shape
carat
color
clarity

Whiteflash ACA Sanity Check

onezero

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys,

I'm close to ordering an e-ring and would like a sanity check before I do.
I'm 100% sold on a Whiteflash ACA RB stone and my budget is ~ USD 5,000, the other specs are:

0.80 - 1.00CT
D - H
VVS - SI1 (Eye Clean)

I feel like I can't really go wrong with any ACA stone as the leg work has already been done for me but based on my amateur knowledge, I've bookmarked these three as the best they have in my range:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=3685709,3653203,3766247

Could some of you more experienced folk please give me a sanity check and let me know if i'm on the right path and if there's a better option available?

I'm nervous about the table inclusions on these three but being eye-clean it shouldn't be a problem right??

Many thanks in advance!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Others will give you more nuanced opinions but yes being ACA they've already done the legwork for you. I couldn't explain way, I liked the one in the middle the best (fat arrows/contrast), inclusions cannot be seen even in magnified picture) but really visually speaking they will all be performers.
VS2, don't really need to worry about clarity. But I did like the middle one the best because the one on right I could see the inclusion in the magnified photo (prob very difficult to spot in real life) and other said additional clouds not shown. this is being extremely nitpicky.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As you stated...cant really go wrong with an ACA...I like the center one too but I would probably hop up to the G for not much
more $. You should call WF Monday (or Tuesday) and have them compare the middle H with the G. See what they have to say.
Ask about any inclusions you can see from like 6 inches and how big is the cloud? Does the cloud affect the G? How do they
compare with brightness, brilliance...etc. That should help you come to a conclusion.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recommend that you include Expert Selection stones in your search.

I see some really well cut 6.0mm+ F VS2 Expert Selection stones in that price range.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can't go wrong but call them, customer service is excellent, and ask for their opinion. You will get a gorgeous diamond!

onezero

Rough_Rock
Thanks, everyone!
I've asked the consultant I've been dealing with to inspect these stones first hand and provide their opinion on the inclusions. Especially on the G stone.

Thanks for that suggestion too diamondseeker. Looking at the idealscope there looks to be a reasonable amount of leakage in the table and a bit more green on the ASET than the others. Will that translate to a significant difference in real world quality?

I feel like I'm worrying too much about these big pictures when the reality is the stone is only 6mm across and I won't notice a difference between any of these stones in real life. :oops:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I do not think you could see any difference, but they can take pictures for you and tell you for sure. It is still AGS Ideal cut so there usually are only tiny things that make a stone Expert Selection rather than ACA. But they would tell you if there is a reason you should make another choice. I'd most want to see the size difference. The H is cut a little deeper, so it may not face up much larger. But still, the closer to 1 ct you can get, the better!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
onezero|1483338618|4111518 said:
I feel like I'm worrying too much about these big pictures when the reality is the stone is only 6mm across and I won't notice a difference between any of these stones in real life. :oops:

I respectfully disagree. This diamond has enough leakage and less bright areas so that it can be differentiated from a better cut diamond even by an inexperienced buyer. Overtime, as you learn how a diamond reflects light and play with the diamond, you will eventually tell difference.

More importantly, I do not like craftmanship and thinking-process went into cutting of this stone (0.9 H VS2); excessive painting and digging.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
flying pig, I am not sure you know what a stone with painting looks like, because that one doesn't look like it at all to me.

I have two ACAs but my daughter has one the great WF Premium Select stones, and I assure you, I wouldn't have approved of it had we been able to see a visual difference. I did stress that he should get the opinion of someone there (gemologist) and some images of the stones. We are talking about 6-6.2mm. What you see in images 3" in diameter doesn't always translate into something you can see visually. I personally prefer ACAs, but in this size range, getting more diameter may be more visually appealing than a smaller stone with slightly more perfect images. My daughter preferred the 1 ct Premium Select over a .90 ACA. He loses nothing checking it out.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I haven't posted on here in quite a while, but in my recent experience, I'd agree with DS and go for as much diameter as you can. I don't know how color sensitive you future fi is, but I had an .80 H at one time that was quite white enough for me. I'm sensitive past j on a case by case basis. I also lucked out on a .92 I with medium Fluor that faced up whiter than the H but has a great spread for weight at 6.3mm.

With that said, you might look at this. H, 6.25mm so visually almost a well cut carat and larger diameter than I have seen some people buy at the full carat mark at stores (buying deep, for weight) and at the top of your budget. The only thing better would be if you could get something a little bigger with Fluor to balance the color, like in the amazing I I recently turned in for upgrade. Good luck!

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3766240.htm

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
flying pig, I am not sure you know what a stone with painting looks like, because that one doesn't look like it at all to me.
Maybe I should have been more specific. Dug out girdle, hinted by excessive greens around the edges.

We are talking about 6-6.2mm. What you see in images 3" in diameter doesn't always translate into something you can see visually.
I agree that the greens does not always translate into "less brightness" or something you can see. The key word is "not always". In some lighting conditions, these green areas can be seen (sometimes in good ways, sometimes in bad ways, depending on the light quality of your low angular light)
In addition, that light leakage under the table is obvious even in the ASET with black background, which is actually good at masking minor leakages. Such leakage is not hard to spot in real life "as you learn how a diamond reflects light and play with the diamond"
Will these "flaws" matter? Will these distract viewing experience? Probably not. I think it is still a beautiful stone. 99% percent of the time, you will not know of these flaws. I am suggesting this ES stone can be 'differenciated" from ACA or other super ideal cut stones, if you look for it.

A Range Rover can be driven on some rough terrains. Can a normal driver tell its capability on a normal road? No. But when you really test it, the capability will be there.
Every component in a Rolex watch is highly polished. A normal owner will never see these components and the beauty unless she/he opens the watch and services it for himself/herself. But every Rolex owner knows that the watches are highly polished inside and outside, and appreciate the craftmanship in even areas you never see.

I apply the same logic to diamonds. Yes, it is 6.0mm~6.2mm. But you pay 5.0k for it. I think every detail (whether you can see or not) counts. Which details matter? Only the wearer knows

I am not against going for a larger diameter. I am suggesting there may be better cut stones out there.

I wouldn't have approved of it had we been able to see a visual difference..........My daughter preferred the 1 ct Premium Select over a .90 ACA
I 100% believe this. You probably help her picking the PS stone.

onezero

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your valuable insight.

I've spent a lot more time looking at the various suggestions and have decided to stick to a smaller sized but top performing stone
The money saved will go toward making the proposal a little more special... a very expensive restaurant or perhaps a short trip away.

Whiteflash are open again from tomorrow and I've asked them to pull these 4 stones for a first hand review:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=3653203,3766246,3766247,3737013

Two are ones that were previously suggested and I've added 2 others for good measure.

My thoughts on these four are:

0.83 H VS2 ACA:
Second biggest carat weight and spread but lowest color grade. I don't have an issue with a H though.

0.803 G VS1 ACA:
Smaller spread than the G VS2 but loses the table inclusion.

0.836 G VS2 ACA:
Biggest carat weight and great on all counts, except for the table inclusion. Still Eye-Clean though.

0.804 F VS2 Expert Selection:
A curveball stone...
F Color and ASET/Idealscope/H&A just as good as the other three stones and has almost the same spread as the 0.83 H VS2;
I don't understand why it's not an ACA? Is it just a little more hazy than the others? or is it cut too shallow? :think:

Instead of asking which is the best (because they're all great) I'd like to know which of these you wouldn't get, if any?

Thanks again, as always!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
onezero|1483412102|4111749 said:
A curveball stone...
F Color and ASET/Idealscope/H&A just as good as the other three stones and has almost the same spread as the 0.83 H VS2;
I don't understand why it's not an ACA? Is it just a little more hazy than the others? or is it cut too shallow? :think:
Thanks again, as always!
All proportion numbers are fine. Nothing that should contribute to any haziness.
Maybe because of a small degree of painted girdle?? I could be wrong.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
onezero said:

I've spent a lot more time looking at the various suggestions and have decided to stick to a smaller sized but top performing stone
The money saved will go toward making the proposal a little more special... a very expensive restaurant or perhaps a short trip away.

Whiteflash are open again from tomorrow and I've asked them to pull these 4 stones for a first hand review:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=3653203,3766246,3766247,3737013

Two are ones that were previously suggested and I've added 2 others for good measure.

My thoughts on these four are:

0.83 H VS2 ACA:
Second biggest carat weight and spread but lowest color grade. I don't have an issue with a H though.

0.803 G VS1 ACA:
Smaller spread than the G VS2 but loses the table inclusion.

0.836 G VS2 ACA:
Biggest carat weight and great on all counts, except for the table inclusion. Still Eye-Clean though.

A curveball stone...

Instead of asking which is the best (because they're all great) I'd like to know which of these you wouldn't get, if any?

Thanks again, as always!

I'm a newbie here, so take what I say with a grain (or scoop) of salt.

For my money, I'd rather have either the F/VS2 ES stone or the H/VS2 stone over the other two.

The proportions of all of them look good to me, but the table inclusion in the G/VS2 bugs me (even though as you have mentioned, it should be eye clean but once I see things like this magnified, I end up looking for them anyway post purchase).

The G/VS1 ACA doesn't make any sense to me given that the F/VS2 ES stone looks better to my eyes (on all the scope pics) and it is cheaper too.

If you're deadset on getting an ACA though, the H/VS2 ACA is probably still the best value for money in my eyes given that the H, G and F stones all look equally as white to me face up from the pics. Though it does have a white crystal under the table looking at the video which might bug me if I purchased it, but might not bother you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I really had to pick from the four, I would pick F VS2 depending on WFs answer why it is not ACA. Otherwise my choice is 0.83 G VS2

onezero

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the suggestions folks! Truly appreciated.

Both of those James Allen stones look beautiful too but I've spent such a long time back and forward with Whiteflash (only just got to the stone selection stage), I feel a sense of obligation to them.. they've been wonderful.

I'll let you know what they say after reviewing those stones.

onezero

Rough_Rock
onezero said:
Thanks for all the suggestions folks! Truly appreciated.

Both of those James Allen stones look beautiful too but I've spent such a long time back and forward with Whiteflash (only just got to the stone selection stage), I feel a sense of obligation to them.. they've been wonderful.

I'll let you know what they say after reviewing those stones.

Whiteflash advised that the F Color Expert Selection only just missed ACA grading due to an extremely tiny variation in one of the hearts and would be their choice over the H Color ACA... I've spent the last hour staring at the H&A images and I can't see what they're talking about so that's good enough for me!

I've ordered the stone (http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3737013.htm) along with a Ritani Halo setting.

Thanks everyone for your input and for the larger community... the information and tools available here take so much pain and uncertainty out of the process.

Best Wishes

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's going to be gorgeous! Please come back to show us!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results