shape
carat
color
clarity

May Have Found a Dress - Need HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 4:52:46 PM
Author: mercoledi
It looks like AT has the same dress in a different print, though I''d prefer the leafy print. Or this one, same shape but in black and white. If you can pull off that green in accessories, it would be awesome.

This shape is really beautiful on a lot of figures. There are similar dresses here, and here.

Another option might be the J Crew Sophia dress. They have an unexpected amount of room in the chest and a nice slim along the rib cage. If you''re at the mall, it might be worth a shot. These look sooo much better on than they do on the skinny-mini models or on the hanger.

This is another like the J Crew sophia.

You have a great figure; do it justice!

mercoledi - I like that second Ann Taylor one a lot. I''ll definitely try to find it to try on this weekend. I''ve never heard of Barry Pace - do you know, do they have retail stores?

I was definitely looking at the J Crew Sophia for a while - I generally really like J Crew stuff, but worry that that dress might require a lot of alterations to fit right. I got an Avery (one of their old styles) off eBay in Navy, and while its a lovely dress, and the top fits fairly well (I got a regular size 6), the body is HUGE, and in the words of my DH, looks a bit like a nightgown...
15.gif

I''m reluctant to get dresses without trying them on - I just have such a tough time with fit, it really seems like trying to find the proverbial needle in the haystack, and I could go through my entire dress budget on shipping fees...
20.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 5:17:19 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
Date: 5/28/2008 4:25:01 PM

Author: AmberGretchen

Tacori - I''ve actually always liked fuller skirts because I felt like they accentuated a smaller waist, but you may be right about it making me look shorter - definitely not what I was going for
14.gif

SDL - I totally feel your pain on the gapping/big bust thing. Its been an ongoing problem for me for as long as I can remember. I was hoping that they would get smaller once I lost weight, but they really didn''t by much - I went from a 36D to a 32DD, 50 lbs later
20.gif
If anything, it actually makes it harder - when I was more of a size 12-14 all over, there wasn''t as much of an issue with stuff fitting up top, but now that I''m more of a 4 all over, its actually MORE difficult. Go figure
3.gif
20.gif

I can never comprehend WHY women want to go out and get ginormous fakies - out of hopelessness in shopping.. I hate it and have spend minutes in the dressing room crying.. I''d much prefer to be oh say.. Cameron Diaz size or something maybe a *tad* bigger.. I like having SOME girls, just not more than my fair share!!!!!!!!!
20.gif

I TOTALLY agree - I have friends who talk all the time about how they wish they had more up top, and they never believe me when I tell them they really are better off. I definitely feel like I got way more than my share, and have considered having a reduction (and may still at some point). It is really a nightmare when shopping, and it really makes one very self-conscious. I''m so jealous of a lot of my smaller-chested friends, because they can wear all kinds of things that would just look obscene on me
38.gif
14.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
AG, I always have good luck at White House/Black Market and Ann Taylor. Try a slimmer skirt. I promise you''ll like it.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I still like the DVF...*shrug* The other dress was flattering, too, though!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/28/2008 2:25:21 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
You know what I think it is....the fuller skirt. I am short and cannot do those. It just makes short girls look shorter.
HI:

Love the color but agree wtih Tacori on the full skirt.

cheers--Sharon

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Thing2 - DH still likes it a lot as well, so I''m feeling very up in the air right now. I don''t have a ton more time to figure it out though
7.gif
I think I''ll see how shopping this weekend goes and then decide.

Sharon - thanks so much for your comments. I guess I hadn''t really thought about the full skirt except to assume that it would make my waist look smaller, but I can see how it is certainly shortening in the photos I posted, though I''m less sure in real life - the full-length pictures were taken from slightly below me, which is never a flattering angle
14.gif
But I will for sure try a slimmer skirt as the ladies here have suggested and see what I think - before I lost weight I couldn''t wear them, but I''m still getting to know my new body, so perhaps things have changed
1.gif

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 10:47:49 PM
Author: canuk-gal

Date: 5/28/2008 2:25:21 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
You know what I think it is....the fuller skirt. I am short and cannot do those. It just makes short girls look shorter.
HI:

Love the color but agree wtih Tacori on the full skirt.

cheers--Sharon
As a short person, I agree that unless the skirt if full length, full skirts are not good news. This dress might work better since the straps make the line longer, so the poof doesn''t seem like it would be a problem, http://www.anntaylor.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=5073&No=15&pCategoryId=2259&Ns=CATEGORY_SEQ_2262&N=1200286&Nty=1&categoryId=2262&defaultColorNameFromCategory=Crimson&defaultSizeTypeFromCategory=Misses.
Another pink, but I think it could be really lovely http://www.anntaylor.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=16353&No=30&pCategoryId=2259&Ns=CATEGORY_SEQ_2262&N=1200286&Nty=1&categoryId=2262&defaultColorNameFromCategory=Berry&defaultSizeTypeFromCategory=Misses

Personally, I think this woud be amazing with your figure http://www.anntaylor.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=12671&No=30&pCategoryId=2259&Ns=CATEGORY_SEQ_2262&N=1200286&Nty=1&categoryId=2262&defaultColorNameFromCategory=Dark%20Midnight%20Blue&defaultSizeTypeFromCategory=Misses

I think its ironic all the girls who bemoan large breasts since I spent my teens almost flat chested. Believe me, nothing fits when they are that flat either. Out of nowhere mine finally grew, and I cried with joy when I reached a C cup because of all the problems I had when I was an A cup.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks BIH - I really like the last two you posted especially, sadly, neither is available in my size (they both come only as small as a 6, and that navy and white dress from AT was a 2 - I usually take a 2 or a 4P there in most things)
15.gif
Its really too bad as they are both so lovely...

Good to hear more input on the full skirt issue as well - I had honestly never heard that for short girls.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
AG, I actually think the DVF is very flattering because of what you said-it makes your waist look teeny tiny! I don''t know-I don''t think there are any real rules for dressing as far as being short or tall (or big or small) goes, but I''m 5''8" so I am certainly no expert on petite dressing!

I just think the DVF is so gorgeous and dramatic, whereas the other dress is so safe. Plus when you throw on a strappy heel, it will lengthen your legs even more. I don''t know-I say if you feel fantastic in the DVF, you should rock it. I really do think you look great in it!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Yup, a different bra, a shrug and some sky-high heels.

(it''s not at all unattractive on you, it''s just that the blue one''s shape was very flattering)

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks you guys - I was going to try for a different bra for sure, and something to wear over it, and some really high strappy heels. I think I''ll see what I find when I''m shopping this weekend, and if I find a really fantastic dress that doesn''t require as much additional work, I might do that instead and return the DVF. We shall see what I find - the different bra I think will be crucial, as I feel too mashed to really be comfortable in the DVF as-is, and if I''m uncomfortable, that sort of takes the fun out of rocking the dress...
40.gif

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
chiming in to say that i think the DVF is a knockout! love it. you look fantastic!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks lulu - this dress certainly seems to inspire polarized opinions - some love it and some really don''t like it at all...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
AG, it''s not that I don''t *like* the dress but the skirt is too much for your figure. But I agree, go with what you love and feel comfortable in.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Tacori - thanks for the clarification. I think that is honestly the hardest thing for me about dressing myself since I''ve lost weight, is that I have to learn what does and doesn''t work on my new "size" self, and actually, a surprising number of things do look overwhelming or like too much.

What do you guys think of this dress from BCBG - I don''t know why, but I think its kind of adorable. I could probably go to a BCBG store this weekend and hopefully they would have it there for me to try on...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE and ADORE that one shoulder BCBG.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
AG, that is awesome you lost so much weight! I am in awe. Any tricks?
31.gif
Personally I think being petite you need to watch the hem line (nothing mid knee for example), skirt volume (unless it is full length like someone mentioned) and more fitted dress looks best IMHO. I think the one SDL posted would look stunning on you. The black one...I''d have to see it on. I am worried by the "looseness" of it. Pre baby I was a size 2/4 and at 5''1" if I wore something looser (like baby doll styles) just made me look preggo. They were too much for me.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
SDL - I really liked that one as well. Its one of my favorite colors, and I think it would still be cool enough for East Coast summer humidity.

Gypsy - I''m hoping you and I can find the red one and the black one to try on on Saturday. And possibly a couple of others from that website - there were a lot of cute black ones, and hey, every girl needs a great LBD, right?

Tacori - that''s good to know about the looseness. I think that was my concern looking at it too - with the um...generous...girls...um, well, anything that sort of hangs too loosely from there down does tend to make me look preggo, or at least much larger than I am now
2.gif
No major tips on the weight loss - I did it the old fashioned way, counting calories and upping my exercise. I think the one thing that made a HUGE difference for me was just writing it down (I used Sparkpeople), because that allowed my eating to be less about judging myself and having guilt/shame etc...and more about just fueling my body appropriately and making smart choices and tradeoffs so I could still indulge sometimes, but not all the time.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
AG...I had to post because I am the same size as you 4 and short with a chest and...I have that dress. I love DVF and recieved another dress for my b-day Wednesday. I''m telling you that the dress looks much better in person than it does on the camera shots you have. You look fantastic but I think if the pic was from a different angle it may look different to all of us. Unfortunatley my dress is being altered right now so I can''t take a picture of it however, I have another dress that is the same style by Betsy Johnson and I''ll try and take some pictures and post them back to you. Maybe it''ll give you another idea of what it looks like so that you don''t have to judge yourself. I think you should keep the DVF...its beautiful. Then again, I know that I have a specific taste that most of my friends wouldn''t dare wear.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock

Ok, I looked at the pictures again. I really think its the camera. The far shot is making you look shorter than you really are. The close up shots you can see how the dress defines your body and I think it is perfect.

I realized that my BJ dress is a little shorter than the DVF dress but here is the same style on me. What do you think? I always get compliments on this dress but I think its because it totally suits my personality.

bjdress1.JPG

laine

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with emeraldlover that alot of the problem is the camera angle. Shots facing square to the camera tend to be unflattering, arms at your sides can make look wider, but both hands on your hips can broaden your shoulders. Most flattering is to angle yourself slightly to the camera, and bend your elbow, so there is a gap between your arm and body, which emphasizes the small waist. You're sort of doing that in this shot, which is the one where the dress looks best.
pinkdvfdressthreequ44.jpg

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy - that is STUNNING
30.gif
I hope we can find it too...

Emeraldlover - you are so sweet! I''m actually a 6 in the DVF - I think its the chest, ''cause I need a 6 in some brands of dresses and a 4 or even a 2 in others, and it all seems to depend on how its cut in the chest. I do agree that the angle of the shots isn''t great - as I said in an earlier post, most were taken from bad angles and in not-great lighting. That stripey number you posted is DARLING on you - you have such a lovely figure. I think I''m doubting the DVF for two reasons in addition to the comments here. One is that I don''t think I have super-amazing collarbones/chest area, like you do in that picture. The other is more serious, that I don''t really know if its "me." In general, my style tends to be fairly conservative, simple and tailored and classic (at least that''s what I aim for), although I definitely have a very girly side as well. I guess I''m just not sure if I feel like the dress would really be me, or me trying to be someone else. Does that make sense? I agree - if its "you" then its definitely a dress that can be rocked, in a big way, and based on the pic you posted, I think you will totally rock it. I''m just not totally sure I can, because I''m not totally sure how "me" it is...

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks too laine - I''m constantly trying to work on looking better in pictures. I used to HATE pictures when I was heavier, but now that I''ve gotten a little more comfortable with them, I''m realizing I''m kind of awkward when I take pictures, so I''m trying to work on being less awkward. Your comments are really helpful
1.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OK, I while we''re on dresses, I wanted to post a couple of pics of another dress - for several reasons. 1) I''m thinking of wearing it (WITH a sweater over it - I have a lovely soft pink cardigan) to go out for Father''s Day Dinner with my IL''s and possibly also to an hors d''ouevres reception the day before the wedding I got the pink dress for, and 2) I think it gives a slightly better sense of my actual proportions IRL, although still not great...

FYI, this is a J Crew dress, the fabric is actually seersucker, and I got it on super sale for $35
9.gif

browndressthreequart11.jpg

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks cuter with a belt - probably a different one than this. What do you guys think?

browndressthreequartwbelt2.jpg

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Really like the belt, I feel like it adds something important to the shape. Anyone know of a good place to get good, cheap belts? Color suggestions?

browndresssidewbelt33.jpg

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a front shot - disregard the large fluffy bit of tail in the edge of the picture - my kitty thought he was "helping"
20.gif

frontbrowndressbelt4.jpg

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I also tried it with a cute scarf tied around the waist, but I really think the belt is better. What do you think?

browndressfrontscarf5.jpg

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Hey AG, completely unrelated...but I spy a raggie tail in some of your pictures...hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results