shape
carat
color
clarity

Snow blowers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Any thoughts? Not sure where to start looking. Any suggestions on brand? I probably won''t go past a 5 HP because of money restraints. Is that adequate? Any input will help.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Don''t have anything to add - but I wonder if there may be a combo leaf blower/snow blower?

What''s going on? Did you propose? How''s the house?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Wonka....man, this is HYSTERICAL. If our lives run any more parallel, I'm going to get spooked out.

As I type this, our new snow blower just got delivered!

The details: In our last place, the landlord didn't clear the sidewalk, so Rich and I bought a small electric blower (Toro Powercurve 1800) to do it. It was small and easy to store.....at only 25 or so pounds, I could easily carry it up and down the cellars stairs between seasons. We figured we'd see if we could get away with that for a season here......hehehe. Think again.

We had our first snow at the new house four days ago on Sunday, and it became obvious pretty quickly that this small blower wasn't going to cut it here. Even with a 50' cord, it wouldn't reach the upper half of the driveway. Also, that motor isn't designed to handle heavy snow (like when the plow goes by the end of your driveway) so the motor would burn out fairly quick. Most important, with only an 18" clearing path, it would take FOREVER to do the driveway.

Here's what we learned this week about snow blowers: if you live in a heavy snow area as we do in MA (or like you do in PA!), you really want a 2-stage machine. 2-stage means it has an auger to collect the snow and an impeller to disburse it....and it has driven wheels. (A single stage has usually only a rubber auger that does it all.)

Two stage machines also have at least 3-4 forward gears and a reverse gear....so you can select the power you need for either a powdery light snow or a heavy, wet snow.

Two brands with solid reputations are Ariens and Toro. I was advised to stay away from Craftsman because the gears are all plastic (my dad went through a few Craftsman machines before learning this....he now has a Toro).

The Toro 828 machine just got top billing in Consumer Reports....but it runs for about $1250. Rich and I decided on the Toro 826 instead. It was $350 less.....priced at $899, this machine did everything the more expensive model did, but it didn't have the headlight or power-steering. The power-steering thing isn't really needed....I can move our machine around just fine, and my mother (who is 125 lbs.) can manage it too (they have the same thing).

Good luck, and I second F&I.......fill us in on the details of your new place/proposal! We're waiting!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI W:

Like Al, we also live in a high snowfall area where in my opinion, a snowblower is a "must". After looking, comparing specs and listening to input from others who already owned machines, we decided on a Honda--and couldn''t be happier! Robust little machine (HS621C) that handles both "wet and dry" snow, it is as reliable as my Honda Pilot. I do the majority of the snow removal in our household and I have never had an issue with this machine--in fact I end up doing our neighbours driveways, since it is so user friendly and fuel efficient! (and no I am not a Honda employee hee hee heh)

Specs:
Engine: overhead valve, 4 stroke
Displacement: 163cc
Max. Power: 6HP/4,000 RPM
Starting system: Manual recoil
Drive type: manual
Traction system: dual track drive
Drive mechanism: auger assisted
Clearing width: 522mm/21 in.
Auger diameter: 230mm/9.1 in.
Housing height: 323mm/12.7 in.
Auger type & drive: rubber tip paddle & belt
Chute crank & turning: manual lever & 220 degrees
Max. discharge: 10m/33.0 ft.
Fuel capacity: 1.2L/.275 gal.
Open timetank: app. 1.4 hrs.
Overall length: 1230mm/48.4 in.
Overall width: 570mm/22.4 in.
Overall height: 980mm/38.6 in.
Dry weight: 41.5kg/91.3 lbs.

Although I cannot recall exactly what we paid, it was around $900 Canadian (three ? years ago). We had friends who owned other machines, sold them and ended up buying a Honda. Good luck in your search!

cheers--Sharon

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all!

Well, maybe much to al''s dismay, I ended up getting a craftsman snow blower. I wish I had checked back on here before I bought, but I kinda moved quick. It is an 8 HP (which is bigger than I thought), but decided to pay the extra $150 to get something that had multiple speed, reverse, bigger clearance, and metal parts. It is two stage, so it should work quite nicely.

I don''t know all about the gears al, I know the one I originally looked at had plastic blades in the auger. I think I''m going to buy the service plan, where they come to the home, replace parts, and fix. It is $100 for 3 years or $150 for 5 years. Not sure what route I will go. Do you know what size your dad had?

It looks like a sturdy machine! I may get a chance this week to use it too :) We''ll see what the weather does!

I promise, promise, promise to update about the engagement and house within the next week or so. It has been so hectic, but I go back to work tomorrow, so I have no choice but to slow down and do things as I can. I want to be prepared with pics, etc. for ya!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results