shape
carat
color
clarity

New Kitchen Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
What a timely thread... we''ve slowly been remodeling our kitchen. I know the current convo is on cabinets, but since we are still working on those (ive been thinking resurface, but interested to hear that it can cost as much as new) I wanted to show off our tile floor we just put down ourselves. From start to finish it took us about a week to complete, although most work was done over one weekend and then several nights after work. Total cost was about $600 for just over 100 sqft (Durock, tile, adhesive, grout). When it came time to pick grout, I wanted something darker that would help hide dirt and stains and we picked out this nice warm grey. We also used an epoxy grout which cost more, but should be stain resistant and never need sealing. It was a pain in the a$$ to put down (sticky and a little on the dry side), but sealed the tile at the same time and looks fabulous. So far so good! Cant wait to hear of your progress!

njctile2006.jpg

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Thats a great looking floor!!! Can I hire you
9.gif

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Well...after a little looking around and research, here is a first basic idea for Cabs & Countertop. Love to here thoughts!

BTW...In person, those cab stains are virtually identical...probably looking more like the Thomasville pic.

so far.JPG

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re:breakfest bar topic,

I think having JUST the countertop looks funny IMHO. What if you built (or found) an open bookshelf so it would not block your heating but would provide additional storage (you could get baskets). I would have it built in the same wood/stain to match up.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
I hear ya Tacori.

Not sure how to deal with it, however. If we just set a cabinet in front of the baseboard heater, I wonder if it would work.

bbidea1.JPG

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Side View...Might have to put some kind of filler between cab and wall to attach cabinet firm to the wall however!

bbidea2.JPG

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2006 11:20:34 PM
Author: wonka27
Well...after a little looking around and research, here is a first basic idea for Cabs & Countertop. Love to here thoughts!

BTW...In person, those cab stains are virtually identical...probably looking more like the Thomasville pic.
Good looking choices Wonka! I prefer the look of the Thomasville cabinet from your pics. It should look great with your countertop. We used Cambria Oxford for our kitchen countertops. They were installed last October and we have been extremely pleased with them! They are very attractive and low maintenance.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Sun.

At HD, we had them take one sample out to put up next to the other. They really looked the same in person. We may take one more look to be sure, but that aspect looks good.

The breakfast bar is what is killing me...LOL. I need to get my brother in law over for a serious pow wow about this!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
You need to talk to a heating/cooling guy - the one''s that service your system.

One thing you can do if you don''t go with a cabinet is to angle the countertop back into the wall. It won''t make it stick out so much.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
But an open bookcase would NOT cover your heating system at all.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
I need to do some research, but apparently (as per a couple people at our family picnic today), there is something called a kickspace heater that is built under the cabinetry. The premise is that it still runs the hot water into coils I guess...but a fan blows the heat out from under the cabinetry. While this will cost me probably close to $1000 for extra base cabinets that go there, plus the cost of changing the heating around a little bit, it may make that area exactly what I want.

Is anyone familiar with this beast I speak of???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results