Votes: 4 20.0%
  • no, not at all give me some freakin' space

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • possibly depends

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
I was at a store and the sales lady was distracting me as I was trying on a caridgan and looking in the mirror.
I get home and later discover that the sweater had a line across the middle and that will show someone how fat you are.
So, a friend said i should have said that i should speak up and tell the woman to basically go away. i said thats rude she said no. what do u think

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like to shop in peace and take my time. Therefore, I would assertively inform the salesperson that I am just browsing, and shall request for his/her assistance if and when that is necessary. Usually that does the trick and they would leave me alone.

If he/she continues to follow me around and gets pushy, I shall leave.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, not rude at all to say you do not need any assistance. If you tell her/him politely that you do not need help I don't think that is rude. I have never had a salesperson pursue trying to help me when I tell them I do not need any help and if one did that would be rude on their part. I like being asked if I need help though as that shows good service. Usually the only help I ever need is for the salesperson to take what I want to try on and put it in a dressing room for me. That is always welcome assistance IMO.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think I could bring myself to tell someone to leave. I just couldn't do it, I would feel I was being rude. I know most will think I'm wrong and a wimp, and I probably am but I can't help the way I feel.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Recently I went to Nordstrom on a whim and was dressed kinda blah, no jewelry, no fancy anything. I was looking at michael Kors watches and the salesman came over and wouldn't let me touch any of the watches. He insisted on getting them for me and then followed me all around the jewelry department like I was going to steal the merchandise. I was pissed. The previous time I was there I was dressed up, full jewelry, the sales lady fell over herself trying to get me to touch the merchandise . Neither was right. I wish both had left me alone.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
How was she distracting you? By being polite and having conversation? Yes, it would be rude to ask someone to leave. It's one thing if you don't need assistance and you say something like "just looking" right from the beginning, but its another to ask someone to go away if they are simply being polite. It's part of her job to interact with customers and it doesn't sound like it was her fault that you didn't pay enough attention to the fit of your sweater.

BrittanyLovgonski

Rough_Rock
NO, its not rude. . .

Just tell the sales lady that you are just browsing.

I don't like it when the saleslady follows after me from rack to rack. . .

It's just so ugh, annoying.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the end of the day, its important to do it the way it works for you. I think you can easily say to the sales associate "Thank you, you've been really helpful, and now I need some time to think about it, so I'll call you/come find you when I'm ready." There is nothing rude about that and let's you do what you need to do. :))

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1399655932|3669123 said:
At the end of the day, its important to do it the way it works for you. I think you can easily say to the sales associate "Thank you, you've been really helpful, and now I need some time to think about it, so I'll call you/come find you when I'm ready." There is nothing rude about that and let's you do what you need to do. :))
Great wording :appl:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1389300134|3589724 said:
How was she distracting you? By being polite and having conversation? Yes, it would be rude to ask someone to leave. It's one thing if you don't need assistance and you say something like "just looking" right from the beginning, but its another to ask someone to go away if they are simply being polite. It's part of her job to interact with customers and it doesn't sound like it was her fault that you didn't pay enough attention to the fit of your sweater.

I don't think when you say something matters. If they come up right away, say you don't need assistance. If they've been helping, just say something like "thank you for your help, that's all I needed" or something.

As friendly as a customer service rep is, if they aren't working for commission, they are happy to leave you alone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results