shape
carat
color
clarity

What is under my prongs?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just got the coolest new toy for my iPhone 4 - an Ollo clip - and having a blast taking photos of anything that is nailed down! Bread, the dogs, snowflakes... and a few bling shots.

So, when taking these upclose and personal shots of my ering, I kept wondering what the reflection was, that was giving off a yellow colour. I've noticed it before and wondered... but obviously never investigated. In these photos, I am wearing an electric blue shirt and my hands are coming up as 'pink' in the diamond reflection, but there is this yellow/brown stuff under my prongs.

could that be... dare I even think it... GLUE???? or solder or YG or WHAT??? :shock: This is the reset that just sent back to be re- rhodium plated because that wore off after less than 2 months of wear. Please tell me what you think this might be under the prongs. :???:

IMG_0434.JPG

IMG_0437.JPG

IMG_0438.JPG

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
It does look like glue! Did you read that other thread here about a princess stone set with glue?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
;( Are you kidding me??? I read that thread, but I'm not sure that it was ever explained WHY they would use glue. Are princess' especially hard to set???

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes Dreamer, I remember reading that and also posted "get back to the store and complain!" to the OP! Now... here I am wondering WTH is going on under MY prongs! :angryfire:

I would NEVER have known any of this if I hadn't purchased that Ollo clip (courtesy of Ame and her OP showing it off and her jewels - thanks Ame for getting me inspired!) but whether I knew or NEVER knew --- Glue to set a stone?? or is it a dab of YG solder? It sure isn't right, is it????

As Christina says, are PR more challenging to set than a RB or other shape??? This ring is pi$$ing me off! (well, it's not the ring, its the bench that made it)... but still... am I cursed? Is this one of those 'divorce diamonds' we read about on another post??? :lol: :lol: :lol: Ok, just kidding about a curse yet it sure is a frustrating experience with the little things that have needed adjusting.

Ravinmad

Shiny_Rock
I wonder if its some residual material that was used to "pot" or hold your stone in place while the prongs were set. The other ring in the other thread was crazy bad. This I wonder if is just bad or sloppy housekeeping after the diamond was secured by the prongs :?:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh jeez. THAT is not good. I do know of some benches that use some kind of glue to hold it in place while they finish the prongs and seats but you'd think that would come back out pretty easily with steam! So this little toy could poitn out an awful lot of setting issues...

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
I would worry that the glue or whatever it is could crumble and leave the stone loose...I think it's worth going back to the seller to enquire about that substance and try to have it taken off of the setting. The ring as it is today may be at risk.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame|1329488112|3128072 said:
Oh jeez. THAT is not good. I do know of some benches that use some kind of glue to hold it in place while they finish the prongs and seats but you'd think that would come back out pretty easily with steam! So this little toy could point out an awful lot of setting issues...

It sure could!!! Or a loupe, but I do not own one at this point (stand by - new thread topic to be posted!)

Whether the end consumer "sees" glue (or whatever the heck this stuff is) isn't the issue in my mind, it's the fact it is there (why? aren't the prongs enough to hold a stone in place??) and the bench who made this, or any of our settings, has the tools and technology to see what it is that they send out to us/ consumers, as the final project. This is making me wonder a bit toooooo much about what other things I do not know!

I'm really annoyed and know I should go back and pursue this... but I'm really losing the desire to have ANY more contact with these people. I'm quite pi$$ed with them by this point.

Is it worth sending my ring away (cuz I'm sure they are going to have to do something to it - nothing ever seems to be accomplished on site :angryfire: ) or do I just baby the ring? (yeah... i hear ya... get it dealt with otherwise I'll lose the stone....)

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Frenchcut|1329494178|3128106 said:
I would worry that the glue or whatever it is could crumble and leave the stone loose...I think it's worth going back to the seller to enquire about that substance and try to have it taken off of the setting. The ring as it is today may be at risk.

I'm sure you are probably right about that. I'm just fed up with this company! ARGH!! I used them because the girl I dealt with is a friend of a friend. ( How many times in your life have you heard that situation - "never do business with a friend"... :nono: ) The store is 45 mins away, they never do anything on site, 45 mins home, waiting for weeks because they only ship out on Tuesdays and if its not returned by Friday, its another week... ugh.

Is this normal? glue/substance to set?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1329512741|3128301 said:

I'm sure you are probably right about that. I'm just fed up with this company! ARGH!! I used them because the girl I dealt with is a friend of a friend. ( How many times in your life have you heard that situation - "never do business with a friend"... :nono: ) The store is 45 mins away, they never do anything on site, 45 mins home, waiting for weeks because they only ship out on Tuesdays and if its not returned by Friday, its another week... ugh.

I'm curious about this too. I don't have a princess but I do have an asscher and your thread has had me sneaking peaks at my prongs all day! I've never paid much attention to the setting process but I'm going to do a google search and see if I can find some answers.

I'm not sure that I would go back to the same jewler again Enerchi, I think that after all this I would want to find a different bench that could shed some light on the situation. It looks like the glue is reflecting off the table in one of your pics. Did you see this before?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
looks like polishing compound to me, not unusual to find it under prongs.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Christina...|1329517976|3128376 said:
Enerchi|1329512741|3128301 said:

I'm curious about this too. I don't have a princess but I do have an asscher and your thread has had me sneaking peaks at my prongs all day! I've never paid much attention to the setting process but I'm going to do a google search and see if I can find some answers.

I'm not sure that I would go back to the same jewler again Enerchi, I think that after all this I would want to find a different bench that could shed some light on the situation. It looks like the glue is reflecting off the table in one of your pics. Did you see this before?

I never noticed anything odd with my stone before. In its first 'life form', it was a solitaire set in platinum with "W" prongs and sparkled like mad!!! I loved it - till DSS hits, then there is no cure but another diamond - we all know how that feels!

So when this came back, it seemed as tho it was 'grayer' than before. When I was doing 'mall research' trying on different eternity/anniversary bands, i kept thinking my centre stone looked dull. I've gone back to look at my GIA report and yes, it's GIA and it is an F, but its beside 2 E's on either side. That has been my only 'difference' I had noticed but after it was redipped because the rhodium wore off after less than 2 months, it did have flashes of yellow - making me wonder .... was this stone switched while it was sent out?

I think I'm just going into a deep rabbit hole of paranoia here. I don't have a loupe, but I'm going to pull out the Ollo clip and take a few more shots of this stone/prongs as well as the side stones. I am curious what else I don't know about this...

Really looking forward to what ever you can google about setting princesses - thanks for doing that Christina :halo:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Karl_K|1329518287|3128383 said:

Thanks Karl - will it just fade away over time? do I have to brush/clean it to get rid of it? will my stone be at risk of falling out if this is present or not present?

Really appreciate your input!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Enerchi|1329518603|3128386 said:

Thanks Karl - will it just fade away over time? do I have to brush/clean it to get rid of it? will my stone be at risk of falling out if this is present or not present?

steam should get most of it out, or a soft brush. I would leave it to a pro.
Looking over your last post is there an independent appraiser nearby?
https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers
If so you might consider hiring one for your peace of mind.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

That would make me feel much better!! :))

Karl would it ever make sense for a jeweler to use glue when setting a stone? I've read that it isn't uncommon when setting diamonds in an invisible setting..

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ame - I think you have probably nailed it there....

Christina - thanks! Interesting reading on stone setting...

Karl K - I won't mess with it any further - I'll take it to a different shop to get cleaned via steam - thanks for that input. As for the appraisers, I'm in Ontario, Canada and the ones listed are in Toronto / Thornhill - both about 4 - 5 hours away. I'll see about googling someone in my city. I think I need to go this route for the peace of mind it will bring me.

Thank you all! :halo:

Mike R

Shiny_Rock

Sorry but that is not any metal polishing compound that I know of, for w/Gold the common polish is either brown or red. I have also seen green and pure white.

In my opinion that is either some type of glue (more likely) or when you were wearing the ring it may have been covered in whatever it is and you didn't do a good job of cleaning under the claws, (less likely because you would know about this)

Princess cuts are more difficult to set, the sharp corners can chip easily during setting if your not extremely carful.
This is still no excuse to use glue though, glue should never be used because it does break down and discolor over time.

Sorry for the bad news, have you had it checked by an independent appraiser.

How's the plating wearing this time around?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Off-topic, but . . .

Mike R--Are you THE Mike R. responsible for the amazing renderings of ZahraLeyla's ring? If so, you are such a talent, and I'm so glad you've joined Pricescope!

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
Haven|1330886268|3140566 said:
Off-topic, but . . .

Mike R--Are you THE Mike R. responsible for the amazing renderings of ZahraLeyla's ring? If so, you are such a talent, and I'm so glad you've joined Pricescope!

Thanks for the welcome Haven and the kind comment, yes, I designed and made ZL's ring.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow. That's all I can say.

A true visionary. That ring is the most stunning piece of jewelry I have ever seen.

I think you could make a mint painting renderings of PSers' rings, by the way. A piece of wall art for the jewelry obsessed . . . :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I agree, Haven. A true work of art!!!! I am trying to figure out a way for Mike to make settings for us in the US! (Not that I could probably afford it, though!)

Very sorry for this problem, Enerchi!!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mike R|1330885346|3140560 said:

Sorry but that is not any metal polishing compound that I know of, for w/Gold the common polish is either brown or red. I have also seen green and pure white.

In my opinion that is either some type of glue (more likely) or when you were wearing the ring it may have been covered in whatever it is and you didn't do a good job of cleaning under the claws, (less likely because you would know about this)

Princess cuts are more difficult to set, the sharp corners can chip easily during setting if your not extremely carful.
This is still no excuse to use glue though, glue should never be used because it does break down and discolor over time.

Sorry for the bad news, have you had it checked by an independent appraiser.

How's the plating wearing this time around?

I've had it back now for 3 weeks and its fine. Sad that at the 3 week point, I'm starting to watch for discolouration!

I sent these same photos to the sales person and the owner - both emailed back with "nice shots" and that's it! okaaaaay.... Neither commented on the brown junk. :rolleyes:

I have not had it appraised yet, but it has been steamed twice since I got it back early/mid February because I was in a mall and tried on some rings and both times, was offered to have it cleaned. I would assume if that was something easily removed, the steaming should have removed it... is that correct? I also clean it with Dawn liquid/water/supersoft baby toothbrush, so there is not a lot of stuff getting in there that I don't know about or haven't cleaned off.

My fear is that the corners are broken, they have not told me and they just 'glued' it back in place. At any point, I'm going to look down and see it's missing. Just a fear of mine.

Thanks for your input Mike (and you ARE a creative genius -love Zehra's ring!!!)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They emailed you back with "nice shots"??????

I would get in there with a hooky metal thing like dentists use to torture you and see if you can scrape it out. Gunk can get in there and dry and be impossible to be dislodged otherwise. Or if you're worried about doing that, take it to another jeweler or an appraiser.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
If it were my ring I would want to have it evaluated. If the corners are chipped, you don't want them to come back on you and try to claim that you caused the damage. I have a bellyache just thinking about it. Have you photographed it again, can you still see it after having had it steamed a couple of times?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
distracts|1330900364|3140673 said:
They emailed you back with "nice shots"??????

I would get in there with a hooky metal thing like dentists use to torture you and see if you can scrape it out. Gunk can get in there and dry and be impossible to be dislodged otherwise. Or if you're worried about doing that, take it to another jeweler or an appraiser.

uh huh! pretty amazing, eh? :rolleyes: I mean, when I look at the pics (and after I've been dazzled by the sparkle) the gunk is about all I can focus on! Its just so out of place... and yet, from professional jewellery staff and store owner, I get a "nice" back!!! :angryfire:

Pretty frustrating. I find I get busy at work, then get tired when I get home (or too tired to swing by my regular jeweller) that I haven't pursued anything further with a second opinion. I'll admit to being lazy about this... :oops:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Christina...|1330901479|3140685 said:
If it were my ring I would want to have it evaluated. If the corners are chipped, you don't want them to come back on you and try to claim that you caused the damage. I have a bellyache just thinking about it. Have you photographed it again, can you still see it after having had it steamed a couple of times?

Thanks for the motivation! I am going to do that right now - clip on the Ollo piece and take a good look. If there was a significant problem, I could just imagine it not resolving well with this store. Nothing to base that on but a gut feeling --- since its all gone so well so far... NOT! ;))

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its the same. Nothing has changed - gunk is still there. :(sad It sure looks like a bad glue job

But on the upside, it *IS* still my diamond in there - it wasn't switched out! I managed to get a photo of the stone and found the laser inscription with the super macro zoom! Cool!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nice shots.
?!?!?!?!

That's unbelievable!

I hope you can get this resolved somehow, Enerchi. And if it IS glue under those prongs, I hope you can find a skilled bench who can fix it for you.

I love how you're staying positive by looking at the upside. You have a very inspiring attitude!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results