shape
carat
color
clarity

1 ct $700

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

seahorsegurl

Rough_Rock
So, I found what I believe was a fabulous deal today at a B&M chain store. The thought of buying a diamond from a chain store had never even crossed my mind, however when this original $4169 ring came up to $713 (tax included) I felt like I would have been crazy not to purchase it. Heck, the gal selling it to me was so shocked at the price it came up in the register that she had the manager come over and approve the price. However, there were no specs although it was retailing as a "1 ct solitaire". There was no certification the store had on file for it, but there is something engraved on the girdle that I can''t make out. I did have her diamond test it for me, just to make sure it was real. Plus, there''s a 90 day full return period in case I change my mind.
I had done quite a bit of research on round diamonds previously, but zilch on any of the other cuts of diamonds. I believe this is a radiant, but I''m hoping someone can vouch for that. Also, I checked it over w/ the loupe and didn''t see any glaring carbon or cloud spots, but I''m just a lamen.
I''m hoping some of you might be able to spot some problems w/ the diamond, but unless there''s something crazy wrong with it (like it might crack any moment) then I''m thinking of having it reset as a pendant. (Any great suggestions for pendants would also be appreciated).
Thanks everyone!
Oh, and I''ve got quite a few pics that are right at the 100kb threshold, so sorry for the large picture sizes.

new ring 012.JPG

seahorsegurl

Rough_Rock
Oh, and I wear a 6.25 regularly, although this one is a 7 (for the previous pic). Thanks again!

new ring 028.JPG

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a princess, not a radiant. Radiants have a different facet pattern, and the most recognizable difference is that a princess has full, pointed corners, while the corners on a radiant are clipped.

Are you going to get it independently appraised?

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
On the second pic it looks like there''s something seriously going on with the girdle? Chip? Just polished really, really poorly? What does everyone else see?

seahorsegurl

Rough_Rock
Thanks Musey! I always thought the princess were square and this one seemed to be a bit elongated, thus why I was thinking radiant. I guess that''s one ding against the stone, since it seems that the closer to square on princess cuts the better.
I''m debating about the appraisal. The thought being that I don''t want to have to pay $100 now for an appraisal, have it set in a pendant and then pay another $100 for another appraisal for my insurance....

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/18/2008 8:23:20 PM
Author: purrfectpear
On the second pic it looks like there''s something seriously going on with the girdle? Chip? Just polished really, really poorly? What does everyone else see?
I see it too... it looks like a chip to me... better look at it under a loupe or get it professionall appraised...

lamer

Rough_Rock
what a steal price!!!! i am really happy for you, but i also want you to at least consider an appraisal. the reason? i think you should commit that money for an appraisal now so that if it comes back with any shocking news you can return for a full refund in time. it is an investment to do so, but since this was such a great deal, i would want to know how much of a real deal it is! Of course, it is up to you, and this is just my opinion...keep us posted and thanks for sharing.

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
wow! congrats on the find!
I see what other are seeing ( i think ) do you guys mean that christmas tree shaped area?

looks great facing up though...to my untrained eye!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2008 8:28:27 PM
Author: seahorsegurl
Thanks Musey! I always thought the princess were square and this one seemed to be a bit elongated, thus why I was thinking radiant.
Radiants can be either square or rectangular. I could be long, but I believe the same is true of princesses, just that square is by far the more popular proportion for it.

I guess that's one ding against the stone, since it seems that the closer to square on princess cuts the better.
I really don't know much about princesses, so I suppose it's possible that the rectangular proportion effects the performance of the stone. Really, ALL that matters is whether you love it... do you?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2008 8:29:03 PM
Author: grapegravity
Date: 6/18/2008 8:23:20 PM
Author: purrfectpear

On the second pic it looks like there's something seriously going on with the girdle? Chip? Just polished really, really poorly? What does everyone else see?
I see it too... it looks like a chip to me... better look at it under a loupe or get it professionall appraised...
Is this what you guys are seeing? Or something different? ...Feathers, maybe?

new-ring-025.jpg

seahorsegurl

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your quick responses. You guys have certainly talked me into the appraisal, I certainly wouldn''t want it to crack somewhere down the line. Does anyone know, do different companies engrave the girdles w/ their own markings, or is there a standard by which the girdles are engraved? Meaning, if it''s GIA certified, does it say "GIA 12345" or something similar? Once I get home (out traveling w/ work) I''m hoping to take my loupe to it again and try to make out the engraving on the girdle.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That does seem like a good deal, but I am also seeing what looks like a feather or chip in the second picture. I would definitely have it appraised just to make sure.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW!!! WHY do I never find deals like this?!?!
23.gif

I believe you do have a princess there. I say that because my e-ring center stone is a radiant and yours doesn''t look much like mine, not because I''m some sort of diamond expert! LOL!
9.gif

I do see what everyone is mentioning in the second picture (the thing on the girdle). Also, I did notice what Musey pointed out in the face-up picture. However, even with those flaws, I still think $700 for this stone is one heck of a deal! Again, I''m no expert though, and I think the suggestion to get it appraised is good advice. At least then you would know for sure what it''s worth, and whether or not you want to keep it. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
4.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t notice it on face up till you circled it. Heck if it''s only a whopper of a feather it''s still a sweet stone for a pendant. I was just worried it was a chip on the girdle. Yeah, the christmas tree shaped thing in the second pick. Now I''m thinking feather. Not bad for the $$$

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I''m glad you found a stone you loved! I don''t see many rectangular princess cuts, but I''ve seen a couple of pictures here on PS.

It appears to have a very large feather running through it--can you tell if it breaks the surface? If you can feel it break the surface, I would seriously worry about the stone breaking since it runs through a quarter of the stone. Definitely get it appraised!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
seahorsegurl, I would have the stone appraised by a GIA GG who is also trained as an certified appraiser. What everyone is probably seeing on and just south of the girdle is either a natural or more likely an indented natural (which are virtually the same thing only larger and with a three dimensional aspect). A natural is part of the original rough crystal that the cutter cut around. It does look rather large to me though. Most of the naturals I have seen are barely visible to the naked eye and even sometimes difficult to find with a loupe unless you''re used to using a loupe and know exactly what you''re looking for. This one is quite sizable.

Here''s the textbook definition of a natural-
b] small parts of the original rough diamond''s surface which are left on the polished diamond, frequently on or near the girdle. while these are blemishes, they might also be regarded as a sign of skilled cutting; the presence of a natural reflects the cutter''s ability to design a beautiful polished gem while still retaining as much of the original crystal''s weight as possible. in many cases, naturals do not affect the clarity grade. in most cases, they are undetectable to the naked eye.
Another type of natural is the Indented Natural; in this case, the portion of the original rough diamond''s surface which is left on the polished diamond dips slightly inward, creating an indentation. Usually, the cutter makes an effort to cut the polished diamond so that the indented natural will be confined to either the girdle or the pavilion (making it undetectable to the naked eye in the face-up position).>>>

The only portion of this definition I disagree with is that the presence of a natural will generally drop a diamond down one grade in clarity especially in the presence of other inclusions. (clarity is judged by the nature, number and position of inclusions) Since this one carat diamond was priced at only a little over $4000 at retail, my guess is that there are other inclusions. If you have a loupe and can make out the certificate number on the girdle, you can research your stone through a portion of the GIA website called "report check". They don''t have every old certificate on line, but they do have many. Go to http://www.gia.edu/reportcheck and see if you can find anything on your stone.

seahorsegurl

Rough_Rock
The feather doesn''t appear to break the surface, it seems to be contained inside the diamond. I''m glad Musey pointed it out on the face up pic as well, I hadn''t noticed on that one until she circled it. It''s hard for me to say I "love" this stone when it''s in a setting I would never pick out for myself. But, since I''ve been looking for an affordable pendant for quite some time, I can live with some feathers and learn to love it in a new setting. Assuming that''s what the appraisal says as well.
Plus, I''ll have this empty setting then of 14K that I can sell or do something with...
33.gif

seahorsegurl

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks for all of the great info gemgirl. How would I know if the # on the girdle was a GIA # and not an EGL or AGS # (or some other number)? How can I differentiate them? I was able to see a glimpse of the #s at the store using their loupe, but once I get home I''m going to give it another shot.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
It would make a nice pendant...wonder how it would look in a clean bezel mounting?

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I do think that you definitely got a good deal on that ring, and I think that it would make a gorgeous pendant. I would still want to get it appraised, just to see exactly how great a deal you got!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Looks great face-up, but I agree that something is a little off about the side. I think you should get it graded by a GIA appraiser, and then consider resetting, repolishing, or even recutting. For a $700 diamond, it can''t hurt to put a little extra cash into fixing it up.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I''m not an expert on princesses, but I think it''s very pretty and a great deal! I wouldn''t worry so much about appraisals and reports...just enjoy the beautiful diamond and set it in a gorgeous pendant setting.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Beautiful stone, and great deal! I''d get it appraised just for piece of mind: the feather shouldn''t be obvious in a pendant at all, but if there''s a risk in resetting it, better to know upfront, right?

P.S. - Reader''s suggestion of setting it in a bezel? Deee-vine.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/18/2008 9:27:31 PM
Wow, thanks for all of the great info gemgirl. How would I know if the # on the girdle was a GIA # and not an EGL or AGS # (or some other number)? How can I differentiate them? I was able to see a glimpse of the #s at the store using their loupe, but once I get home I''m going to give it another shot.
The name of the lab will be identified before the numbers that follow. GIA graded stones will say "GIA 12345678". GIA has eight numbers, AGS has seven, and I''m not sure how many EGL or HRD have but it will have the name of the lab before the cert number.

Here''s an example. I hope the photos come through.

Web%20LaserBefore.jpg
gialaser.jpg

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/19/2008 7:03:10 AM
Author: gemgirl

Date: 6/18/2008 9:27:31 PM
The name of the lab will be identified before the numbers that follow. GIA graded stones will say ''GIA 12345678''. GIA has eight numbers, AGS has seven, and I''m not sure how many EGL or HRD have but it will have the name of the lab before the cert number.

Here''s an example. I hope the photos come through.

Web%20LaserBefore.jpg
imgnotfound.jpg
The GIA example was a copyrighted photo. OOps!

threepwood

Brilliant_Rock
Seahorsegurl, you got a very pretty princess and for that a wonderful price.. I am happy for you! Congrate!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results