shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW 1920s Mens Ring - Restoration Complete!

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Hello all,
I have been meaning to create a SMTB topic since I got my ring back from Singlestone a couple of weeks ago. Thank you Singlestone for the superb work in custom cutting and setting the side stones!

Many of you will remember my other ring projects that led to finding this one. For those who don't, I started this odyssey last year after my mother passed away. . . I had wanted to create a ring in her memory and found a beautiful 2 ct european cut diamond (with the help and feedback of fellow ps-ers). My mother loved antique/vintage jewelry in addition to interesting tribal jewelry and so I wanted to honor her with a beautiful ring for myself. Most men don't wear diamond jewelry in part I think because well designed pieces seem less available for men (not to mention our collective notions about what is gender appropriate).

In any event, I had terrible luck with the fabricator of the memorial ring I had designed (with the help of ps-ers such as GregChang and Chrono). The ring was remade three times when I happened to find this ring. The stone was not exactly what I thought I had been looking for but once I saw it in person I knew I wanted to keep it in place of the one I had designed and that this ring would be worn in memory of my mother.

I have not had the diamond certified because I haven’t wanted to unset the stone. Circe has mentioned David Wolf in New York who might be able to generate some numbers on the stone itself without taking it out of the setting. . . I’ll post them once I am able to have him take a look. From what I can surmise, one could describe the stone as an early modern cut and from what I have read, its slightly open culet, thin girdle, and small star facets are all features that one often associates with earlier stones.

The ring was sold to me as a 2.17 ct H-I-J VS. The seller is the granddaughter of the gentleman who had the ring made for himself in the 1920s after a trip to England and Europe where he bought a number of diamonds for members of his family. The diamond was never removed from the setting but the caliber cut side stones were missing from the setting when I purchased it in August. It is not clear if the diamond was purchased in England or Belgium but the fact that it was purchased around the time that Tolkowsky published his work shows that these ideal type diamonds were available that early. It would be interesting to me to know the specs on the stone (crown angle/percentage, pavilion angle/percentage) and compare them to the diamonds put forth by Tolkowsky to generate his range of ideal specifications.

Here is a view without the side stones restored:
_21455.jpg

Here are some recent shots:
image_2515.jpgimage_2514.jpgimage_2512.jpgimage_2511.jpgimage_2509.jpg

Thank you to everyone who has shared their knowledge and experiences on this site. I was able to negotiate the purchase of this ring privately and with confidence only because of the information that people have freely shared here!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I <3<3<3 this ring so very much. It's beautiful!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous and a very special ring. Enjoy in health and happiness with wonderful memories.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning ring now that it has been restored it looks even more amazing!!!! Congrats!!!!

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
As I said in your other thread before - I love love love everything about this ring! The story, the diamond, and the engraving is wonderful and the fact that you have now restored the missing sapphires - well I'm sure it is a treasured heirloom. Congratulations on owning such a wonderful ring and restoring it to it's full glory. A gem to behold.

Kroshka

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely stunning!

I just love seeing well done jewellery for men, and this certainly falls in that category!

Beautiful! Wear it in good health!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent work, may it bring you years of enjoyment! :)

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for all compliments and kind regards. Here are some more photos. The stone is very dynamic and lively:

_24468.jpg

_24469.jpg

_24470.jpg

_24471.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice ring, thanks for sharing! :love:

DK :))

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE this ring!!!

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
WOW! Breathtaking! What a great way to keep your mother in remembrance also!

snfsdca

Rough_Rock
The chase work on this ring is simply spectacular! Just perfect :praise:

Vampira

Rough_Rock
So striking. I love hexagon and octagon bezel-type settings, and the pop of blue in the side stones is a very handsome touch!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really a gorgeous ring that looks handsome on your hand - love the recent pic too!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Very nice. I love the detail!

Wonderful that you restored such a beautiful antique.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
The side detailing is amazing, and I'm sorry to hear about your mother.

Great restoration though!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow! That looks beautiful! I LOVE the engraving on the sides, I wish we had more men's rings around here.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing ring! Thanks for sharing and enjoy wearing it. Great pics by the way: the engraving is so beautiful and so are all the other details.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results