shape
carat
color
clarity

Which Marquise... stone 2 (out of 2)

Bob_uk

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

I've just got the images from the second stone, the final choice I have to make is between the 0.93 D IF shown here:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/marquise-advice-would-be-very-welcome-aset-sarin-is.153333/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/marquise-advice-would-be-very-welcome-aset-sarin-is.153333/[/URL]

and the 0.91 D IF shown below. Any input would be greatly welcome as its a pretty important puchase for me which I am having to do without phyically seeing the stone (I can always send it back but would rather avoid this as time is short):

I think I know which one I prefer but other opinions and views are very welcome. Thanks in advance!

Sarin_GIA1222583066.jpg

DI40XG_GIA1222583066.jpg

DI40X_GIA1222583066.jpg

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Did Whiteflash have an opinion?

Honestly, I think both are pretty. And D IF, wow. Lucky lady. Are they similar in price?

I think the first one is slightly bigger dimension-wise and doesn't look to have much of a bowtie issue. The images look good.

I prefer the look of the second one and the aset/idealscope images look better (*disclaimer: I am not an expert.) But, it definitely has a bowtie. I have one in the pear in my avatar and it doesn't bother me in the least. However, it is generally considered better to minimize this effect as much as possible.

What are your thoughts?

ETA: Out of curiosity, what are the polish/symmetry grades on these? For me, that might be another consideration, especially if I was looking at such a high pedigree stone. This second one has an amazing shape.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the 2nd one better.... it's a tad fatter ratio. And yes, it has a little bowtie - but did you look at the aset? I could just imagine if it had 8 arrows instead of just 2 arrows (because that's what a bow tie is - having only 2 arrows) wouldn't that be cool? bowties can produce some cool effects. I think they remain unpopular in *part* because BRILLIANCE was king in the 70's and 80's and fire was not as appreciated and those bowties do fire like crazy. and yeah, having two arrows breaking up the brilliance could irritate some people. I would take the 2nd one but for you I would recommend the first one.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I like the .93, simply because the bowtie (on the .91) would drive me batty. :loopy:

Edited slightly.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Second stone looks brighter than the first.
Ask WF how visible the bowtie is and how close you have to be to the stone to see it properly.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this one is noticeably nicer. Yes, it has a bowtie, but it is not huge, and it would not bother me at all.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Not a marquise expert by any stretch, but I prefer the ASET of this new one. More red, more symmetrical. The bowtie doesn't appear to be huge or ugly (in fact, it reminds me of the arrows on a H&A round).

Bob_uk

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies. Im pretty sure im going to go for the second stone, the 0.91 D IF. I'm a little unsure as to why people are so put off by the small shodows or "bow tie" in a marquise shaped stone, such as this one, but it is something sort after in a round stone. :confused:

This second example has Ideal Scope and ASET images that look close (well much closer than the first stone) to that of a hearts and arrows of an ideal cut round:

I would have thought that this would be a good thing????

images.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
I like the look of the .91 D IF more, esp. in the side-by-side comparison.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
not everyone likes the look of the arrows. Also, I have a SCHA with pear side stones, and the bowties on the pears are larger than the arrows on the SCHA (if that makes sense? so a larger portion of the stone looks dark, unlike the SCHA which to me is a pleasing contrast pattern)

I also prefer the 0.91 :)

Bob_uk

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input. I've gone for the 0.91, I havent had chance to see it yet but my jewller says its a nice one.

Thanks for all the help.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a theory why people don't like bowties... because not *too* far in the past people sought BRILLIANCE (white light return) over FIRE and wanted a totally uniformly white stone, even in rounds. Once the superidealists started perfecting their cutting strategies and were able to create perfectly uniform and balanced contrast, it was a hit. But in ovals and marquise there are only 2 arrows and not 8 and so in the mind it says well this isn't a H&A stone so throw out the arrows and bring on the brilliance. It's a default. And popular opinion is a powerful force. If a few people say its a bad thing, it becomes a flaw. There ARE people out there who like what those facets do, most are just not as vocal as I am. I just wish I had 4 nice "bow tie" facets! I would love to see pronounced arrows on an oval or marquise... if that were to happen those bowtie facets suddenly would become popular I'm sure.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the .91 better. Even if it does have a tad of a bow-tie. The arrows to me show that it tends to be a well cut
stone (IMO). There seem to be some odd faceting pattern in the .93 that I'm not sure I like. This may only show up
in still pictures and may not be an issue in real life.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results