shape
carat
color
clarity

What's your fave MC2/other organic nature inspired settings?

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
I've kind of fallen in love (again) with almost ever single one of McTeigue & McClelland designs. I cannot stop looking at them. I can't put my finger on it, but I think that there's something I really love about the way that they incorporate a natural/floral/organic feel to their settings. I think some designers attempt to do this but it comes out a bit quirky or cheesy/costume jewelery looking. Do you guys know any other designers who do similar things or even other creative looks in such a nice and clean way? please please show me! I don't care if the look is directly incorporated into the structure of the ring or if it's just incorporated in delicate engravings.

Here MC2s main gallery link: http://www.mc2jewels.com/gallery/Rings?page=1
Here are some of my faves

OH M G
1152b.sized.jpg 8455c.sized.jpg
Be still my heart
MCII9_23_03244.sized.jpg31806sapphire_330.sized.jpg27_G.jpg
This is what I mean by delicate engravings, especially the ones around the center stone
DSC_0033.sized.jpg MCII9_23_03232.sized.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: What's your fave MC2/other organic nature inspired setti

I greatly appreciate the artistic beauty of the first few rings, but I personally love the last two more antique style rings! Love the engraving on that oval bezel and the last one is so simple and elegant!

slg47

Ideal_Rock

the first one you posted :love: :love:

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock

slg47|1296944758|2844294 said:
the first one you posted :love: :love:

I know, right? how was that made? it's soooo neat looking.

I need more creative things to look at to really figure out the look that I like. I can't explain it well, calling it "organic" or "natural" does not do it justice. I am basically trying to figure out a way to take a delicate setting like this one: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tenth-anniversary-upgrade-3ct-round-with-cushion-halo.149734/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tenth-anniversary-upgrade-3ct-round-with-cushion-halo.149734/[/URL] and make sure that the basket is not wide/deep like that, but prong set (upside down pyramid with doughnut) and somehow incorporate some sort of engraving or SOMETHING to it that's a lil floral/natural/I don't know what word to use. I just want it to have some feral elements. I am not making any sense.

If anyone knows of settings/desingers who take a more creative/unique approach that incorporates the crazy things I mentioned above... Please let me know!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

There have been rings posted on here by Greenlake that would sort of fit your description, but their site doesn't have great pictures, IMO.

I am not 100% sure what you want because you sound like you want an antique style with engraving, yet I don't consider that organic really!

http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/default.aspx

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock

I think McII has it all. The designs are fantastic, there is a sense of whimsey and the bench people they employ are truly artists. I have posted this before but they take over 40 hours to produce one flora setting. They employ old or lost techniques. They "bloom" their gold, first started with victorian jewelry, dip it in aqua regina to burn off impurities which only leaves pure gold on the top of the ring. As you can tell I love them and love their design and wish, wish, wish I had the 14,000 dollars to buy one.

I am with you sister, on the :love: for McII!!!!

stci

Ideal_Rock

I like the first one without the surprise diamond. Why they place this diamond? Strange taste...

My fav is the oval. To die for.... :love: :love:

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock

It's not a ring setting, but I love the honeycomb bracelet in their gallery.

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock

Treenbean|1296950137|2844365 said:
I think McII has it all. The designs are fantastic, there is a sense of whimsey and the bench people they employ are truly artists. I have posted this before but they take over 40 hours to produce one flora setting. They employ old or lost techniques. They "bloom" their gold, first started with victorian jewelry, dip it in aqua regina to burn off impurities which only leaves pure gold on the top of the ring. As you can tell I love them and love their design and wish, wish, wish I had the 14,000 dollars to buy one.

I am with you sister, on the :love: for McII!!!!

I don't even know what all that means but it sounds amazzzzingggg. Whimsical is a perfect way to describe it. I love love love love it.

katushka

Rough_Rock

MC2 is my favorite "aspirational" jeweler so I was happy to see this post! I love the first ring you posted and all its variations, including this "Open Flora" that's on their facebook wall. I am considering this setting for my 1.6 avc since its a similar proportion to the featured stone but I'm not sure I can pull the trigger on a setting that costs half as much (2/3rds??) as the rock itself! For sheer craftsmanship, I love the various sapphire rings with pear sidestones....

flora.jpg

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1296948658|2844340 said:
There have been rings posted on here by Greenlake that would sort of fit your description, but their site doesn't have great pictures, IMO.

I am not 100% sure what you want because you sound like you want an antique style with engraving, yet I don't consider that organic really!

http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/default.aspx

yeah... the thing is I am already pretty sure who I am going to use to design my ring. Right now I am just looking for some inspiration on what exactly I want. I'm also trying to decide if I want to use my cushion or buy a blue sapphire to set for my engagement ring. oh wow. indecisiveness and chaos galore.

katushka

Rough_Rock

here are the sapphires...

mc2 sapphires.png

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock

katushka|1296973599|2844622 said:
here are the sapphires...

eeeppp!!! it's just such interesting design. This one is not really my style, because I think the prongs look a lil funny. It's still beautiful maybe for a RHR

This on the other hand would make me feel whimsical fairy like :lickout:

10505MCII_025.sized.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock

CherryBlossom,

Thank you! You've given me an idea. I'm now thinking of handing my diamond over to them. I know that it will be set with care, and even more, positivity (these are good people). Thank you!

Btw, here's their honeycomb bangle:
http://www.mc2jewels.com/gallery/McII-Bracelets/33106MCII_44

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock

CherryBlossom|1296973564|2844619 said:
yeah... the thing is I am already pretty sure who I am going to use to design my ring. Right now I am just looking for some inspiration on what exactly I want. I'm also trying to decide if I want to use my cushion or buy a blue sapphire to set for my engagement ring. oh wow. indecisiveness and chaos galore.

But it's exciting, isn't it?

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock

Harriet|1297009889|2844808 said:
CherryBlossom,
Thank you! You've given me an idea. I'm now thinking of handing my diamond over to them. I know that it will be set with care, and even more, positivity (these are good people). Thank you!
Btw, here's their honeycomb bangle:
http://www.mc2jewels.com/gallery/McII-Bracelets/33106MCII_44
Oh realllyyyyy?? your wedding set?? that's so awesome & exciting! I don't think that I have ever seen a MC2 ring on PS, I'll have to go in the search engine & check.I do not think that you will not be disappointed. I have only seen their pieces in two shops here in CA but it BLEW me away. It's unlike anything that I have seen before. Honestly. Their pieces are classic, timeless, with a touch of creative expression that's not easy to duplicate. I know I mentioned in the other thread, but I think that jewelery - especially sentimental pieces that are meant to be worn for life and passed on as heirloom pieces - are so special, and the hands that touch/create them are a part of that process. So when it comes to these things I like to get to know the designer. There are so many skills that are no longer used, like the style that MC2 uses (mentioned above by someone else) It's SO important to support these techniques with the way we spend our $$, or they are just going to be lost forever. I am VERY big on that. It's a piece of art, and we either support artisans creating exceptional pieces or we end up with a whole bunch of look alike jewelery that's mass produced and marketed to the consumer.

I also appreciate MC2s work when it comes contributing something back to society. While I was researching them, I came across a lot of things stating that they have been known to support various educational art programs for inner city youth, and recently they did this: http://www.luxist.com/2009/11/16/mcteigue-and-mcclelland-designs-necklace-to-help-afghan-children/

I am pretty sure that I have picked the guy whose going to design and create my ring, now I just have to make sure that I figure out what I want because I don't want to drive him nuts. I spazz out before the project, so I don't need to micromanage anything once we get started. I was heavily leaning towards my cushion, but after trying on some really well made sapphire engagement rings... I think they have stolen my heart. But I just want to make sure that I can live with it for a lifetime, because I am totally clueless when it comes to gemstones. I honestly feel bad for my fiance and everyone who has to deal w/ any aspect of my engagement ring endeavor :mrgreen:

P.S that honeycomb bangle is soooo awesome. One day I will own a few of their pieces, I know it! PLEASE PLEASE keep me/us updated on your ring adventure w/ them from start to end. I am VERY interested!!!

bgray

Brilliant_Rock

cherryblossom: I have worked with them and they are the most professional I have ever worked with. I have had projects done by Leon, James Allen, Whiteflash etc and Mctiegue is simply the best for quality and service.

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock

bgray|1297019140|2844911 said:
cherryblossom: I have worked with them and they are the most professional I have ever worked with. I have had projects done by Leon, James Allen, Whiteflash etc and Mctiegue is simply the best for quality and service.

Awww that's great to know and I'm sure it's very assuring to Harriet. Have you already posted the pieces that you have from them? post them here!

Lula

Ideal_Rock

MC2 are my favorite designers. I love their work, and there is no question that it is hand-made, using traditional methods. I think their work is spectacular not only because it is so beautifully crafted, but also because their designs are classic, yet not stuffy.

CherryBlossum, I agree with you that supporting this type of craftsmanship with our $$$ ensures that it will be available for future generations. When I can afford it, I would love to have them set a colored gemstone in one of their floral designs.

I'm so happy to hear that you and Harriett are considering commissioning pieces from them :appl: :appl: :appl:

bgray, please post your piece(s) if you feel comfortable doing so -- I'd love seeing more photos of their work!

This one has always been one of my favorites http://www.mc2jewels.com/gallery/Rings/1016b

ETA: I just found this one -- http://www.mc2jewels.com/gallery/Rings/4071Mb Wow -- look at the beautiful "layers" of gold! And the tiny "petals" around the small diamonds! I wish they'd give the carat weight of the center stones to make it easier to judge proportions and size.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock

I witnessed their goodheartedness today. There's a new book out on spinels. The author wanted to give them a copy, but they paid for it because part of the proceeds are going to a good cause.

And, ... they will be making my wedding set! :) I asked for something "unique." Tim jokingly replied "What?! Is the Flora setting not unique enough? Do you know how long I've been working on it? Each piece is a variation." I'd still like a solitaire, so he'll be making me one with a to-be-determined twist.

Here is a pair of earrings I have from them:
http://www.mc2jewels.com/gallery/McTeigue-McClelland-Earrings/4067M

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock

Harriet|1297049504|2845314 said:
I witnessed their goodheartedness today. There's a new book out on spinels. The author wanted to give them a copy, but they paid for it because part of the proceeds are going to a good cause.

And, ... they will be making my wedding set! :) I asked for something "unique." Tim jokingly replied "What?! Is the Flora setting not unique enough? Do you know how long I've been working on it? Each piece is a variation." I'd still like a solitaire, so he'll be making me one with a to-be-determined twist.

oh wow. look at those earrings. wow wow wow wowowwowowowowowow

I love their daisy flower ring too. So much fun.

Oh YAY congrats on picking them to do your ring!! what a great project! I am almost as excited to see your ring as I am my own. haha.

Today I spent the day in limbo chaos. Diamond cushion or blue sapphire oval/cushion? what to do what to do what to do. I just think there's sooo many lab/synthetic sapphire's that I don't want mine to look all cheesy weird. I also know nothing about sapphire's so it's strange venturing in that arena. But I do love how it looks it on my finger. How about I figure out a way to get BOTH!

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock

Lula|1297027769|2845059 said:
I'm so happy to hear that you and Harriett are considering commissioning pieces from them :appl: :appl: :appl:

Oh we'll leave the commissioning work to Harriett, I cannot afford their pieces... yet! but I am going with another up and coming designer who does amazing detailed work. I have complete faith in him being able to create my piece, now I just have to figure out what I actually want for my e-ring. grrrrrrrrr!!!

Lula|1297027769|2845059 said:
ETA: I just found this one -- http://www.mc2jewels.com/gallery/Rings/4071Mb Wow -- look at the beautiful "layers" of gold! And the tiny "petals" around the small diamonds! I wish they'd give the carat weight of the center stones to make it easier to judge proportions and size.

GRRRRR nooooo! you should NOT have shown me that! just yesterday I saw a yellow gold piece w/ sapphire in it and I <3 it. I had not even considered yellow gold w/ sapphire. what to do what to do.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock

Harriet|1297049504|2845314 said:

:o ACCCKKKKK *heart attack*

Those are marvelous. Marvelous, marvelous.

OP to answer your question, all of them they are my favorite ever. When I first started looking for rings, long long ago, I ripped out a pic of the flora ring. I didn't know who made it.

Now years later I do, but I can't afford any of them. ;(

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock

CherryBlossom and Lula,
You guys are right about supporting artisans who practise old techniques. I'd never thought of that before.

CherryBlossom (again) and Petrock,
Thanks!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock

You might get a laugh out of this. I put that bangle on my Christmas wishlist. Hubby asked how many ounces of gold it contains and decided that it cost too much above spot! D'uh, there's craftsmanship involved. Men!

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock

Harriet|1297091130|2845542 said:
You might get a laugh out of this. I put that bangle on my Christmas wishlist. Hubby asked how many ounces of gold it contains and decided that it cost too much above spot! D'uh, there's craftsmanship involved. Men!

Harriet, are you still there w/ them? would you mind finding if they have any 22/23 k gold pieces?

WallyWatkins

Rough_Rock

Hi Harriet!
This is my first post on price scope, although I've been lurking for a while :tongue:. I had to post when I saw the MC2 thread! I have also been thinking of working with MC2 on my engagement ring! Did you e-mail them to contact or call? My fiance and I e-mailed last week, but have not yet had a reply. I'm so anxious waiting to hear back from them! Congratulations and can't wait to see it!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results