shape
carat
color
clarity

Which one of these five Pear Shaped is the best?

ocaspen

Rough_Rock
I'm going to buy a pear shaped diamond and pair it with halo setting. I'm sticking with James Allen.
I have a strict budget of not going over $7,000 (for the diamond itself).
My search parameters are EX polish, EX symmetry, Table 55-60%, Depth 59-63%, None Fluorescence, Color H+, Clarity VS1+
This gives me 16 stones. Now they are narrowed down to 5 diamonds.
This is the link to these 5 diamonds. https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/?CaratFrom=0.7&CaratTo=&Color=M,L,K,J,I,H,G,F,E,D&PriceFrom=200&PriceTo=&ViewsOptions=List&TabSelected=3&DiamondID=1091685,2268642,2268439,2423027,2302813

My doubts on each one:
No. 1 Diamond
0.92ct D IF
GIA: 6177990090
Problem: below 1ct, which is kind of important to me

No. 2 Diamond
1ct E VVS1
GIA: 7221393126
Problem: just one pinpoint inclusion; the most expensive one of all; the ratio is 1.62 fall out of my preferred range 1.5-1.6; no crown and pavilion information

No. 3 Diamond
1.02 G IF
GIA: 6242583758
Problem: color a little warm, worrying if it is a milky/oily/brown stone; the most expensive out of 3 GIF

No. 4 Diamond
1.04 G IF
GIA: 6225685411
Problem: obvious bow tie pattern; no crown and pavilion information

No. 5 Diamond
1.06 G IF
GIA: 6235173470
Problem: obvious bow tie pattern; no crown and pavilion information

I used the D. Atlas website to test the cut grade score on No. 1 and No. 3, and they are both 1A. The rest lack crown %, which I don't know how to calculate, so I wouldn't be able to use D. Atlas. But it doesn't mean they are not 1A, does it?
My question is, how can I use table, depth, and angle information to determine if it's the best proportion?
Please offer your suggestions/comments. Anything will be appreciated!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Generally with a fancy cut you need to see it in person. They can all look good on paper, but might not please your eye; some have a bow tie, some have a crushed ice look about the tip. It's personal preference.

I have a pear cut solitaire & after seeing many stones that didn't float my boat, I knew this was my diamond as soon as it came out.

I will add that mine is a D colour, VS1 clarity & damn near perfect. In hindsight I would have gone to an F. I am super colour sensitive, but actually the difference is so minimal in going down through to F, I could have got a bigger carat weight for the money. I am quite OCD & enjoy that my diamond is perfect, but man.... I'd love it to be bigger than a 1.02!

View them. It's a must :wavey:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can not buy fancy cut stones (pears) by the numbers. There are just too many
variations in the cut. There are some obvious reasons to exclude stones (way shallow, way deep, etc).

Is there a reason you are so high on the clarity grade? Reason being is that it is difficult to find nice pears and you have
eliminated a large group of possibilities by not going down to VS2 (we even recommend eye-clean SI1s).

Of the ones you listed I think I like the .92 and the 1.02 G/IF the best. They are all very close though.

I think you should also consider this one. Hits the 9mm length and has a wide area of nice facets in the center.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.09-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-2287504
This one looks interesting too
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.00-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-2531912

When looking for nice pears you need to maximize the nice facets in the rounded end and look for nice clear deliniated facets
headed towards the pointed end as the stone moves. The further down towards the pointed end they go the better. Also,
the further they go up towards the top of the rounded end the better.

In the photo below, the yellow areas are the typical "mushy" areas of pears. You want the nice facets in the center to go as far
north to the rounded end and as far south to the pointed end as possible. When the stone rotates look for facets to come into
focus (clear, well defined outlines). The more of this type of faceting the better.

painted_one_nice_pear.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results