shape
carat
color
clarity

Worst SI-1 Inculsion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Viv

Rough_Rock
Hi All- Have been doing some reading on here lately, and shopping for diamond....What is the worst inclusions that I should look out for? Anything worse than another??

I don''t mind seeing a small spec, but I don''t want anyone else to notice, and I don''t want to have my diamond chip one day-

Any suggestions are helpful!
Thanks so much!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d say it''s not the inclusions themselves so much as location, spread, and severity.

That said, I''m (probably irrationally) afraid of knots.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I don''t even know what a knot is. What does it look like? Is it like a crystal inside the stone?

tonyc2387

Shiny_Rock
A knot is a crystal that comes to the surface of the stone. In bad cases, it can have a greater risk of chipping and/or falling out, creating a cavity (even worse).

Clouds that affect performance are also annoying... but I agree, a particularly bad crystal/knot/cavity can easily be the ''worst''.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2010 6:22:37 PM
Author: tonyc2387
A knot is a crystal that comes to the surface of the stone. In bad cases, it can have a greater risk of chipping and/or falling out, creating a cavity (even worse).

Clouds that affect performance are also annoying... but I agree, a particularly bad crystal/knot/cavity can easily be the ''worst''.
I agree.

But you can''t really judge this stuff from the cert, each diamond needs to be assessed on its own merits.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clouds in SI1 or SI2 clarity that set the grade need careful evaluation.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I avoid feathers and major clouds.

Viv

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much everyone....

Would any of these inclusions be a problem in an SI-1 if they are "eye clean" ? Are they only a problem if they are not "eye clean" ? Is an SI-1 much better than SI -2 or much worse than VS-2?

Thank you!
21.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2010 10:37:05 AM
Author: Viv
Thanks so much everyone....

Would any of these inclusions be a problem in an SI-1 if they are 'eye clean' ? Are they only a problem if they are not 'eye clean' ? Is an SI-1 much better than SI -2 or much worse than VS-2?

Thank you!
21.gif
Clouds can be a potential issue in SI clarities as they can impact performance and brilliance if these are responsible for the SI grade in some cases. As a general rule, if an SI clarity is eyeclean most should be fine but do be careful with clouds and if you find a surface reaching feather, in these cases you need an expert to inspect the stone for you. VS and above, not normally any durability or other issues if reliably graded but still take each on a case by case basis.

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
You didn''t say what size and shape of diamond. But the larger the diamond, and the larger the table, the harder it is to get SI1 or SI2 that''s completely eye clean.

I''m none of those odd people who would rather have one discrete dark speck than a feather, a huge white crystal, colored graining, or twinning whisps that can be seen without a loupe, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results