shape
carat
color
clarity

Ultrasonic cleaner: $$$ vs performance

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iluvdiamond

Rough_Rock
I want to purchase an ultrasonic cleaner, but I notice some are cheaper than the others. (For example, Gemoro Sparkling Spa $40 US vs Branson 200 $100 US) Is cheaper ones perform not as well as the more expensive ones? Both of them are good brands & Branson seems to specialize in ultrasonic equipments. Even with the Sharper Image, retail is $100 US...but the tank is small & it''''s made out of plastic.

I notice a lot of you in this forum purchase expensive ultrasonic cleaner. (>$100 US even for home use). Why did you pick a more expensive brand? I just want to get one that will last & work well as I don''''t have the money to keep testing different brand of ultrasonic cleaner. Any advice would help! Many thanks!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have read here that the cheap ones are not ultrasonic and are basically a motor set off balance to make the water ripple.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE my sharper image one, and I actually bought it for $50 from Sharper Image because it was refurbished. I think that''s the way to go personally, since it allows you to get a nicer cleaner for the same price as the cheaper ones.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The biggest difference is the frequency and the power.
Some use 24kHZ or 28kHZ which is a whole lot cheaper than 40kHZ and less effective, then the amount of power used for the transducers varies with the price shooting up a huge amount for a small increase in power.
A plastic tank moves more for any given amount of power applied to the transducer which is why its used in the lower cost ones. (lighter and less stiff) but SS does a better job of distributing the power thru out the tank.
With a plastic tank basically the bottom will move(energy is used in flexing the bottom) where the entire SS tank will vibrate.
Which again takes more power to move the SS tank making it more expensive.

Then there is heating, within reason the hotter the more effective it is which is why the more expensive ones have built in heaters to keep the water hot. (125 degrees or so)

So what makes for a quality US cleaner?
40kHZ(some are 44kHZ which is a marketing gimmick there is no advantage over 40kHZ), enough power to be effective, SS tank.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
If you don''t want to spend that much I recommend the Frontgate ultrasonic cleaner. It is $49.50 with 42,000 Hz and a stainless steel tank. It comes with a watch stand and they also have smaller and larger units available. It doesn''t have a heater so I use hot water. I''ve had mine for two years now and it is still doing a good job on my jewelry.

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
I have a GemOro 1 pint size, non heating.

I really love it.

I think I paid about $120 for it.

GemOro 1 pint.jpg

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is the one which I believe gives the best value for the money. It has the right Hz, stanless basket and on the money pricing. Many vendors offer this unit under several differing names. It is well less than $50 for shoppers although it is sold for as much as $90 plus shipping in catalogs.

Sonic Wave Mini-Ultrasonic
A compact ultrasonic for cleaning rings, earrings, bracelets, necklaces, eyeglasses and more. Provides 35 watts and 42,000 cycles of cleaning power. Features quiet solid-state circuitry, high-impact plastic body, attached see-through lid, one-piece stainless steel tank, three-minute timer with autoshutoff and neon blue power light. Includes jewelry cleaning basket, free sample of ultrasonic cleaning solution and instructions. Capacity: 1⁄2 quart. Electrical: 110V, 50/60Hz. Measures 73⁄4"W x 5"D x 5"H. Backed by a one-year manufacturer’s warranty. ETL listed and CE approved.

iluvdiamond

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the replies!! I have some more questions & hope you guys can help me out. So "42,000 cycle energy wave
"
means 42 kHz ??
33.gif

strmrdr: Do you know how many kHz does Gemoro sparkling spa offer? I prefer something compact in size. The crest one seems to be sturdy & heavy duty, but it looks big though. I''ve found that Branson for sure offers 40 kHz, but Gemoro sparkling spa didn''t say anything about the kHz.. it just said "42,000 cycle energy wave". I don''t know what it means.

Dave: The sonic wave mini-ultrasonic looks exactly like the Gemoro sparkling spa, but it just have a different brand name on it.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It appears to me to be the identical product. Maybe they are different, but not in terms of represented perfomance, construction, etc. Different branding is mostly what is taking place.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/26/2007 4:29:15 PM
Author: iluvdiamond
Thanks for all the replies!! I have some more questions & hope you guys can help me out. So ''42,000 cycle energy wave
''
means 42 kHz ??
33.gif
42,000 cycle energy wave is basically marketing drivel that could mean 21k or 42k.
I will look and see if I can find the spec.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/26/2007 5:35:00 PM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 8/26/2007 4:29:15 PM
Author: iluvdiamond
Thanks for all the replies!! I have some more questions & hope you guys can help me out. So ''42,000 cycle energy wave
''
means 42 kHz ??
33.gif
42,000 cycle energy wave is basically marketing drivel that could mean 21k or 42k.
I will look and see if I can find the spec.
I found the company that likely makes it out of china and its stated too be 42kHZ.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is what I read about a motor being off balance in the cheap ones not true then, it is just that they are less powerful and also are they ultrasonic or what determines that title?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/26/2007 5:45:39 PM
Author: Pyramid
Is what I read about a motor being off balance in the cheap ones not true then, it is just that they are less powerful and also are they ultrasonic or what determines that title?
they are out there see my above link.
But not all cheap ones are that type.
It pays too be careful.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thinking about this there is a cleaning system used in industry that that uses the motor driven tech. They are called self agitating cleaning tanks.
The most common method is a large mixer that looks like an over sized cooking mixer but for stuff that may get tangled up in them the motor tech. is used.
I don''t know of anyone selling them for jewelery use but they could be useful for things that the Ultra Sonic might harm.
Its when they are marketed as Ultra Sonic that fraud occurs.

shminbabe

Shiny_Rock
So, Dave and Storm, what would be the difference to me the user between the two models of cleaner you are each talking about? Besides about $150 difference in price?

Can one clean more things in the larger, heavier, more costly model? I notice the smaller one says you can clean jewelry, eye glasses, dentures (dear god, i hope i never have to use it for that), etc. in it? What else might I want to clean and what advantages are there to getting the larger, more $$ one? Is it the same as the kind the jewelry store uses? Would the pricier/larger model clean my rings and other jewelry better? Does the water get hotter? Kaleigh, you have the larger one already. What are the advantages as you see it?

I def. want to get a professional cleaner. They cleaned my ring in the jewelry store on Sat. and I was speechless! I didn''t evne know mine was that "dirty". You can imagine how often I''m cleaning it at home as it is, being so new to me. Also, Bob at Whiteflash says a warm water bath of Dawn and an old toothbrush (I know, gentle) works wonders too. So, why do we "need" an ultrasonic? Just curious about the users'' experiences. (I know I''d be cleaning my stuff all the time!)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/26/2007 11:12:32 PM
Author: shminbabe
So, Dave and Storm, what would be the difference to me the user between the two models of cleaner you are each talking about? Besides about $150 difference in price?

Can one clean more things in the larger, heavier, more costly model? I notice the smaller one says you can clean jewelry, eye glasses, dentures (dear god, i hope i never have to use it for that), etc. in it? What else might I want to clean and what advantages are there to getting the larger, more $$ one? Is it the same as the kind the jewelry store uses? Would the pricier/larger model clean my rings and other jewelry better? Does the water get hotter? Kaleigh, you have the larger one already. What are the advantages as you see it?

I def. want to get a professional cleaner. They cleaned my ring in the jewelry store on Sat. and I was speechless! I didn''t evne know mine was that ''dirty''. You can imagine how often I''m cleaning it at home as it is, being so new to me. Also, Bob at Whiteflash says a warm water bath of Dawn and an old toothbrush (I know, gentle) works wonders too. So, why do we ''need'' an ultrasonic? Just curious about the users'' experiences. (I know I''d be cleaning my stuff all the time!)
I like the having the heat function, like that it doesn''t sound like a bug zapper. The sound of the SI drove everyone nuts, including my doggies. It''s well made and will last a looong time, so it was worth it to me.

Date: 8/26/2007 5:38:23 PM
Author: hedarud
Dave

is this the one for $33.95 -- what a deal ??

Dont forget they didnt mention shipping. When you purchase they wont mention shipping either, but I decided to take my chances because it was already pretty cheap. Ended up being 20 dollars shipping to get it to South carolina. So remember to factor that in to your price.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/26/2007 11:12:32 PM

I def. want to get a professional cleaner. They cleaned my ring in the jewelry store on Sat. and I was speechless! I didn''t evne know mine was that ''dirty''. You can imagine how often I''m cleaning it at home as it is, being so new to me. Also, Bob at Whiteflash says a warm water bath of Dawn and an old toothbrush (I know, gentle) works wonders too. So, why do we ''need'' an ultrasonic? Just curious about the users'' experiences. (I know I''d be cleaning my stuff all the time!)
better quicker cleaning.
Get a steam cleaner too and you can handle almost any cleaning chore.
There are a lot of areas a toothbrush wont get.
Frankly iv seen atleast 3 people scratch up new rings using them.
If your going too do it buy a brand new baby toothbrush extra soft.
Then keep it in a zip lock bag between uses.
A used toothbrush is likely contaminated with abrasives. Dont do it.

hedarud

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/26/2007 11:35:51 PM
Author: WorkingHardforSmallRewards

Date: 8/26/2007 5:38:23 PM
Author: hedarud
Dave

is this the one for $33.95 -- what a deal ??

Dont forget they didnt mention shipping. When you purchase they wont mention shipping either, but I decided to take my chances because it was already pretty cheap. Ended up being 20 dollars shipping to get it to South carolina. So remember to factor that in to your price.

This is super cheap on ebay, around $35 shipped, do we also need some solution or just water is enough ???

do a search for this Sonic Wave CD-2800

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
What about the "Salton Jewelry Spa"? Is it Ultrasonic? It has heat, cleaning and steam. Hot cleaning seems to melt the oil & lotion build up better for me. I find that no matter how clean I get my diamond, if I don't steam it, it will not dry as clear. It comes out clean without steam, but with steam, it looks fabulous! I have even priced professional steamers, because I think steaming at the end of cleaning leaves the diamond the sparkliest. To me that is the element of professional cleaning I like the most!

iluvdiamond

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your help! I think I will get the Branson one..it seems to be very sturdy & they did mention that they will use 40 KHz to clean the jewelery
19.gif
The Gemoro sparkling spa looks prettier & is much cheaper..., but why is it much cheaper than their 1.2 Qt ones...I am just wondering. I am worry that the Gemoro sparkling spa may not last as long as the branson one.

shminbabe

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/26/2007 2:44:27 PM
Author: Kaleigh

Date: 8/26/2007 2:08:15 PM
This is the one Im eventualy going to get:
http://www.amazon.com/Crest-175HT-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-gallon/dp/B000KZQM3Y
I have that one and love it.

Kaleigh:

I hope you see this post. You have the one storm likes and wants. It has heat. Does having heat mean it also "steam cleans"? Can I put my sunglasses in, my prescription eyeglasses, all jewelry (not pearls), etc? Is this the one they might have in a jewelry store?

thanks for your help!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/28/2007 10:58:08 PM

Date: 8/26/2007 2:44:27 PM
Author: Kaleigh

Date: 8/26/2007 2:08:15 PM
This is the one Im eventualy going to get:
http://www.amazon.com/Crest-175HT-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-gallon/dp/B000KZQM3Y
I have that one and love it.

Kaleigh:

I hope you see this post. You have the one storm likes and wants. It has heat. Does having heat mean it also ''steam cleans''? Can I put my sunglasses in, my prescription eyeglasses, all jewelry (not pearls), etc? Is this the one they might have in a jewelry store?

thanks for your help!
no it doesnt steam it just heats the cleaning fluid.
You can turn the heat off if you dont want too use it on an item.
My benchman uses 2 of those exact ones and a couple larger ones of the same type with different cleaning agents in them.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also posted this in the hangout thread:

Does anyone have a Hagerty ultrasonic cleaner? If you have one, do you like it?
When I picked up my Royal Asscher, the store manager insisted on giving me a complimentary Hagerty ultrasonic cleaner. I haven't taken it out of the box or looked at the specs for it. I've never used an ultrasonic because I'm scared of possible loosening of the prongs over time, but if a respected jeweler is giving them to customers, how bad can they be? (Or did he give it to me because I've been such a pest?
11.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results