shape
carat
color
clarity

UV rays???!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shoemortgage1979

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know if uv rays from a tanning bed fades white gold into yellowish gold really fast? I just received an anniversary ring that is white gold in October of 2005...already it had to go to the jewelers to be redipped (rhodium plated). I have also just upped my visits to the tanning bed....could the fast yellowing be related??
33.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn''t have thought so, what do you use to clean it with? Rhodium plating can wear off and I think certain cleaners with high levels of ammonia can hasten the process if overused. Maybe one of the experts can shed some light on this ( no pun intended!)

shoemortgage1979

Rough_Rock
I usually try to let the jewelers clean it, but when I''m at home I use Fantastik...that''s probably high in ammonia...hmmm, what should I use to clean it at home that doesn''t contain ammonia??
40.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Rich Sherwood recommends Mr Clean and water, half and half, you could try a search, there are lots of threads on cleaners or plain dishwashing liquid and warm water does a good job. Scrubbing Bubbles I have heard is good too.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
SM- Any chance that you are using somesort of tanning enhancer? If so do you know what is in it? You may want to look at that as well.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2006 9:14:28 AM
Author: Matatora
SM- Any chance that you are using somesort of tanning enhancer? If so do you know what is in it? You may want to look at that as well.
this is more likely. the discoloration would be due to a chemical reaction, or just a poor alloy.. not the tanning bed.

shoemortgage1979

Rough_Rock
Thank u for all the suggestions. I will try Mr. Clean instead of the other. Also, I don''t use any tanning lotion, so I am wondering if it is a poor alloy as was mentioned. I bought it from a reputable jeweler that I''ve bought from before...I hope that''s not the case...any more suggestions besides cleaning agents or tanning lotion that can fade the white gold so quickly...I was thinking maybe I should take off my rings more often when I am cleaning or exercising...
41.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results