shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone with a White Sapphire Ering?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

~*Snow*~

Shiny_Rock
Hello All!
I also posted this in Coloured stones with no luck, so i''m thinking this is where it should be posted.
I have been leaning towards a White Sapphire ering, with about a 2ct center, but can''t find a photo of one anywhere on here!
I''ve been through all 101 pages of SMTR and the Colours stone thread aswell.
Anyone? Anyone out there have a White Sapphire ering?
I know i''m not the first person to want a White Sapphire ering there has to be more of you out there!
Thanks!

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Snow :)
I know it is frustrating to post a question in such a large community forum nd not get any reply, so I will give it a go...
I don''t own a white sapphire ring but I am wondering...do you want it as an alternative stone bc of the price diff from a diamond or do you just like white sapphires? There are several ''white'' stones that could be used as alternatives to a diamond, danburite being one of them...
anyway I was just wondering.
:)

hope someone else can chime in with some pics for you!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2007 3:11:30 PM
Author:~*Snow*~
Hello All!

I also posted this in Coloured stones with no luck, so i'm thinking this is where it should be posted.

I have been leaning towards a White Sapphire ering, with about a 2ct center, but can't find a photo of one anywhere on here!
You were in the right place w/ Colored Stones
1.gif
The reason you didn't get more replies (though it seemed to me that you got quite a few) and can't find it in the archives is most likely because people just don't have them around here. If someone had it, they'd have posted it somewhere already
2.gif
(cuz that's what we DO 'round here!)

This is predominantly a diamond lovers' board. It seems that when most people on here choose gemstones (as opposed to diamonds), it's because they wanna get some color, not a diamond substitute. If they want white, they'll get diamonds.

At least, that's what makes sense to me as far as figuring out why no one has white sapphires
1.gif

ETA: The natural sapphire company has videos of most of their pieces/stones. To get an idea of white sapphire performance, check out this stone and click on "play video": .47ct white sapphire (round).

~*Snow*~

Shiny_Rock
Sophie- The reason i''m leaning towards a sapphire is because i''m a september baby and thus sapphire is my birthstone, and i love the hardness level of it on the Mohs scale. Also it''s different ( maybe alittle to different?!) the the typical diamond/blue sapphire combo''s...
while i LOVE diamonds, i just can''t justify using a downpayment on a house for one! atleast not yet. But i do plan on having a mico pave diamond band to add alittle bling!

Thanks foy your help! maybe once i get my ring i''ll post photos! i''ll be the first of my kind!!!

~*Snow*~

Shiny_Rock
OHHHH Thanks Musey!!

White is doesn''t sparkle like diamonds, not that i excepted it to, i love the blue and white specs that show up!!!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2007 5:50:18 PM
Author: ~*Snow*~

i love the hardness level of it on the Mohs scale. Also it's different ( maybe alittle to different?!) the the typical diamond/blue sapphire combo's...
You love the hardness level, meaning you don't want as hard as a diamond? Or just that it's almost as hard, for less cost?

You do know that there are LOTS of different sapphire colors, right? I'd be more inclined to endorse a yellow, or padparadscha, etc. sapphire than a white. White would be close to a diamond, but it just falls short in the sparkle department. However, a great fancy-colored sapphire is a whole different animal, even if it's the same type of stone.

Here's a gorgeous orange sapphire ring, that's on my "someday for a RHR" list...

Also check out poshpepper's yellow sapphire ring. It's TO DIE FOR!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just pointing out the Moh''s scale isn''t exactly linear. A sapphire at 9 is much less hard than a diamond at 10. Sapphires are very sturdy, but they will chip easier. As long as you know that going in.

My daughter is also a September girl. You know, yes, there are lots of exciting colours of sapphires, but I told her Ruby is in the same family (corundum), so she started collecting those too.
31.gif

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s weird, I''ve heard though diamonds are harder, that sapphires are more durable, that is less likely to chip.

I''m sure one of the experts can chime in.

See a white sapphire in person. It may not "do" it for you if it is a diamond substitute.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are sevbral girls here with sapphire e-rings...yellow and blue for the center stones...set in beautiful antique style settings. I think poshpepper has the yellow and someone with a name like londonblue (I think) had a Legacy-style ring made with a beautiful blue sapphire, and there are others. I just don''t think a white sapphire will look enough like a diamond, and it may cause people to think it is fake since it doesn''t look like a diamond.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
I am no pro like the others...but I went to a custom jewelry designer and asked to try on THAT ONE!! He handed it to me after wiping it over and over and over...(I think this is a scam technique it denotes value...speciality...importance...) any way he handed me something that looked very Leonish. Micro pave shank, halo, claw prongs and in the center was a 2.60 carat center stone. It was spectacularly sparkly and the whitest stone I had ever seen.

I said, well it is obvious I am out of my league here. This is way too expensive for me. He said, oh really. Yeah. Better show me that...He said what if I told you I could make this ring...using a white sapphire, that would look just like this...for only $1200. Well, then I would say WOWEE!! I would buy it!!!

He said, "Poof"...I looked at him puzzled and said what? He said, "That is a white sapphire, that ring costs $1200." I said "GET OUT!!!" (oh, in-closing...he didn''t make a sell...I was all talk. Windbag as usual
6.gif
.)
I was there to check out his work for my reclusive reset.
2.gif
He didn''t pass the test.

Not sure how my little story relates to your post...but my thought was to encourage you to do it! That sapphire was a beauty. And in that environment...lighting...and the pro wipe down...I was convinced I was looking at a diamond.

DKS

Nathan Barsky

Rough_Rock
I have made ERs with white sapphires. I see your leaning towards a emerald cut. White sapphires are not very expensive in case you do chip it and scratch it. I was never a fan of a brilliant cut white sapphire, because when they get dirty I see a very light color change that makes the stone look like an clear foil back glued to base metal and dropped in the sonic. I would stick with the fancy shapes personally. An emerald cut would give you the diamond look.

~*Snow*~

Shiny_Rock
Door Knob Solitare- Thank you for that! i feel alittle more confident with my decission now! do you rememeber what store that was at? or if they have a website? Thanks!

Nathan- Yes i love the classic look of Emerald cuts... i''m not a "sparkely" kind of gal. I''m not a fan of RB or Radient cuts, even though almost EVERY jewler we''ve been too has tried to sell me on them, i much perfer the simpllicity of Emerald cuts...

AmandaFace

Rough_Rock
ive got a sapphire ering. although mine is blue. and i went that direction because im a COLOR gal!

i think natural sapphire company is your best bet. email stephen and tell him what youre looking for. you certainly dont see that many white sapphires - so itll be something you may have to search a little harder for.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2007 6:02:03 PM
Author: musey

Date: 10/19/2007 5:50:18 PM

i love the hardness level of it on the Mohs scale. Also it's different ( maybe alittle to different?!) the the typical diamond/blue sapphire combo's...
You love the hardness level, meaning you don't want as hard as a diamond? Or just that it's almost as hard, for less cost?

You do know that there are LOTS of different sapphire colors, right? I'd be more inclined to endorse a yellow, or padparadscha, etc. sapphire than a white. White would be close to a diamond, but it just falls short in the sparkle department. However, a great fancy-colored sapphire is a whole different animal, even if it's the same type of stone.

Here's a gorgeous orange sapphire ring, that's on my 'someday for a RHR' list...

Also check out poshpepper's yellow sapphire ring. It's TO DIE FOR!
Thanks Musey
4.gif
I have to say that I saw that same ring on the NSC site a few days ago and it was immediately on my "someday" list. I see we have similar taste
3.gif

snow -- Go see some white sapphire in person and see if it speaks to you. In the right setting I think it would look beautiful. One thing to keep in mind is that you have to be sure to keep your ring clean since sapphire has a lower RI than diamond it will be more affected by dirt than a diamond. However I really think that a clean sapphire can sparkle like mad and will look better than 95% of the diamonds out there (since a lot of people do not keep their rings clean)... here is an example of the fire that a clean sapphire can produce: Sapphire Fire

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a white sapphire ring that I actually got rid of...the stones had a hollow look to me, like I could see right through them. THe setting was yellow gold, and that was all I saw through the stones. Does that make sense?

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
You know after I posted that ...I feared you might ask me that. So I drove over to get the particulars for you. Knock Knock...anyone there? Nope.

This was the only jeweler in my town that had CAD machine. He could make you ANYTHING you wanted. He and his family headed a mission division. He closed the custom jewelry department down and now makes only hand made cross art and to focus on the mission work.

Arggghhh. I am so sorry. He has been in town for years...I post and POOF he is gone. (He closed months previously but I was not aware.) There is another jeweler that worked with him, I''ll try to call tomorrow and see what I can learn.

Now remember I am no pro. At the time I thought all that was important in a stone was SIZE and COLOR. That stone was huge and it was white. I was also in a well designed showroom with planned display lighting. If you could wear some sort of head gear daily, with that light...even poor cut stones would look spectacular. You need to love the sapphire for what it is...okie dokie?

DKS

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here is a 6mm white sapphire center stone with two 3mm diamond side stones.

9696054.jpg

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2007 10:00:01 AM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 10/19/2007 6:02:03 PM
Author: musey

ate: 10/19/2007 5:50:18 PM

i love the hardness level of it on the Mohs scale. Also it''s different ( maybe alittle to different?!) the the typical diamond/blue sapphire combo''s...
You love the hardness level, meaning you don''t want as hard as a diamond? Or just that it''s almost as hard, for less cost?

You do know that there are LOTS of different sapphire colors, right? I''d be more inclined to endorse a yellow, or padparadscha, etc. sapphire than a white. White would be close to a diamond, but it just falls short in the sparkle department. However, a great fancy-colored sapphire is a whole different animal, even if it''s the same type of stone.

Here''s a gorgeous orange sapphire ring, that''s on my ''someday for a RHR'' list...

Also check out poshpepper''s yellow sapphire ring. It''s TO DIE FOR!
I love this ring. They used to have one with an amazing pink sapphire just like it.. GORGEOUS!
They still do
18.gif
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/nscnet/expandjewelry.aspx?jewelry=J12
30.gif

~*Snow*~

Shiny_Rock
Upgradable- Ohhh i like! not overly sparkly, not cloudy and not looking like glass! If you do''nt mind me asking where did you find that? And how have people reacted when they see it? How long have you had it? any problems so far? I would like all the details!!!
Also as a side note, do you tell people its a sapphire? it looks wonderfull i''m sure so many assume it''s a diamond.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
It''s not mine, but just a picture I found to post for you. Sorry I can''t give you any more info than that. Good luck with your search.

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
Hi there Snow

Nice name for a white sapphire girl!

I love them also, an icy beauty all their own, and of course, they don't sparkle like diamonds, but they can look gorgeous in their own right. I think in platinum or white gold, to keep the cool icy look...

A couple of links that I have looked at in the past few weeks, I too am considering a white sapphire ring, favouring a radiant stone, just very plain.

Assorted white sapphires

Bespoke white sapphire ring

few more rings

The last link needs you to do a search, for perhaps just 'sapphire' and 'white' as the colour...they have some gorgeous rings there...very simple but very lovely.

and lastly...

ebay white sapphire

I've exchanged some mails with this guy, and he seems very ok...worth a look anyway

good luck with the white sapphire look...

26.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2007 3:27:59 PM
Author: LovinSapphires

ebay white sapphire

I''ve exchanged some mails with this guy, and he seems very ok...worth a look anyway
Eek, there''s a pretty bad window in that stone! Is that a greater risk with sapphires in general, experts?

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
I looked at the this stone a few times, and missed the window every time!!

it''s there alright...and I missed it.

The eyes sometimes see what they want to see huh?

disregard this white!

32.gif

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, I don''t know what everyone else is talking about. I looked at the video of that white sapphire and I could not tell the difference between it and a gorgeous diamond. I was glowing when I saw it sparkle like the sun. I think that you love the white sapphire and it should be your ER.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
tberube, for me what it is missing is FIRE. It sparkles, sure (though I''d categorize it as more of a "shine" than a "sparkle"), but every flash is white.

On the other hand, if you watch this video of asscher cut diamonds (linked in the first post on that page), you''re getting color at every angle. Part of that is the lighting, to be sure. But diamonds (at 2.417) do have a significantly higher refractive index than sapphires (at 1.766), which plays a large role in that as well.

None of this is to say the OP shouldn''t choose a white sapphire, if that''s what she truly loves! It''s really comparing apples to oranges.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
You know, I wonder what a rose cut white sapphire would look like. It''s lower fire might be ideal for that soft kind of cut.

~*Snow*~

Shiny_Rock
LadyAmythys- There was a thread not to long ago with a pair of white sapphire rose cut earings.. they were beautiful!
i''ll have to see if i can track that thread down...

Everyone else- Thank you so MUCH!
36.gif
I think i am going to go with a nice big White Sapphire and all their icey whiteness!!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m late but I just wanted to chime in--Snow, have you seen a white sapphire in person, especially next to a diamond of a similar size? If not, I recommend taking a look at one, especially if you plan on setting it next to diamonds.

I had my heart set on a yellow sapphire for my e-ring, and after we had a hard time finding a quality yellow sapphire in the right size and cut, my jeweler brought out a white sapphire to look at. While I love sapphires, a white sapphire is definitely not a stand-in for a diamond. They don''t have fire, (as in colored sparkly fire), even though they do shine.

If you love the white sapphire for a white sapphire--go for it! BUT, if you''re looking for a diamond stand-in you might be disappointed.

(Disclaimer: I''m NOT saying one is better than the other, they''re just different and you definitely wouldn''t mistake a white sapph for a diamond.)

Good luck on your search, and I expect to see pictures when you''re finished!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results