shape
carat
color
clarity

When someone embellishes about the size of their diamond...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guys... *sigh* Where do I even begin with this??

WARNING: LONG STORY INVOLVING FAMILY AHEAD -- BE PREPARED. :errrr: :lol:

I would like to know your opinion about those individuals who lie about the size of their diamond. So, here is what transpired this past weekend...

DH was hanging out with his sister (I was at running a quick errand) when he casually asked my SIL about her jewelry insurance, who they were with, type of coverage, etc... She proceeds to tell him and he agreed that it sounded like the same type of coverage we have on my ring. He asked if she had both pieces insured (her ering is a 1.5ct solitaire and she was gifted a 2 ct solitaire pendant from her groom on their wedding day). She said that they only had her engagement ring insured.

Understandably, DH was sort of confused and gave her a blank stare, then asked her why in the world she would have her ering insured, but not her necklace (since it would obviously cost a lot more to replace)... She told him that her pendant was "right at 2 ct", but her ering "was 2.5ct." Wait a minute... WHAT??!! :confused: :-o Now, we have always known she tends to be a "one-upper," but this was just so ridiculous that the hubbs waited until after she left to let me in on her "newly enlarged diamond." :rolleyes: My husband is not jewelry enthusiast at all, but he knows that my diamond is not even a 2.5 (it's just shy at 2.43), but is clearly much larger than hers. I can almost see someone fibbing a little and saying a 1.5 was like 1.8 or so since it wouldn't so obviously be a lie... but to add an entire carat when it's 1.5 to begin with?? :|

Why would someone so blatantly lie about something so obvious (esp to her brother, who couldn't care less)??? We have laughed and joked about this for days! :lol: Of course we both know better... Did she assume we'd just believe her?.. guess she forgot that the entire family had to listen to a big production about how great her ring was, that it was a family stone and that it was 1.5 ct (and she was so soooo happy about the size then)! My DH proposed about 3 weeks after, but would never be so tacky to mention money or size of my stone... For the record, as much as it would thrill my soul to call her on it, she is family and I would never be mean like that anyway... but oh, wouldn't it be fun!! :Up_to_something: :naughty: :lol: I guess it just really bothers me whenever someone thinks they are putting something over on me when I know better -- and they do as well. ::)

Now, we all know this is just crazy talk, and there is no way she's gonna put anything over on anyone who halfway knows anything about jewelry... my question is about the psychology of it all. We are just dumbfounded! I'm interested to hear your thoughts regarding this or if some of you have experienced something similar. What did you do? How did you handle it?

Thanks in advance for weighing in, and thanks for making it through my rant, err... I mean my long post. ;))

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Re: When someone embellishes about the size of their diamond

To be honest, I guess that I wouldn't put too much thought into it at all. You can't be 100% certain that you know the exact size of her diamond. If you know that she embellishes from time to time, then just take the ring discussion for what it's worth and move on with life (at least, that's what I would do) :)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd fergetaboutit.
This isn't worth your time.
People just vary.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Chat about it here if you want, but ignore it in real life. It doesn't affect you in any way, so *meh.*

Maybe she honestly got confused. Maybe she's pregnant and the hormonal change is affecting her memory. :wink2:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy|1378755881|3517382 said:
To be honest, I guess that I wouldn't put too much thought into it at all. You can't be 100% certain that you know the exact size of her diamond. If you know that she embellishes from time to time, then just take the ring discussion for what it's worth and move on with life (at least, that's what I would do) :)

Although I don't know the exact carat weight, she and her fiance said it was 1.5ct and that's what it looks to be... but yes, she does like to play the "one-up" game -- just never this blatantly bad. HA! :lol:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

VRBeauty|1378756965|3517397 said:
Chat about it here if you want, but ignore it in real life. It doesn't affect you in any way, so *meh.*

Maybe she honestly got confused. Maybe she's pregnant and the hormonal change is affecting her memory. :wink2:

Oh, I would NEVER say anything to anyone except the hubbs for a laugh! "Confused"... that's a theory. ;)) I wish it was the case, but I know she's just lying, for whatever reason we'll never know! :bigsmile: "Pregnant"... let's hope not! LOL

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Maybe she got a new grading report from EGL. :lol:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I'd been about to ask if hers was a fancy cut - if it was a cushion or an OMC or something, it actually could face up much smaller than a round. But if you know for a fact that it's 1.5 because she told you herself ... yeesh, I have no idea. Maybe she's absolutely dreadful with numbers?

P.S. - No, I've never seen anybody backtrack in hopes those around them wouldn't remember. I have seen people just be absolutely, positively, 100% off-base in what they genuinely believed about their jewelry, either because somebody told them so (a salesperson, a fiance wanting to make things sound good), or because they love their stone, they know "good" stones are, like, D flawless, so, therefore, their stone must be that kind ... despite the generous shaking of pepper it may have received at the hand of god.

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Well, she must think that your ring is like, 5 carats :)

MomInstyle

Shiny_Rock

I still could not get the fact that she is not insuring her 2ct pendant. Is her pendant solitaire? or 2ctw? Here is another theory..... perhaps she pendant is not real diamond so to cover up she has to cover up adding for embellishments.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ericad|1378757406|3517404 said:
Does her ring have any side stones? Perhaps she was referencing total carat weight?

:)

No, it's a solitaire. :|

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1378757523|3517407 said:
Maybe she got a new grading report from EGL. :lol:

That's it, kenny!!! BWAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bgray

Brilliant_Rock

I honestly dont know why you care.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Circe|1378757642|3517409 said:
I'd been about to ask if hers was a fancy cut - if it was a cushion or an OMC or something, it actually could face up much smaller than a round. But if you know for a fact that it's 1.5 because she told you herself ... yeesh, I have no idea. Maybe she's absolutely dreadful with numbers?

P.S. - No, I've never seen anybody backtrack in hopes those around them wouldn't remember. I have seen people just be absolutely, positively, 100% off-base in what they genuinely believed about their jewelry, either because somebody told them so (a salesperson, a fiance wanting to make things sound good), or because they love their stone, they know "good" stones are, like, D flawless, so, therefore, their stone must be that kind ... despite the generous shaking of pepper it may have received at the hand of god.

^^ this is hilarious!! ^^ :lol:

No, it's actually a MRB (it was his mom's first ring from the early 80s...) -- I actually told my DH she was confused, and he was like, "NO! I straight up asked her if it was for both the ering and pendant, and she said just the ering!" Good grief this chick is something else! :lol:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bgray|1378758844|3517429 said:

I am fascinated by the fact that someone so close to us would blatantly lie when she knows how much I enjoy all things diamond :bigsmile: -- and since she and her fiance made the big production in front of the family regarding the history of the stone and his band (his grandfathers)... :rolleyes:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

She should be ashamed of herself. :nono:

BTW, have you seen the 15.1-carat Octavia I recently bought? :Up_to_something:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1378760238|3517441 said:
She should be ashamed of herself. :nono:

BTW, have you seen the 15.1-carat Octavia I recently bought? :Up_to_something:

OMG, no!!! Please please PLEASE post a link!!!!! **how in the world could I have missed this??!! :love: :appl: :love: :appl: :love:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Blue-Seeker|1378764168|3517474 said:
+1

Written by bgray » 09 Sep 2013 14:34:I honestly dont know why you care.

I am fascinated by the fact that someone so close to us would blatantly lie when she knows how much I enjoy all things diamond -- and since she and her fiance made the big production in front of the family regarding the history of the stone and his band (his grandfathers)...

^^ ...I'm assuming you hadn't read this, so here it is... again. ^^ :|

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd assume she made a mistake or has changed her ring since it was first bought. We all forget things that we once considered to be important and without the paperwork in front of her she probably just slipped up. Shrug, happens.

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock

msop04|1378764757|3517485 said:
+1

I am fascinated by the fact that someone so close to us would blatantly lie when she knows how much I enjoy all things diamond -- and since she and her fiance made the big production in front of the family regarding the history of the stone and his band (his grandfathers)...

I did read your response. I still don't know why you care. Furthermore, why do you feel the need to gloat about this? I'm sorry, but your reaction to her just seems a bit dramatic. And, from my experience, criticizing a loved one's family members, even about something as trivial as this, usually backfires. Your DH may laugh with you now, but he is likely to resent you for this if you keep it up.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rhea|1378766291|3517497 said:
I'd assume she made a mistake or has changed her ring since it was first bought. We all forget things that we once considered to be important and without the paperwork in front of her she probably just slipped up. Shrug, happens.

She most definitely has NOT changed her ring. I saw her this weekend and it's the same one. ::)

She has said before that she would never change it since it's a family stone. What I don't understand is how someone can add an extra carat to their stone... the fact is she didn't forget or get confused. She straight up lied, was given the chance to correct herself, and lied again.

My question is not about the carat weight of her ring -- I know what it is anyway (or at least from what she's said ad nauseum and I've seen the ring a million times...) -- I don't get why she would do this knowing that I study diamonds as a hobby, and she also knows what a 2.5 looks like (my ring)... so she would have to know that hers could never even pass for a 2, much less a 2.5, right??? So why the song and dance?? It just baffles me. :| :roll: :???: :lol: :nono:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04|1378767390|3517503 said:
I don't get why she would do this knowing that I study diamonds as a hobby, and she also knows what a 2.5 looks like (my ring)... so she would have to know that hers could never even pass for a 2, much less a 2.5, right??? So why the song and dance?? It just baffles me.

I suspect she just knew it would rattle your chain, precisely because you take diamonds so seriously.
Perhaps she's just saying, 'Lighten up.'
Solution: Don't leave your chain hanging out.

It sounds like this is more about you than her.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Blue-Seeker|1378767294|3517502 said:
I did read your response. I still don't know why you care. Furthermore, why do you feel the need to gloat about this? I'm sorry, but your reaction to her just seems a bit dramatic. And, from my experience, criticizing a loved one's family members, even about something as trivial as this, usually backfires. Your DH may laugh with you now, but he is likely to resent you for this if you keep it up.

Gloat?? Ummm... don't exactly know where you got this, but I have nothing to gloat about -- it hurt our feelings that someone we both care for would lie to us about her dang ring. And sorry if I seem dramatic, but that's certainly not what I'm feeling. Also, I would never criticize her unfairly, nor would I ever confront her, leading to her embarassment.

As far as my DH, you know absolutely nothing about him or our relationship. He was genuinely concerned by how stuck-up and unlike herself she has been acting since being with her now-husband. They come from a very humble, lovely family and were not raised to act this way. This totally caught him off-guard and he told me when he didn't have to at all. I have no idea how you can say that he'll resent me... after all, I'm not the one who feels the need to embellish about my possessions -- he is disgusted by the person she is becoming.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gloat?? Ummm... don't exactly know where you got this, but I have nothing to gloat about -- it hurt our feelings that someone we both care for would lie to us about her dang ring. And sorry if I seem dramatic, but that's certainly not what I'm feeling. Also, I would never criticize her unfairly, nor would I ever confront her, leading to her embarassment.

As far as my DH, you know absolutely nothing about him or our relationship. He was genuinely concerned by how stuck-up and unlike herself she has been acting since being with her now-husband. They come from a very humble, lovely family and were not raised to act this way. This totally caught him off-guard and he told me when he didn't have to at all. I have no idea how you can say that he'll resent me... after all, I'm not the one who feels the need to embellish about my possessions -- he is disgusted by the person she is becoming.

EDIT: Oops! Double clicked!! Sorry!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04|1378759307|3517437 said:

I am fascinated by the fact that someone so close to us would blatantly lie when she knows how much I enjoy all things diamond :bigsmile: -- and since she and her fiance made the big production in front of the family regarding the history of the stone and his band (his grandfathers)... :rolleyes:

DH and I would do the same thing- laugh about it. WHY lie? What's wrong with 1.5 carats? I know people like that. Who lie in big groups KNOWING that you are standing there and know the truth. Histrionic personality disorder. :roll:

So funny you wrote about this. Tonite at soccer one of my friends noticed my new ring. She totally flipped over it and asked SO loud, in front of EVERYONE "that is HUGE! Is that THREE carats?" I totally could have lied. But I said "No, it's two. I just have really small fingers." :lol: :lol: :lol:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think she blurted it out b/c there's something fishy about that 2 ctw necklace - right????? It's a 2 ctw solitaire and not insured? Then, it's probably not a diamond, right? So, to make it make sense that she only insured the ring she panicked and lied. Really, I'm just glad the ring IS insured. A friend of mine ran and errand this summer and came back to find $30K of jewelry gone - ugh!!!!! I agree - just let it go!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04|1378764757|3517485 said:
+1

Ok, I think YOU are getting a little dramatic. :lol: :lol: You don't know her husband. I am sure he's laughing with her. You sound like you may have some family issues going on, don't project them onto others. She came here to vent, and to tell a funny story. Don't read more into it. :roll:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1378767780|3517505 said:
msop04|1378767390|3517503 said:
I don't get why she would do this knowing that I study diamonds as a hobby, and she also knows what a 2.5 looks like (my ring)... so she would have to know that hers could never even pass for a 2, much less a 2.5, right??? So why the song and dance?? It just baffles me.

I suspect she just knew it would rattle your chain, precisely because you take diamonds so seriously.
Perhaps she's just saying, 'Lighten up.'
Solution: Don't leave your chain hanging out.

It sounds like this is more about you than her.

Again, do you KNOW this woman? Now you "suspect" she is reacting to someone you don't even KNOW? I would presume msop knows her better than you? These comments are completely nuts. A few of you are jumping ALL over her and making assumptions which are WAY out in left field. Don't even comment if what she said bothers you..... :roll:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results