shape
carat
color
clarity

Wholesale or retail? What to expect for trade in/sale OEC?

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Let me first say that I am so torn taking this in, but I think I need to consider just starting from scratch. Either, I am not comfortable wearing a "solitaire" setting or can't get the setting low enough for my comfort with such a deep diamond. I just think more of a cluster ring may be what works best for me...I have found a setting I love as is, but I would need to purchase a center OMC (a little over 1 carat) and eight OMC's (around 3mm each in diameter).

Currently, I have .85 cts of 1.5-1.7 mm french cuts and a 2.4 OEC K-L VS1-2. I am going to interview yet another potential jeweler to (possibly) buy my diamonds and source/make this ring.

My question is, what do I expect? I know I can expect to get low-balled for my parcel and diamond, but what can or can't I ask for them as far as pricing of the ring? So can' I ask wholesale price for the new ring if I accept that for my diamond? I waited to ask because I know I sound cheap. I am just trying to remain in budget...

I am meeting them in the a.m, but any advice would be great! What do I DO??! Thanks in advance...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Wholesale or retail? What to expect for trade in/sale O

#1, I wouldn't sell the diamonds to the jeweler you are planning to have make the new ring. I'd check with Jewels by Erica Grace and see whether they think you'd net more from consignment first. I would also take the diamonds to 3 or 5 jewelers and get offers on the stones. I certainly wouldn't sell them to the first person I asked. But yes, you would be selling at wholesale if you sell to a jeweler. I do not think you can expect the new ring to be made at wholesale. I would be looking at jewelers that specialize in old cuts to make the new ring. I'd talk to Singlestone especially. They might could give you quotes on the old stones and quotes to make the new ring. I would highly recommend looking through their site before deciding on a design if you haven't already. (It starts with the smallest rings, so the larger ones are in the higher pages.)

http://www.singlestone.com/index.php?page=collections&catID=3

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks so much Diamondseeker2006! I forgot to mention that I get a little panicky at the thought of doing a custom job elsewhere. I am on my third experience that has involved with me waiting a LOOONG time to get CADs/revisions. This last time, I waited a month and a half to get one and I didn't even get it. I kept being told "you'll get it tomorrow!" I know Single Stone has a good rep, but #1 they seem soooo expensive (I inquired about several diamonds before I found mine) are they?, #2, what is the turnaround time like?

Having it local, I can at least walk in to a place and speak with someone face to face. I am running out of options and jewelers though.
I would give anything just to have my old ring back!

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock

So sorry to hear about your ring woes, VinJewels! Just wanted to mention that - depending on how tight your timeline is - you could post it on DiamondBistro and in the PS Preloved forum and test the waters for a little while before sending it somewhere for consignment. Especially if you have good photographs of the stone, it might be worth trying to sell it yourself (the photos you posted already are really quite good - it's a beautiful stone)! You may be able to offer someone a good deal while pocketing more of the proceeds yourself without a middleman. Plus I think a lot of people on PriceScope would find the diamond's story appealing and respect its history, if you found a PS buyer. :)

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks evergreen. I just got home and am licking my wounds from the meeting... :(( I will say he graded it 5 grades lower than my GIA appraiser did. He also suggested a recut it to a 2ct RB and he'd give 1/2 what I paid for it toward a trade in if I spend double that amount (Um...recut...have you LOST YOUR MIND??!!!). This, in his mind, would maximize my "value." YES, he specialized in Estate Jewelry.

Anyway, I did speak JBEG and was talked off the wire by Erica. At this point, she's seen the stone, disagrees with the harshness, and agrees with me on the not recutting. Seriously?? Its a VS2!! :nono: I will be sending the stone in for a cert and, from there, it will be in the hands of JBEG for consignment. From my past dealings with them, they are the only ones I trust.

The only positive he had for me was when he weighed it and said "Its not a 2.41, its a 2.43!"
Thanks Mr. Youjustwipedyourbuttwithmydiamond.

Again, really appreciate the help. It made me a little prepped for what I would hear. It still hurt, but without it, I would have been blindsided. So thanks!!!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I would second DS's advice to you. I would consign it via JBEG or list it via DB/PS Pre-loved forum. Selling it to a retailer won't get you half of it's value and the thought of that always makes me sick.

Having worked with Singlestone long distance, I can tell you that it's not the same as sitting down with some one face to face. However, Ari sent me rings/settings more than once so that I could see what he was talking about. He was incredibly patient and promised me that if I wasn't 100% thrilled with ring, he would make me another one. That is just what happened and Ari made good on his promise. He is a bit more expensive than some of the other PS vendors out there, but he's totally worth it. I am so in love with my ring and Ari has won my heart (and my business) forever.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

I would not suggest trading in your OEC with a jeweler, you will get peanuts for it. Sell it privately, either yourself or on consignment.

ETA: Just read your post and saw what a tool that guy was. Consigning with JBEg sounds like a good idea. I looked at your thread and love the diamond and the mount it is in for the photos especially! Can I please say you are crazy to trade it in for a cluster style ring 8) :tongue:

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock

That was the exact response I had to the offer yennyfire...sick. Its on its way to JBEG.

Lol. That's why I love PSers. I really value the opinions on here. I would have to agree with you that, yes, it is a little crazy, but I have tried to set this and just can't get it low enough. What if I showed my dream ring?? It is set with Old mine cuts (the center is a little over a carat) :cheeky:

my precious.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, that is beautiful metalwork. Just lovely!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

That is lovely, no doubt! What is the depth of your current diamond? OMCs are, as you likely know, deeper than OECs as a rule. You might not actually get the ring and "lower" ;))

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock

Minousbijoux, that is what made me love it. I found it on Ruby Lane, contact the store and it had just sold. It was the first complete ring I have seen that made me feel like my original did. Just perfect (for me). Even my husband said "Wow! That's it!" and he's been pretty quiet thru this process.

This ring had all the beautiful engraving and metalwork, nice stones, good finger coverage, and it would be more comfortable. My original ring had that and I wore it all the time.

Dreamer_D, I think I get what you are saying. I spoke with Erica today and think it isn't necessarily the height, but the taper. Although, I don't want it high, I think 5-6 mm (maybe a bit more) would be fine. I just have really funny hands for a ring that is small on the bottom and top heavy (knuckles are way bigger than skinny fingers). No matter how many sizing beads, it flip flops back and forth North to South. I feel too cautious wearing it too. Oh, the diamond I currently own is 4.94 mm.

I am trying not to get too far ahead as I get really anxious and feel like I start making decisions based on impatience and wanting to get this done, so Erica and I discussed that the first and second step is to send to her and then get it certified (probably EGL). Its been educational to say the least...I should have been posting here long ago rather than going it alone.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock

**edited by moderator. we do not allow self promotion on PS. please do not link to your items for sale on the regular forum**

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

WOW, it's a beauty! Look at those colors. I hate for you that it's not working out.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock

Sorry Ella. Wasn't sure where to put it. It isn't for sale and probably won't be for weeks. Suggestions would be great.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

vinjewels|1329770097|3130277 said:
Sorry Ella. Wasn't sure where to put it. It isn't for sale and probably won't be for weeks. Suggestions would be great.

vinjewels, once you have it listed for sale with JBEG, you can start a thread in the Pre-Love PS Jewels Forum which is found under PS cafe. You can provide the link to the JBEG listing and post pictures.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
vinjewels|1329770097|3130277 said:

vinjewels, once you have it listed for sale with JBEG, you can start a thread in the Pre-Love PS Jewels Forum which is found under PS cafe. You can provide the link to the JBEG listing and post pictures.

Yep. The PreLoved PS board is hopping!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results