shape
carat
color
clarity

2.5ct Emerald on 4.5 Finger

john31

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Apologies if I have posted this topic in the wrong section (I'm a newbie!)

I'm in the market for an engagement ring and I have successfully been able to determine my partner's ring size without her knowing.

It's 4.5 which I have been told is quite small. The diamond I'm currently looking at is a 2.5ct emerald cut (9.4 x 6.5) in a solitaire setting.

When I advised the jeweller of her ring size, she said "that diamond would look massive on her tiny hands!". I honestly couldn't really tell if it was a "good" or bad" kind of massive. She then said something like "so we're not looking for a very practical ring then, right?".

The whole experience left me very unsure as to whether this was a good choice. I have always wanted to get a larger diamond but the jeweller's reaction has gotten me all mixed up.

I would be really interested to hear opinions of posters and especially those with pictures of similar sized emeralds on small fingers.

Thanks so much!

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
First, size is always relative! But, you may get better luck finding help by posting your question in rocky talk. This page is for after you are engaged and your fiancée wants to share the bling. :D

One question to ponder for now... Do you know she definitely wants an emerald and of that size? It seems like that may be the case since you were pretty specific.

Also my finger size is 4.5. While that is small, I've seen some fingers in the 3 and lower range. Depending on her line of work, if she's comfortable and loves bling, why not?! I'm disappointed, although not surprised that you would hear that type of response from someone who potentially would like to make a sale. :eh:

Try searching for emerald cut and see what posts pull up. You may find some helpful pics. :sun:

Good luck!

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
You have one lucky soon to be fiancé!!! My finger size is 4.25 and I wear a 2.55 round (see pic below). I do not think it looks big on me at all! Side note: I am also a huge jewelry lover so big sized stones don't seem ostentatious to me as I appreciate their beauty!
You know your lady the best. Does she love jewelry? Has she ever mentioned favoring a larger carat size? Maybe you can ask her friends and family for their opinion? I would most definitely wear a 2.5 Emerald!!! If you end up going with it, please post pics!

_26881.jpg

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, you cannot ask that question on a diamond forum where the mantra is bigger is better :bigsmile: I don't think that 2.5ct is too big on a 4.5 finger. I love emerald cut diamonds. I think the bigger the emerald the better you can see the steps. My sister was looking for an emerald cut but only in the 1.5ct and decided against it because it was not big enough for her to appreciate the step facets. We both agreed that 2.5 ct is the least we would consider in emerald cuts. Hope you go ahead with your plan. I think it will be a gorgeous, elegant and bold yet classic ring..... hahahaha can you tell I love emerald cuts?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If that is what you or she wants then forget about everyone else. We have had size debates on here before, ultimately it is about what YOU feel comfortable wearing. I rock a 5+ carat Old Cut on a 4.75 finger, it looks fine so there are no hard and fast rules. And the great thing about starting out with a substantial size is it's not going to need upgrading any time soon!!!!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
john31|1423537069|3830058 said:
Hi all,

I'm in the market for an engagement ring and I have successfully been able to determine my partner's ring size without her knowing.

It's 4.5 which I have been told is quite small. The diamond I'm currently looking at is a 2.5ct emerald cut (9.4 x 6.5) in a solitaire setting.

When I advised the jeweller of her ring size, she said "that diamond would look massive on her tiny hands!". I honestly couldn't really tell if it was a "good" or bad" kind of massive. She then said something like "so we're not looking for a very practical ring then, right?".

The whole experience left me very unsure as to whether this was a good choice. I have always wanted to get a larger diamond but the jeweller's reaction has gotten me all mixed up.

I would be really interested to hear opinions of posters and especially those with pictures of similar sized emeralds on small fingers.

Thanks so much!

Hi John - and welcome!

I had to weigh in on this. These comments sound like jealousy or spite to me! Apart from the size of the stone, the 'practicality' of a ring is largely based on style of setting not size of stone, so the jeweler you spoke to was talking through her hat from the get-go. And in my opinion, no truly professional jeweler alive would make comments like this! If you decide to go with your 2.5ct stone (and I think that would be a lovely, and gorgeous look on your girl's hand) pls find someone who knows what they're talking about when it comes to emerald cuts. Can I suggest Good Old Gold? You won't get any ridiculous comments like that from them; they're used to dealing with stones larger than a carat and they know how to pick you a top shelf EC (not every jeweler does).

And just to add - emerald cuts are, to my mind, a discreet stone due to their cut. They're an elegant stone, not a super-blingy stone, so at any size I think the wearer can go larger than with a round cut stone. Not that I think there's a limit in any style of cut - because I think pretty much every size looks great! And if you were to scroll through this site, you'd find ladies with finger sizes as low as 2.5 rocking rings as big or bigger than the one you're considering. So I say go for it!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop|1423577016|3830214 said:
john31|1423537069|3830058 said:
Hi all,

Thanks so much!

Hi John - and welcome!

I had to weigh in on this. These comments sound like jealousy or spite to me! Apart from the size of the stone, the 'practicality' of a ring is largely based on style of setting not size of stone, so the jeweler you spoke to was talking through her hat from the get-go. And in my opinion, no truly professional jeweler alive would make comments like this! If you decide to go with your 2.5ct stone (and I think that would be a lovely, and gorgeous look on your girl's hand) pls find someone who knows what they're talking about when it comes to emerald cuts. Can I suggest Good Old Gold? You won't get any ridiculous comments like that from them; they're used to dealing with stones larger than a carat and they know how to pick you a top shelf EC (not every jeweler does).

And just to add - emerald cuts are, to my mind, a discreet stone due to their cut. They're an elegant stone, not a super-blingy stone, so at any size I think the wearer can go larger than with a round cut stone. Not that I think there's a limit in any style of cut - because I think pretty much every size looks great! And if you were to scroll through this site, you'd find ladies with finger sizes as low as 2.5 rocking rings as big or bigger than the one you're considering. So I say go for it!

+1
Very well said Mrs-blop :clap: Do not let some salesperson sway you from what you envision for your lady. Definitely reach out to GOG, you will be so glad you did! Good luck

EC4me

Rough_Rock
I have a 3.16 ct. emerald cut on a size 7 finger and I could happily wear a larger stone! The dimensions are 9.52 x 7.10 x 4.80 mm, so it's not really that much larger than the one you are considering. I think it will look beautiful and impressive! I will say that I have been married for 25 years and, even though this particular diamond is new, I have been wearing a diamond for many years, so I am used to having an engagement ring on my hand. I am guessing that this is her first engagement ring, so, while it may look massive to her at first, she will adjust quickly! Hope this helps.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I have a size 4.5 finger and often wear a 3 stone EC ring - centre stone is 12x10mm and sides are 8x6mm. Yes it's blingy but in a good way. No one has ever said anything negative about it and it's very comfortable to wear. I say go for it!!! :wavey:

jenncent

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I think you are asking the wrong group, lol. I am in the bigger the better camp, and don't think 2ct ish is ever really too big to not be practical.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here are what those measurements in an emerald cut look like on a size 4 1/2 finger. I think you're fine personally.

250emeraldcuton450hand.jpg

250emeraldcuton450hand02.jpg

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well - that answers it right there! Looks perfect! Maybe the comment wasn't meant to be negative..... more like "You're da man! Buying 2.5 carats, and it's gonna look even bigger on her small fingers! Way to go, buddy!"

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results