shape
carat
color
clarity

Would love any help with Cushion Cut Halo, Round Stone

FrankSoprano

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

There is a wealth of knowledge here and it really seems like an awesome community. I've read through about a dozen pages and see some very similar, but not exact scenarios. Simply put, I've taken my gf around and we've seen that she likes a cushion cut halo(forgive me if terminology is incorrect) with a round stone. My budget is approx 8-9k but I could be willing to go to 10k if thats what it would take to get me across the goal line.

I already knew that she had expensive taste, but the rings that she's picked out(at various stores) have been around $3,300 - $3,900 and its a little difficult to swallow spending almost half of the budget on just the band. However, I think that the bands are gorgeous and seem to be a step above anything else that I've been able to find online. I do not know the exact total carat weight of the bands, but they are north of 1.5 and clearly have a lot greater substance and shimmer than what I can see on blue nile, james allen, and most anywhere else.

With that, I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and get the band in store(because I've seen it in person and know that she loves it) and try to price out the store for the center stone alongside what I can find online.

I've been told several times(from her) that the size is more important than most other things(rolls eyes but I've heard all of her friends agree), so I think its just finding the right eye clean stone without any yellow, and with a great cut.

Once i'm in store, I have the saleswomen pull out about 3 stones at a time that are in budget but they're a little less than ideal size. I'd love to get over 1.1 and would go higher if i can get to 1.2+. Part of the problem is that they've brought out a couple that are trade-ins or are uncertified and it really throws me for a loop as far as being unsure of what to trust with the dozens of variables.

Are there any recommendations for what a next step should be? Go with the band but make sure that I write down every characteristic of the stones such that I can compare them online?

I've included some images below(hopefully they come through. This particular band is about $3,200, about $1,000 more for the matching wedding band. Thanks in advance for looking!

img_5976.jpgimg_5978.jpgimg_5977.jpgimg_5973.jpgimg_5974.jpg

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP
You have come to the right place.
Window shop all you want.......now get in touch with the PS vendors that do the work you want.
Most people on the forum contact Brilliantly Engaged, Steven Kirch, and Victor Canera.
I used BE as you can see from the avatar (contact is Chris), but call the others.
Best of luck.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also contact Yuki at IDJ. He seems to be able to work wonders with a budget!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WillyDiamond|1484608772|4115829 said:
OP
Window shop all you want.......now get in touch with the PS vendors that do the work you want.
Most people on the forum contact Brilliantly Engaged, Steven Kirch, and Victor Canera.
I used BE as you can see from the avatar (contact is Chris), but call the others.
Best of luck.

SK and VC are gonna be WAAAAAYYYY over budget. ::)

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
msop04|1484609459|4115833 said:
OP
Best of luck.

Good point, then try BE, they are usually priced under SK and VC

OP, reread your post, I don't think you want to buy un-certified stones. If you do so, all you are doing is buying a pig in a poke. People on the forum use reports, images, and tools to help decide.

FrankSoprano

Rough_Rock
WillyDiamond|1484612481|4115839 said:
msop04|1484609459|4115833 said:
OP
Best of luck.

Good point, then try BE, they are usually priced under SK and VC

OP, reread your post, I don't think you want to buy un-certified stones. If you do so, all you are doing is buying a pig in a poke. People on the forum use reports, images, and tools to help decide.

I appreciate it. It was a pretty big red flag when I heard the salesperson bring it up. That and another stone that was a good value but was a trade in.

Thanks also for the suggestions. I'll definitely look into the individuals on here.

FrankSoprano

Rough_Rock
msop04|1484609155|4115831 said:
This stone is just shy of the 7 mm mark and scores less than 2 on the HCA (at 1.9). It is also above the 1.2 ct mark and is super clean at VS1. I really couldn't find anything else that was close for the price.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.30-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2108034 $6360

This is a beautiful stone. Would this be a good path to evaluate if I were to buy the ring at my local jewler and have this set with it? I will definitely also look into some of the online vendors that you and others have recommended.

FrankSoprano

Rough_Rock
Sorry to triple post on this. I'm a bit hesitant on custom designing a ring and to do so with someone across the country. Because I know that my girlfriend really like this setting, would it be unusual to work on securing this setting and comparing ring pricing against in-store vs James Allen? If they're far off, I could purchase them separately.

Thanks in advance!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results