shape
carat
color
clarity

What is a black diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

isis~goddess

Shiny_Rock
I don't even recall seeing black diamonds years ago, but I see them in online jewelry stores now and I don't even know what they are. Wouldn't a black diamond be coal? What is the appeal of a black diamond? Just wonder and had to ask!!

ETA: included original text from duplicate

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
not really sure what colors it, but they are sparkly. I am getting a pair of pave diamond earrings that are drops, and the rims is white diamond and the center is black diamonds. They really look great.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s technical term is marcasite and it is a wholly different mineral than a diamond. That is what I''ve seen toughted a "black diamonds" in jewelry pieces. It''s very pretty in art deco style pieces. According to wikipedia, there is also a true diamond that is black is called a "carbonado". They are not used in jewelry and some think they are parts of meteorites and thus extra terrestrial in origin. Wiki links a pic and it''s an ugly bugger!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve seen chocolate colored diamonds, they are the rage right now. Haven''t seen a black diamond in person. Marcasite is not a black diamond. It''s composed of Marcasite, whole other being.

Hoping the experts help us out here....
34.gif

dkodner

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hello Isis-
Kaleigh is correct, Marcasite is a completely different gem, not a black diamond. Black diamonds do exist, both treated and natural. Almost all of what you see in the market (ie. jewelry stores and the like) are treated black diamonds. One of the treatments used is heavily irradiated dark green so much so that they appear black. There are a few other ways to irradiate black. These are relatively inexpensive stones, and make a nice look in jewelry. There are a few, although very rare, natural black diamonds. There is not a ton of research on them and what makes them appear black, but the GIA has written a couple of articles on them. Of the research done, it has shown that high concentrations of magnetite, hematite and iron inclusions cause these natural blacks to be black, or dark gray. You could contact GIA''s Gems and Gemology and get their published articles on black diamonds, they are an interesting read. The natural blacks are going to be bought mostly by collectors, rather than for jewelry. I would not set my natural black into jewelry, but I would wear a treated one. Hope this helps.

D

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The Spirit of de Grisogono is the worlds largest cut black diamond and the fifth largest diamond in the world.

312.24 carats

spiritOfGrisogono.JPG

dkodner

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Now that''s a ring. I''d hate to be the one to tighten the stone if it came loose...
6.gif

Here is my .85ct natural black. This is one the most interesting stones in my collection. The GIA called this just a natural black, with no notes about anything else. This is just a quick small pic, but you may be able to see that this stone is actually semi-translucent, not just pockets of clear, but you can actually see into the stone. It also has violet undertone that was undetected by the GIA. In the second picture, all I have done is shined a small handheld pocket lite on the edge of the stone. You will see from the picture the definite violet tone that comes out. It is actually amazing to see this in person. It is a definite color change. So this is not your average black diamond, but I thought you might like to see they exist. This is also a great example of how just having a pure single color in a diamond is not always the most desirable, secondary colors can make them much more rare and interesting.

black85sma.jpg

dkodner

Shiny_Rock
Trade
second pic.....

black85smd.jpg

isis~goddess

Shiny_Rock
that is a lot of info, thanks! so "black diamonds" are treated diamonds that would have otherwise been inexpensive (and i guess still are) dut to color or inclusions? i thought champange diamonds were treated to cover poor color too, am i wrong about that?

I do believe that most champagne diamonds on the market are untreated stones, having a natural fancy light brown/yellow color. Darker shades of brown often are called cognac or chocolate diamonds respective to their intensity. Rough in these color ranges is not particularly rare, as the Argyle mine in Australia produces a great deal of stones in these ranges

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/16/2008 9:07:23 PM
Author: isis~goddess
that is a lot of info, thanks! so ''black diamonds'' are treated diamonds that would have otherwise been inexpensive (and i guess still are) dut to color or inclusions? i thought champange diamonds were treated to cover poor color too, am i wrong about that?
In Black Diamonds..., I am not sure..., but I think most jewelers want treated because of some radiation issue in the natural Black''s...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results