shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s wrong with this new AGS000 from BN?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SnakeEyes111

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I just came across this suspiciously well priced RB at Blue Nile and am wondering if there's a reason that this stone appears to be priced significantly below the prices I am finding elsewhere on Pricescope. It is a NEW AGS000 RB, 1.21ct., I, SI2 (confirmed eye-clean by BN), 62.1 depth, 55.7table, 34.9 ca, 40.9pa. Fluo: strong blue. The dimensions are 6.80-6.84 x 4.24mm. The HCA score is 1.9. The price is $4,421!!!

I realize that it is slightly deep and has strong blue fluo but it also comes with a NEW AGS000 report with DQD and an excellent HCA score -- what am I missing? I thought that BN's prices were usually higher than those found at other online retailers? The Pricescope prices for similar diamonds seem at least 10% higher in this case.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
SnakeEyes111, welcome.

there is nothing wrong with the numbers of your stones except perhaps strong fluorescence wich actually can be beneficial for I color (you just have to make sure the stone doesn''t look milky in the daylight).

Where did you get this price though? On Blue Nile the stone is listed for $4,652 (or $4,582.22 with bank wire): http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00919924

SnakeEyes111

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Leonid! BN's wire price is actually $4,582.22 (listed on the website) minus the additional 3.5% off for going to BN through Fatwallet. This final price appears at least $600 lower than that found at other PS vendors for similar stones! This is the reason that I'm so confused here.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
the strong blue fluor could be dropping the price as jewelers typically discount for the fluor....i don''t know that PS vendors typically would with their own in-house stones, but maybe BN''s pricing structure is such that they still do the discount for the SB fluor. but as PS already mentinoed, it could be beneficial to you with the I color.

from what you said, 10% is not that much different in pricing when you add in the FatWallet discount AND the possibility of the stone being discounted already due to fluor. the numbers look fine, though for me i don''t like 62+ depth stones because you lose some weight in the pavilion. but it''s a nuance and i''m so picky. ;-)

SnakeEyes111

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Mara. I just realized that FW has lowered its BN cash back to 3% (FW''s discount is still the largest for Diamond.com though), which raises the price by $23 to $4,444.75. This still seems like an outstanding value for this diamond. So as long as the stone doesn''t appear milky or clowdy (BN tells me that it''s not), the consensus here is that this really is a great stone at a fantastic price, Blue Nile''s reputation for high prices notwithstanding?

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
I didn''t know BN had a reputation for higher prices... I thought they weren''t able to get as much information on the diamonds as other vendors because they have no in house diamonds.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
BN often does have higher prices than other PS vendors but not sure how much that has changed in the last year or so...aka with all the price hikes, not sure if they are more competitive because maybe their prices were always higher than PS vendors and now PS vendors are just looking more ''on par'' with BN due to price hikes. Anyway...what bothers me about BN stones is that the stones are not in-house and they can''t get more information aka images and idealscope images for you. That bugs me when you are dropping $4k or $40k. I prefer to work with someone who I can trust has the stone in-house and knows what to show me and tell me about it. But alot of people like to use BN because they are large and they trust that and them. There''s no right answer for everyone. Just be sure to be entirely educated about what you are purcashing. Good luck!

SnakeEyes111

Rough_Rock
I am actually willing to work with ANY reputable retailer out there but am definitely looking for the best value for the money. In my case, this means that I am willing to purchase a new AGS certified stone with a good to great HCA score without demanding IS or Bscope pics, as long as the return policy is generous (an independent appraiser can run these tests for me then). These virtual stones seem significantly cheaper than the in-house ones and the new AGS system and good HCA scores provide sufficient assurances (at least they are sufficient to me) that the stone is not a dog.

As for the stone in question, it is actually at Waldman Diamond Company, which is one of Blue Nile's suppliers. I've never before heard of Waldman's (they seem like a huge Israeli diamond wholesaler with offices in the heart of the NY diamond district, on 47th street), so I'm merely trying to figure out why the price of the stone is soooooooooooooo low, especially when you consider the competition.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I believe BN''s prices are very competative. In recent months, I was shopping for a half ct AGS0 for a pendant. My budget was very tight and my specs were specific, so I knew finding the right thing was not going to be easy. I found several listed (virtual) at BN that were perfect and less than prices I was finding elsewhere through other PS and non-PS vendors. I narrowed my choices down to a couple and called my local jeweler (Quest) who was able to track down the stone and bring it in so I could see it. They honored the BN price and no shipping charge. So although I ultimately did not get my stone directly through BN, that''s where I found it, and at the time, they were the only vendor that had ANY that fit my specs AND budget.

With regard to the stone you are considering, it seems worth a look to me. If I recall correctly, BN has an excellent return policy. An I color with strong blue, assuming it is eye clean with no haziness, could be a fantastic combination. With the 62.1 depth, the diameter will be marginally smaller than a shallower-cut stone, but it still makes the new AGS0 grade, scores well on the HCA and, best of all, the price is a bargain.

Arcam

Rough_Rock
"I thought they weren''t able to get as much information on the diamonds as other vendors because they have no in house diamonds. "

nope, they have over 1000 diamonds in house in their signature series.

jasontb

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/22/2006 6:44:57 PM
Author: Arcam
''I thought they weren''t able to get as much information on the diamonds as other vendors because they have no in house diamonds. ''

nope, they have over 1000 diamonds in house in their signature series.
What additional information comes with the signature series stones?

SnakeEyes111

Rough_Rock
Their signature diamonds include GCAL reports, which offer magnified photomicrographs and optical symmetry analysis (I'm not sure what they use to do that). The diamond I am considering is NOT in their signature collection.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know much about rounds, but if it looks good to you, you should put it on hold as soon as you can. Sometimes lurkers here end up buying diamonds out from underneath people that post diamond specs and the who the vendor is.

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
If BN confirmed the stone is eye clean, I say give it a shot. If it looks good to you once you get it, then do the appraisal. I recently purchased a pair of RB 0.42 point stones (J/VS2 AGS000, HCA 1.3) for earrings from BN and got a fantastic price. I looked at all of the other online vendors and no one could come close in price in my specific case. It''s strange, some of the stones on BN seem like excellent values while others are about the same as most PS vendors. It just depends.

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
i just received my BN .74 AGS 000 SI2 and it is eyeclean just like they said and BEAUTIFUL!!! :) and they do have a nice return policy.iwould go for it :)

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I think it could be a REAL winner in all aspects! Jump on it & keep us posted.

squawks

Rough_Rock
I purchased from Bluenile and to some extent I wished I should have purchased my stone from WhiteFlash or GoodOldGold simply because they have many diamonds in-house and on top of that, they provide *extensive* information on their diamonds including GemEx, Sarin, Idealscope, and H&A images!

I don''t regret my purchase with Bluenile, however, as they are indubitably the most buyer-friendly.

Nobody else has a 30-day satisfaction gaurantee (all refunds given back to you with no questions asked) and no restocking fees. Other online vendors, including WhiteFlash, may have up to 20% restocking fees and only a short period of 10-days to determine whether you wish to keep the product. Even more so, purchasing from other smaller vendors can become a headache as they may make you fax in additional information such as your ID, CC information, CC approval forms, etc etc while Bluenile works ways so easily.

Bluenile''s customer support is also superb - their business hours are incredibly long - up until 11PM PST! There is never a wait period.

If you get a stone that''s not eyeclean, you can just return it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results