your K is a VS2, the other is a VS1.

The L looked warmer to me than the K by a smidge. As for my monitor, I keep mine calibrated because I do a lot of graphics.

I don''t think that your girlfriend is going to notice IRL unless she''s very color sensitive. I think she''s going to be over the moon by it if anything.
36.gif

-A

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2009 2:34:51 PM
Author: estro613
I haven''t heard of unplated white gold. Can you point me in the direction of where this topic was discussed. Or possibly some photos of what you''re talking about. Certainly sounds like something worth looking into. Thanks!
Here are a couple of threads that have pictures:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/green-lake-jewelers-nerd-ring-wedding-band.130950/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/james-meyer-three-stone-oec.120753/page-2
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-the-best-white-gold-platnium-setting-for-a-k-l-or-m.124259/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-does-unplated-white-gold-look-like-pics-please.125262/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results