shape
carat
color
clarity

What kind of setting for 3carat so it''s not so high?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
Today I spent half a day at Robbin''s Brothers looking at all the settings for the 3 carat I''m going to buy. But I realized that NO EASY thing to do!! Every setting looks waaaaaay too high with a 3 carat!! What to do! Are there any suggestions for lower settings? I would like to have it in a 4 prong... with the culet about 1mm from the skin of the finger.....

gunsuka

Rough_Rock
Trade
If you can't find a pre made setting that you like - due to height - your only alternative would be to have one made.

Find the style of setting you like, and have someone make one for you. What you would end up with is some modified version of what you see in the shops, it would probably have a hole in the bottom to let the point of the stone lay as low as possible (1mm from skin is quite a bit, they can make it much lower, there is little risk of damage to the point as your finger is protecting it).

Most ready made settings are simply a ring, with the prongs dropped on top. This makes the end result quite a bit higher.

I'm attaching a photo of a ring with a 2+ ct stone in it. Not sure if you can make it out in the photo, but there is a hole in the bottom of the channel that the bottom of the diamond drops into. This helped to keep the end result as low as possible.

gunsuka.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Suggest a 4 prong basket setting....they tend to have the diamond sit lower. I would try antique replica with something like a pave or filigree basket...beautiful and the diamonds usually sit alot lower than with the typical V shaped prongs.
1.gif
I love the designs on the link below and they are really reasonably priced. A few people on here have used them and been happy from what I recall.

http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=22

I love the 'Replica 1930' one on this page:

http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?page=2

It's got a bit of bead set stones on the side and it accomodates larger stones! Low set basket from what the picture looks like as well.
1.gif

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think that if you go with a havier shank ,and have the stone sit a little low into the shank,it might give the visuall effect of it not being so high.
look at this example

12657.jpg

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
Today when I went to shop for a setting... the lady who helped me showed me a simon G.. and said could custom make me a similar for the price os $2570.

I really like the setting... it's all platinum.... about 4mm wide..

is that price worth it? or about right?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Find the setting you like then if it's too high, have a custom ring made that incorporates the style of the setting but sitting lower. Get a nice quality one from a reputable jewelry designer. I couldn't imagine setting a three carat into anything less than perfection.

(looks like I wrote this as you were writing this second post about the simon g ring
1.gif

Michelle

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The setting can go almost as low as the hight of the diamond itself (quite alot to start with). Low-rise settings are rarely made as a series (they have to match the size of the diamond well). I suspect the W by Whiteflash can be made quit low. Otherwise, the solitaire sold by Diamondsbylauren is a good example of how 'low' (in ring hight) one can go: in theory, they only sell this with their diamonds, but you could ask. Otherwise that model could be a good poit to start deciding on the elements of your custom setting.

Best of luck!

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
I'm soooo excited! I found what I want !!! SCOTT KAY!!

Okay, I'm going back to the stores tomorrow!

Barbug

pauls girl

Shiny_Rock
is the setting on any website? I would love to see what you have in mind for that beautiful stone!

-PG

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
okay, here's the site..

http://www.scottkay.com/shell.asp?m=s

click on the following:

-skip intro

-upper left click ENGAGEMENT AND WEDDING SETS

- click engagement rings

- click solitaires

- 3rd page upper left #M0910P3

I love it!!

i wonder how much is it.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice!

Did you see it is for up to 1.5 ct only and is a very high-rise setting? If these are no concern, then why not!

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
actually, my first choice is this one.. depends on the price tho.. since this one has diamonds

http://www.scottkay.com/shell.asp?m=s

go into :

- engagement and wedding sets

- engagement rings

- diamond rings

- page 9/32 #M0324BDPP

it's the platinum and baguette engagement mounting 0.60 tcw

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same comments apply! Give them a call to ask if these settings can be stretched to hold a 3ct. this is very high. A low setting will not have metal under the culet of the diamond... to start.

For a whide crossection of ring styles see THIS Of course, you can order via other means.

Did tou see Kayla's ring? That was a well-made one...

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
wow!!

great site!!

can you send me the thread to kayla's??

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 12/7/2003 12:48:22 AM barbug wrote:

wow!!

great site!!

can you send me the thread to kayla's??
----------------

Here

Another custom piece by Mark Morrel received widespread acclaim here on PS...

Just for reference...

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
You're right, Kayla's does look awsome!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And this is one I like XXX for sitting at the very lowest on the finger. Just about as simple as it gets.

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
ohmygod!

I love that ebay one!

But I have to buy one of their diamond!

angryfire.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You will find the owner in the posts by "Diamondsbylauren" on this site. I think it is well worth asking the Q, I got my answer reasonably quickly from him. Otherwise, you could have a similar setting made: so you can also ask for a recommendation (whoever makes his rings can make one for you, I guess).

Hope this works!

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
thanks so much!!

you're so much help!!

I didn't know getting a ring ready for to wear is soooo difficult!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are most welcome! Getting rings is not hard... all I was trying is to lay out some options, for what to ask for from a ring maker. After all, buying the diamond is much more complicated and much more money is at stake. I hope your ring will be as great as the stone, for all of us to see on PS
1.gif
!

All my best!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results