shape
carat
color
clarity

Which has more hand presence...3 stone or halo?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know, I know, I am so indecisive! :oops: I need your help please!

I am planning on a new reset (poor DH!), either another 3 stone OR a very blingy halo (no micropave, it'll have larger melee). Which one has more hand presence in your opinion? Which one has more "blingpact?" I do like my 3 stone, but I sort of feel like with a 3 stone ring, all the stones blend into one big blob of sparkle. Do you know what I mean? That's the only reason why I'm torn. I've always adored a good halo, but now that I've had the two .50 side stones, would I find a halo lacking? Then again, I might find a halo would emphasize the center more.

The first pic is a pic of my current e-ring:

If I switch to a halo, it would be something really blingy like this BGD one below.

What are your thoughts? Thank you!! :)

DSCN1397-1.jpg

5358W18-2.jpg

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Hmm...I have both, though my halo center stone is a sapphire. I would say the halo is more subtle (but that's possibly b/c the center stone is non-diamond), but has more of an overall sparkliness to it. The 3 stone is more of an undifferentiated blob of diamond.

mogster

Shiny_Rock
I think you should get a 3-stone halo.

Best of both worlds. Problem solved. :)

Key-3stone-Halo.jpg

dyxdyx

Rough_Rock
I think this is entirely a matter of personal preference. Personally, I think the 3 stone setting would look nice if the center stone is significantly larger than the side stones. Are you keeping the center stone? Personally, I would prefer the halo setting for smaller stones.

But this is just my personal view. I think your ring looks nice :)

Good luck!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
What's the ring in your profile pix then? I prefer THAT one over any of the other options. To your question: a halo has more hand presence (in a bad way.)

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Depends on your definition of "blingpact", I guess.

I've owned both, and if you're looking for maximum sparkle/flash, I think the 3-stone delivers that much better impact than a halo. There are more tiny stones in a halo, but they don't give off the same kind of flashes. More twinkly but less bright, so to speak.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
aljdewey|1339704879|3216319 said:

I've owned both, and if you're looking for maximum sparkle/flash, I think the 3-stone delivers that much better impact than a halo. There are more tiny stones in a halo, but they don't give off the same kind of flashes. More twinkly but less bright, so to speak.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mogster|1339704214|3216305 said:

LOL, well that would definitely solve the finger coverage issue once and for all! :bigsmile: Pretty setting, do you know who makes it?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm with mogster - the 3 stone halo! Henri Daussi makes one similar... at least I've seen them on DBL by Henri Daussi!

I'm a 3stone gal, so that would get my vote over the halo. I like the wall of sparkle & fire as opposed to the halo but it's all about what YOU love! :praise:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll have to agree with the other ladies...a three stone would be my choice (no halo). I think you'd get tired of that halo ring you posted.

And I'll second what Deco said...is that a different 3 stone ring in your avatar? If you have that, then I am not sure about having two 3-stone rings with round stones.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, ladies!

The 3 stone ring in my avatar is an heirloom, my grandmother's OEC ring. The diamonds are really small, my e-ring stones are like twice the size. I don't wear it often; it's more of a sentimental piece.

mogster

Shiny_Rock
Laila619 said:
Pretty setting, do you know who makes it?

The one I posted is a Forevermark and I'm not sure if it comes as a semi-mount. I've seen a similar setting by Gabriel NY and also on the James Allen website.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1339709320|3216381 said:
Thanks, ladies!

The 3 stone ring in my avatar is an heirloom, my grandmother's OEC ring. The diamonds are really small, my e-ring stones are like twice the size. I don't wear it often; it's more of a sentimental piece.

Okay, well it is really pretty! So since it is really small and not worn daily, I don't think it has an affect on this decision, then.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't chose that BGD halo design personally. I really agree that you'd get tired of it.

I think three stones are the bomb (and that as a halo owner), personally.

But if you did do a halo I would recommend platinum and custom (which means you will have to shell out money for it). Knowing how you feel about spending money on settings, I don't think it's a good fit for you. If you cheap it out, you'll be unhappy again. And we'll be helping you get a three stone setting in a few months.

I would do 3 point melee for the halo and do a milgrain edge plain shank for the rest. I would expect it to cost about 4-5k to get it done right.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hmm, that's a good point. Bigger stones = bigger flashes.

I just wish it didn't blend together into one big blob.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1339711467|3216404 said:

Hmm, that's a good point. Bigger stones = bigger flashes.

I just wish it didn't blend together into one big blob.

Mine doesn't blend anymore. My first one did-- 1 point stones with single cuts. My 1/2 point full cuts are really just a frame for my stone though, especially with the way Steven set my center.

If you don't want a big blob, bigger melee in the halo is a BAD choice. There's a reason that style is called 'cluster'. Larger stones with larger flashes means more blending with the center. Smaller stones with small flashes mean more differentiation.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about a 3 stone with halo around the Center only. I think that would be pretty.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was just thinking the same thing as Gypsy, if you don't like that the 3 stones blend in together, a large halo is probably not going to solve that problem. If you want to emphasize your center stone, I'd go with a really delicate halo. I do think that a 3-stone will give you a more blingy look overall though.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I'm so happy that you started this thread. I'm about to embark on my custom piece too and went back and forth between three stone and halo. I decided on the halo, not because I thought that it would give more finger coverage or hand presence, but because it allowed me more freedom for the design. I realized too that the longer I searched for a three stone design that I really loved, the more bored I became of them. Overall I think they have more visual impact, but a well done halo gives you the real 'wow' factor. Can't wait to see which direction you go!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
The thing that I like about a stone is that I can easily stack blingy bands with it and change up the look. You can do it with a halo too, but not with the one you posted. Bands give my three stone major impact and I have both the big flashes and the twinkle.

If I were you, I wouldn't just think about blingpact, but what works with your life and your style. my 3 stone is very blingy, but it's also fairly simple from the face up view. A halo just seemed more "dressy" to me (which is kind of silly because diamonds in and of itself are kind of dressy!)

Now, have you WORN a halo before? There are tons of halo fakeys to be had out there. Before you make a decision, go and find one and see if you like the look.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, do you want a bigger shiny DOT on your hand, or a BAND of bling? That to me is the difference between the two (because I wouldn't get the BGD one posted too...it's not as versatile to mix up looks.)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd vote three stone. I think there are things you can do to make it less a blob of diamonds, separating the stones a little bit, semi bezel/bezels, etc.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think three-stones and halos are SOOOOO different, that you really need to wear fakeys of both styles for a bit to see which one you prefer.

A great three-stone has strong presence, but in a more subtle way than a halo. IMO, halos are more, "Look at me! Look at meeeeee! I will dazzle you with my blinding blinginess! It's great, isn't it? All this bling? Don't you love it????" and three-stones are more, "Why, yes I am beautiful. How kind of you to notice. What's that you say? My proportions? Indeed, they're stunning, aren't they?" Not sure if that makes sense, but that's what these two styles say to me. :cheeky:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1339715311|3216462 said:
I think three-stones and halos are SOOOOO different, that you really need to wear fakeys of both styles for a bit to see which one you prefer.

A great three-stone has strong presence, but in a more subtle way than a halo. IMO, halos are more, "Look at me! Look at meeeeee! I will dazzle you with my blinding blinginess! It's great, isn't it? All this bling? Don't you love it????" and three-stones are more, "Why, yes I am beautiful. How kind of you to notice. What's that you say? My proportions? Indeed, they're stunning, aren't they?" Not sure if that makes sense, but that's what these two styles say to me. :cheeky:

Ah, I love a good English major. ;))

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1339715490|3216466 said:

What do you mean? Doesn't everyone think in terms of dialogue and characterization? :cheeky:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1339715490|3216466 said:

So true! :))

moaks

Rough_Rock
mogster|1339704214|3216305 said:

I think a three stone is a very classic look. However that being said I really like certain halos. I like this version of the three stone halo, but I think that the style of halo you are talking about might be too much in a not so good way, where your center stone will get lost in all the little sparkles around it. What about something like this one?

Halo1.jpg

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I vote three stone. Classic, wears well with anything and can have meaning(3 kids or hubby you and one kid or past present future). I'm not a fan of halo rings, to me, it's just a diamond who wishes it was bigger. Gemstones in halos look great because you can see the diamonds accenting the color of the gem but a diamond halo with diamond in the center make me feel like it's a fancy a cluster ring.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
makemepretty|1339719912|3216504 said:
I vote three stone. Classic, wears well with anything and can have meaning(3 kids or hubby you and one kid or past present future). I'm not a fan of halo rings, to me, it's just a diamond who wishes it was bigger. Gemstones in halos look great because you can see the diamonds accenting the color of the gem but a diamond halo with diamond in the center make me feel like it's a fancy a cluster ring.

Well a halo can symbolize the Duggars.... :devil:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
"Look at me! Look at meeeeee! I will dazzle you with my blinding blinginess! It's great, isn't it? All this bling? Don't you love it????" and three-stones are more, "Why, yes I am beautiful. How kind of you to notice. What's that you say? My proportions? Indeed, they're stunning, aren't they?" Not sure if that makes sense, but that's what these two styles say to me. :cheeky:

Haven, I love this!!! I think I belong in your club where inanimate objects talk, because I TOTALLY get what you are saying there! I'm still voting for a 3 stone for you, Laila, because I love what the diamonds are saying above! Which person are you in your 'real life' - are you a halo or a 3 stone? Are you a LOOK AT ME or a How kind of you to notice...?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results