shape
carat
color
clarity

What color stones are people REALLY wearing?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I proudly wear my GIA L, K, and J colored diamonds! You can't see the side views of any of my stones as they're all bezeled and I honestly don't notice a tint in them in most lighting situations.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Asscherhalo_lover|1337965237|3203649 said:
I proudly wear my GIA L, K, and J colored diamonds! You can't see the side views of any of my stones as they're all bezeled and I honestly don't notice a tint in them in most lighting situations.

I like warm colors myself, so bring on the Js, Ks, and Ls (especially in old cuts)!!! But I think the point Haven and others are making in this thread is that if the majority of rings are purchased from mall stores, not only are the color grades off, but the cut quality is probably poor, and so they are both tinted and *dead* which to me isn't the most desirable combination. And since the wearers of those rings are relying on IGI, EGL, and other certs, then they may *think* they have an E/F/G, but really have a J/K/L.

Kalrik

Shiny_Rock
Lol, had to laugh at that post, Haven. I wouldn't trust an eye doctor who couldn't see a stone was ugly either.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
onedrop|1337965927|3203661 said:

I like warm colors myself, so bring on the Js, Ks, and Ls (especially in old cuts)!!! But I think the point Haven and others are making in this thread is that if the majority of rings are purchased from mall stores, not only are the color grades off, but the cut quality is probably poor, and so they are both tinted and *dead* which to me isn't the most desirable combination. And since the wearers of those rings are relying on IGI, EGL, and other certs, then they may *think* they have an E/F/G, but really have a J/K/L.

I get the point of the thread, I just wanted to share that I at least know what colors I'm wearing and I still love them. People have asked me sometimes what color my stones are and when I tell them the truth some will look at me like I'm an idiot for spending money on them, meanwhile I know there's a good chance that their stones are no better and they don't even know it.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Asscherhalo_lover|1337966544|3203667 said:
onedrop|1337965927|3203661 said:

I get the point of the thread, I just wanted to share that I at least know what colors I'm wearing and I still love them. People have asked me sometimes what color my stones are and when I tell them the truth some will look at me like I'm an idiot for spending money on them, meanwhile I know there's a good chance that their stones are no better and they don't even know it.

You are so right! And that is the rub...

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Haven said:
stargurl78|1337959311|3203552 said:
Yes, I do see a lot of dead stones.

This is bad, but I met with a new eye doctor a couple years ago. She was young and kind of bitchy (she kind of acted like you'd expect a scorned ex of your current SO to act towards you), so I didn't take to her very well, but her office is so close to my house so I figured I'd suck it up and deal with her attitude once a year.

Well, we went into the eye exam and I saw her HORRIBLE, GIGANTIC princess e-ring. The setting was a monster, and the stone was dead. I can't trust an eye doctor who cannot see that a giant princess is lifeless, so I found a new doctor after I filled that one prescription with her.

Haven, you are too funny! Only on PS would someone go to a new eye doctor because their current one had a horrible diamond :lol:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
^^^^

Too funny!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Laila619|1337964539|3203637 said:
LOL! She probably does see it, but if her poor, unsuspecting husband bought it for her from the mall, what can she do? :bigsmile:

That is true. Back in the '90s I worked with a woman whose husband bought her a huge marquise that had to be 1.5 to 1.75 ct at the very least. It was very white, but it was dead. It had no fire or scintillation whatsoever. After a while, she just put it away and wore only her wedding band. I think it was because she'd suddenly learned what a very well-cut diamond should look like.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kalrik|1337966243|3203664 said:
Lol, had to laugh at that post, Haven. I wouldn't trust an eye doctor who couldn't see a stone was ugly either.

+1. :lol:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
You all know you would have done the same thing!

Asscherhalo--I tell people that my stone is an O/P if they ask. I've only had two people ask me in a year, though. I made this thread after reading *so many* threads with guys agonizing over whether they should buy the H or the J, and it really made me wonder if the stones they're seeing on their friends' hands aren't actually lower than that J he's obsessing about. That's all.

Chloegal

Rough_Rock
Haven|1338066890|3204425 said:
You all know you would have done the same thing!

Asscherhalo--I tell people that my stone is an O/P if they ask. I've only had two people ask me in a year, though. I made this thread after reading *so many* threads with guys agonizing over whether they should buy the H or the J, and it really made me wonder if the stones they're seeing on their friends' hands aren't actually lower than that J he's obsessing about. That's all.

Haven it`s a very interesting question and great market research too! All the soft and or no reports on the diamonds that people are wearing, plus people`s tendancy to exadurate or upgrade the value of what they own, plus plain lack of knowledge, interest or opportunity to compare with real high color grades, probably mens that most people are wearing diamonds J or lower imo.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww, and I'm so literal, that I thought you were really talking about colored stones! I was drooling at the prospect of hearing everyone's wish list and CS favorites...sigh.

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
My original e-ring stone is from Kay Jewelers. It came with no papers (this was almost 20 years ago, DH was 19, and I'm not sure he even knew/asked about color grades). It was one of their branded cuts, though, a 100-faceted stone that was a predecessor to the Leo diamond. Pricey, too. I got it appraised to insure it for resetting into a pendant, and the appraisal came back as "generously a J," but more of a J/K, and appraiser couldn't rule out L. It was appraised while set in white gold.

Thoughts on this - even the branded, "big deal" diamonds at mall stores are low in color.

In all the time I wore it, NO ONE ever suggested to me that it was tinted in any way. It actually was pretty well cut for a mall stone, bright and lively, and always compared well to other people's diamonds. I can't say that I really ever noticed tint - I observed that it tended to take on colors from its environment, and it seems like all the interior spaces around me are brown/beige, lol.

The faceting really hid the color. Even the appraiser said that he really struggled with assigning a color grade to it, because it faced up very white. I would not even say that this was an ideal cut diamond.

The J/K/L stone is now set into white gold with a halo of F/G melee from BGD, and I notice no color difference at all between them. The center stone is bezeled, which I'm sure helps.

J is still kind of a mental thing for me, though, even though I know that I OWN a J/K.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results