shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to Buy a Loupe

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jan can

Shiny_Rock
The diamond I''ve ordered is laser inscribed. I''d like to be able to read it after those times I take it to a jewellers to be cleaned, etc. I''ve looked on ebay for a 20X loupe. How much should I be expecting to pay for this? The prices seem low but perhaps the cost for a non-professional loupe shouldn''t be much. Any help.

I''m in Canada but am often in Las Vegas. That would be the other option of dropping into a store there.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How big is your diamond? A 10x is enough to see inscriptions on larger diamonds, or those w/ thicker girdles

try here:
http://www.datlas.com/tools.htm

sdevante

Rough_Rock
If you''d bought the diamond from GoodOldGold, it would have included a loupe. ;-)

Hopefully someone comes along with something more productive than this.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As someone has already told you, we do offer 10x, 20x and 30x inexpensive yet quality loupes on the datlas.com site. Most inscriptions can be read with 20x although this week I had one from one of the Pricescope vendors that needed every bit of 30x to read. This inscription was unusually tiny as the girdle was "thin".

You can find many loupes on Amazon or Ebay, too. It up to you, of course.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can read my inscriptions with my 10x loupe.
It takes a while to get the light just right though, and it is a Harald Schneider loupe so I believe the better optics help.

Also technique is a factor.
I used to teach people how to use microscopes at work to reduce eye strain and see better.

15x binoculars are priced from $20 to $3000.
There is a legitimate reason one costs more, same thing with loupes.

Magnification and resolution are two very different things.

jan can

Shiny_Rock
Seems I can get an 30x loupe on ebay for ~$10 delivered. I think I''ll order one of these and if it does the job of reading the inscription about once per year, I''d be happy. It''s not much of a loss if it doesn''t work at which point I''ll invest in a better quality one.

If I were going to be travelling to interesting locations with the hope of buying jewellery, I''d invest in a better quality loupe. Perhaps that day will happen sometime.

How many people have their own loupe?

tonyc2387

Shiny_Rock
I recently got this set from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C9LG60

Now... I totally expected to get what I paid for (which is to say, not much) but I was pleasantly surprised. I was able to pick out the inscription on my .836ct using the 30x, though with some difficulty... which could probably be explained by my general inexperience, and poor technique, with loupes. But... for $6, I''m definitely happy with the set.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results