shape
carat
color
clarity

Which of these solitaires work best with this stone?

N3A2S1A

Rough_Rock
I was fortunate to be handed down a stone to get set for our engagement and was wondering if these two settings would work with this cut. I was told it is an old miners cut and I was directed by family not to buy online and to take it somewhere local to pick out a setting. Is this good advice? Or can I buy online and take to a local jeweler for the setting. Thanks in advance.

Round Brilliant cut
Measures : 6.9mmx4.4mm
Weight: 1.30cts
Color: J
Clarity: SI1

Also what are the differences in these two settings that make up the substantial price difference.
http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-jewelry/compare.aspx?idnos=4020,734

img_0116_0.jpg
img_0115.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Whiteflash setting is more of a Tiffany style with tiffany style prongs. Metal sort of comes up from two sides of the prong
to form the prong. The prongs are flat on the side of the stone. The Ritani setting is just a simple 6 prong setting with prongs
that sort of stick out on the sides of the stone. Not sure if what I have said really makes sense...hoping someone else can explain
it a little better.

I much more prefer the Tiffany style setting over the other setting.

Is your stone GIA/AGS graded? Here is the Whiteflash policy for setting outside stones...
Can I have a diamond I bought elsewhere set in a Whiteflash mounting?
Yes. Arrangements can be made to set your diamond provided it is certifed by AGS or GIA. We require proof of insurance and a signed waiver releasing Whiteflash from any liability. Customer diamonds can be set into Whiteflash catalogue items or settings from our designer's catalogues. (Whiteflash custom design projects are reserved for Whiteflash diamonds). For important details on this service please see our page on working with customers diamonds and jewelry.

I'm not sure if WF will just sell a setting and send it to you...you would need to ask.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Overall the WF setting looks to be heavier in metal (Platinum) which would equate to being more expensive.

In terms of design differences, the Ritani shank appears to narrow right below the center stone, and the WF setting is 2mm at the bottom of the shank and widens to 2.5mm width at the shoulders. The center stone seems to sit higher in the Ritani, and lower in the WF.

N3A2S1A

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply guys.

Does anyone think it would be an issue to buy the whiteflash and bring it to a reputable dealer to set it? I'm just worried about the OMC and a shop telling me they can't do it...

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Why not contact WF and see if you can snd the stone to them to set?

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Stuller is a large casting business in the USA, has a catalog online, and every jeweler in the USA can get a Stuller setting and probably has a paper catalog in the store. Paper is a lot more comfortable for me to look through than that Stuller web site, just saying. Adwar is another casting business. Either can get you a solitaire setting just like the Whiteflash one.

4 prongs might look better if your stone is rectangular. But you need 4 heavy prongs, not that stamped metal head like the 2 photos you showed. Those things bend, and a stone can easily slide out if just one prong gets knocked askance.

Few jewelers can do claw prongs well. I'd wager that almost no smaller jewelers have a bench that can do the exquisite claw prongs that you see on Pricescope rings. Some of them may have learned by now, but still probably very few. That said, something like the Stuller Octet done with claw prongs might be very flattering to your older diamond. Brian Gavin can do fantastic claws on that head, which is shown as a very chunky thing in the Stuller book. The attached is my ring, Octet head, Brian Gavin claws. But if you Google Octet, you'll see it with the chunky lopped-off prongs. These are the photos taken by Brian Gavin's shop before they sent the ring back to me. (This stone is 6.5 or 6.6mm round. I had them recut it. But the Octet is deep head with plenty of prong and could be manipulated for a more rectangular stone.)

_39075.jpg

_39076.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my favorite settings for old stones from Stuller is this one...several people on PS have it and like it. It's perfect for an
old stone plus has a little bit of personality.

See the 2nd-4th pictures on this thread...second page...
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-stuller-settings.212118/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-stuller-settings.212118/[/URL]

I cant seem to find it on the stuller site right now but I'm sure we can track it down if interested.

N3A2S1A

Rough_Rock
I was considering sending the stone to WF, but I I believe White Flash only sets certified diamonds. Getting the diamond certified is not something I'm familiar with. I'm a total noob here!

Really I just want to buy the WF Tiffany solitaire and get it set locally. Just worried that I Wouldn't be able to get it locally set...

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
N3A2S1A|1487617107|4131212 said:
I was considering sending the stone to WF, but I I believe White Flash only sets certified diamonds. Getting the diamond certified is not something I'm familiar with. I'm a total noob here!

Really I just want to buy the WF Tiffany solitaire and get it set locally. Just worried that I Wouldn't be able to get it locally set...

I would scout out a couple of places then, if that is the case, and just ask a general question...."I have a diamond I want to get put in another solitaire setting I have, how much would that run?"

Some places have quoted me a flat per carat fee in the past, and some have quoted me setting fee by the point, ie 100pts (1ct) =$200 (which I though was kind of high, but it's not something I do often enough to know how good or bad that price was....)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results