shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone with an 8 pronged solitaire?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I am really paralyzed in regard to a setting! I love a particular Van Craeynest setting, but I think I like it better with a smaller stone. I really love how ApacheRose's octagonal halo beautifully frames her AVR, but I am worried about how big mine might be with a halo. Of course, mine is a good bit smaller than yours! If settings were less expensive, I wouldn't be so cautious about setting it, as I could always reset. But when we are looking at $3-5000+ for settings, I'd rather not experiment! Another factor is that because I want this ring to be an heirloom, I'd like whatever setting I get to also look appropriate as a right hand ring. So I am really not looking for a plain solitaire.

I will be watching to see what you decide! Sooner or later I hope I will see something that just seems to be the one!

Oh, and I don't know if you have explored Sebastien Barier, but he has some very gorgeous designs. ApacheRose went through Grace, but I think there are other sources as well.

http://www.sebastienbarier.com/index.php

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
m-2-b|1423356204|3829100 said:
mrs-blop|1423355293|3829094 said:
m-2-b -

I'm about to head out the door for the evening, but I just saw your comment and I will be looking up your setting AS SOON as I get home! Do you have a link to a thread, by any chance?

I'm not sure what your finger size is or if it will still fit your new stone? I'm probably going to sell the setting w/ the spacer as a set:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/my-new-3-6ct-bgd-upgrade-victor-canera-gabriella-setting-t190533.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/my-new-3-6ct-bgd-upgrade-victor-canera-gabriella-setting-t190533.html[/URL]

I think a colored stone would also look great in it! :naughty:

Oh, no, M-2-b, I love that setting! Guess that means you're doing something different with the stone or setting. Always exciting but I really did love that setting from VC!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1423742500|3831292 said:
m-2-b|1423356204|3829100 said:
mrs-blop|1423355293|3829094 said:
m-2-b -

I'm about to head out the door for the evening, but I just saw your comment and I will be looking up your setting AS SOON as I get home! Do you have a link to a thread, by any chance?

I'm not sure what your finger size is or if it will still fit your new stone? I'm probably going to sell the setting w/ the spacer as a set:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/my-new-3-6ct-bgd-upgrade-victor-canera-gabriella-setting-t190533.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/my-new-3-6ct-bgd-upgrade-victor-canera-gabriella-setting-t190533.html[/URL]

I think a colored stone would also look great in it! :naughty:

Oh, no, M-2-b, I love that setting! Guess that means you're doing something different with the stone or setting. Always exciting but I really did love that setting from VC!

MGR--I still love that setting, too, but I've got a new project coming up that I need to sell it for! It's going to be consigned w/ JBG. I hope it can go to a new home, hopefully on a PSer's finger! :)) Sorry for the threadjack, mrs-blop!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1423720167|3831240 said:
No, I am really paralyzed in regard to a setting! I love a particular Van Craeynest setting, but I think I like it better with a smaller stone. I really love how ApacheRose's octagonal halo beautifully frames her AVR, but I am worried about how big mine might be with a halo. Of course, mine is a good bit smaller than yours! If settings were less expensive, I wouldn't be so cautious about setting it, as I could always reset. But when we are looking at $3-5000+ for settings, I'd rather not experiment! Another factor is that because I want this ring to be an heirloom, I'd like whatever setting I get to also look appropriate as a right hand ring. So I am really not looking for a plain solitaire.

I will be watching to see what you decide! Sooner or later I hope I will see something that just seems to be the one!

Oh, and I don't know if you have explored Sebastien Barier, but he has some very gorgeous designs. ApacheRose went through Grace, but I think there are other sources as well.

http://www.sebastienbarier.com/index.php

Thanks, diamondseeker! I'll take a good long look. :)

I've been trawling Steven Kirsch's site, and have found a halo I like (always said I'd never do one, but there you go) and am waiting for a quote. Have also found something much more simple that I'm considering. Settings stop me in my tracks too, so I get your paralysis! Because I don't want to waste money, half the time I end up with a ring box with upwards of half a dozen unset diamonds, still in their spring holders. Which is ridiculous.

Will keep you informed about any progress...just as soon as there is some. :-/

eta I TOTALLY agree with you re Van Craeynest and smaller stones. I think the AVC's, particularly, look good in their settings.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thought I may as well come back and post the setting of SK's that I like. I'm not normally a glitzy kind of girl, but this just appeals to me:

http://www.stevenkirsch.com/engagement/halo/r0112.html

I'm thinking that, for once, I might really like to dress up my diamond. What's your opinion of this setting? It would be in yellow gold. This one is in rose, but it's not a dissimilar look.

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
mrs-blop|1423405689|3829293 said:
m-b-2 - Your ring is gorgeous!

It would be perfect for me except that I'm looking for a yellow gold shank. It's a very elegant design tho; there's solitaires...and then there's solitaires, aren't there? In my experience, not all solitaires are equal! Yours is about as good as it gets tho.

My understanding, also, is that Victor won't work with GOG stones, so I'm out there also. One day, perhaps.... :)

Diamondseeker -

YES! Finally that gorgeous stone is getting its forever home! my understanding is that it's had at least one or two false starts - and that at least one person on PS had temporarily owned it. Not sure why they returned it, but I think we can assume it won't be escaping my clutches any time soon!

Thanks for the advice re setting. It would bother me if I couldn't get my ring completely clean, and I can see what you're saying about the different cut affecting that. Have you made any progress on your reset plans? I'd happily pick your brain on this!

Hi Ms. Blop!

I just wanted to jump in and give you my experience with my setting. I am one of those crazy daily ring cleaners. :oops: I can't stand when my stone is dirty and mucky! It drives me nuts and I notice every smudge etc! I can tell you I have had zero problems keeping my stone perfectly clean. I use the ultrasonic and sometimes a toothbrush. It's hard to explain, but the bristles can get in between the part of the basket closest to the donut if that's the concern. I'm sure there are settings that are "easier" to clean, but I have never even thought about mine being difficult.

Anyway, good luck with your decision! Just wanted to weigh in so you don't overlook this setting if you really love it. :wink2:

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
mrs-blop|1423752842|3831328 said:
Thought I may as well come back and post the setting of SK's that I like. I'm not normally a glitzy kind of girl, but this just appeals to me:

I'm thinking that, for once, I might really like to dress up my diamond. What's your opinion of this setting? It would be in yellow gold. This one is in rose, but it's not a dissimilar look.

Stunning! If I were to do a halo, it would be one like this! :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop|1423752842|3831328 said:

I think it is beautiful. I'd get a quote from Victor as well.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
valmanin|1423755677|3831343 said:
mrs-blop|1423405689|3829293 said:
m-b-2 - Your ring is gorgeous!

It would be perfect for me except that I'm looking for a yellow gold shank. It's a very elegant design tho; there's solitaires...and then there's solitaires, aren't there? In my experience, not all solitaires are equal! Yours is about as good as it gets tho.

My understanding, also, is that Victor won't work with GOG stones, so I'm out there also. One day, perhaps.... :)

Diamondseeker -

YES! Finally that gorgeous stone is getting its forever home! my understanding is that it's had at least one or two false starts - and that at least one person on PS had temporarily owned it. Not sure why they returned it, but I think we can assume it won't be escaping my clutches any time soon!

Thanks for the advice re setting. It would bother me if I couldn't get my ring completely clean, and I can see what you're saying about the different cut affecting that. Have you made any progress on your reset plans? I'd happily pick your brain on this!

Hi Ms. Blop!

I just wanted to jump in and give you my experience with my setting. I am one of those crazy daily ring cleaners. :oops: I can't stand when my stone is dirty and mucky! It drives me nuts and I notice every smudge etc! I can tell you I have had zero problems keeping my stone perfectly clean. I use the ultrasonic and sometimes a toothbrush. It's hard to explain, but the bristles can get in between the part of the basket closest to the donut if that's the concern. I'm sure there are settings that are "easier" to clean, but I have never even thought about mine being difficult.

Anyway, good luck with your decision! Just wanted to weigh in so you don't overlook this setting if you really love it. :wink2:

That's great to know you can reach the pavilion of your stone with a brush! The photos made it look like access would be limited, but I am glad you are able to confirm otherwise! I had a setting once that was sort of similar and there were spots could not access and I had to change the setting!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker -

I'm glad you like it!

re getting a quote from VC - I don't know if you saw my post above, but my understanding is that he won't work with GOG stones. I've asked him a couple of times and firstly it was the AVC's. Then he broadened it to all AV stones. Here's a c&p quote from his page:

Q I have an August Vintage® Diamond by Good Old Gold. Can I have a ring made for it?
A We do not offer our settings or design services for August Vintage branded diamonds.

It's a real shame, because I would have loved at least a quote from him. On the other hand, since it's SK's design, I'm more than happy to go with him.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results