shape
carat
color
clarity

Vatche Setting Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jamocha

Rough_Rock
I have a setting questions I hope some of you will know the answer to. My boyfriend and I have been looking at rings lately and I''ve completely fallen in love with the Vatche X-prong setting. However, I also really love the Whiteflash ACA stones. How would we go about getting a diamond from WF and a Vatche setting from another vendor and then getting both the diamond and the setting in the same place? I know Vatche has to set the diamond, I''m just worried about the logistics and cost of repeatedly shipping either the diamond or the setting, we''re trying to stay on a pretty tight budget. There are no local jewelers who carry the Vatche line. Also, will a Vatche X-prong be too overwhelming of a setting for a smaller diamond (0.5-0.75 carats)? Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would either buy the ACA and set it in the WhiteFlash x-prong setting, or I''d buy a hearts and arrows diamond from Good Old Gold and they can have Vatche set it for you.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know a lot about the logistics. I had my local jeweler set my diamond into my vatche x prong. They didn''t tell me it would void the warranty. I''m not sure they knew! When I found out later I wasn''t even that upset b/c I have the simple x prong solitaire so I didn''t think I needed to worry about sidestones or anything like that. Still, it makes sense to have Vatche set it so that you do maintain the warranty!

About whether it would look good with your size diamond, I would think so but I''m not sure. All I can say is that before, I had a 2mm generic "tiffany" style mounting and it did make my diamond look bigger than the x prong does. I have a 1.1 ct stone. However, I like the vatche a lot better than my old setting. I think it is really well proportioned, higher quality, with more design to it, and I like having a bit more thickness to the ring. I am very pleased with it. Anyway, I would go to a local store and try on a 3 mm setting (cathedral, whatever they have) with a stone about the size you are looking at. This would give you an idea of the scale of it, and the approximate top view, keeping in mind that your vatche will have the cool x prong profile going on as an added bonus!

Also, you can check my old threads to see some pics, but you should know that for a wedding band you will either have a small gap, or need to get the matching wedding band which is curved. I have 2 types of wedding band. I like how the curved one looks and I like that it is an exact match. However, they are not always perfectly lined up as I am wearing them, and that can be annoying. With the straight band that I have now (a thin eternity band), I don''t notice the gap at all. However, I tried on some other straight bands a while ago that were plain platinum and I could not find one that I thought looked just perfect with it (which is why I got the matching band). So I would recommend trying it on if at all possible, and if not, at least checking out all the pictures you can find on this site to see if you think the wedding band issue is OK.

Many people have their wedding band soldered together with their e-ring which keeps them lined up permanently. It can also be undone by your jeweler later on if you change your mind. I haven''t done this because I like switching off between my two wedding bands. But it is certainly a solution!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whiteflash and Winfield''s have frequently collaborated.

The X prong is mysterious... I think it looks excellent on smaller diamonds as well as major rocks.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/18/2006 4:24:29 AM
Author: JulieN
Whiteflash and Winfield''s have frequently collaborated.

The X prong is mysterious... I think it looks excellent on smaller diamonds as well as major rocks.
Ditto!

jamocha

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for all the advice! I''ve seen pictures on Whiteflash''s site of their version of the x-prong. But to me it looks less graceful than the Vatche and I believe it is 4 mm which seems awfully wide (I know, there''s really only a mm difference, but I can be picky). Anyone have any real life pictures of it or know if it can be slimmed down to 2.5 or 3 mm?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2006 2:16:31 PM
Author: jamocha
Thanks so much for all the advice! I''ve seen pictures on Whiteflash''s site of their version of the x-prong. But to me it looks less graceful than the Vatche and I believe it is 4 mm which seems awfully wide (I know, there''s really only a mm difference, but I can be picky). Anyone have any real life pictures of it or know if it can be slimmed down to 2.5 or 3 mm?
Here''s mine, just a few pics.
9.gif

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-my-upgrades.49892/

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a picture of my Vatche Royal Xprong with a .75 ct. It differs from the regular x-prong in that the sides taper towards the diamond.

ring 003 (4).jpg

LizzieC

Brilliant_Rock
Don''t mean to threadjack, but tulip your rings are just lovely!! I haven''t seen them before.
1.gif

jt2

Rough_Rock
Hi. Newbie here, and am glad I stumbled on this site. Looks like I''m in the same boat as jamocha. I''ve been looking at the x-prong by Vatche and WF. I prefer the Vatche over the WF, mainly because I''m afraid the 4mm band of WF would overwhelm her hand. But I don''t really know how wide the Vatche band is. I think all the pics in this thread show the Vatche, which looks VERY nice! Just wondering if anyone has pics of a ring with the WF x-prong and would love to hear any opinions about them!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I have the Vatche and if you search under my threads, you can find some more pics (none of them that fabulous, but just thought I''d mention!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results