shape
carat
color
clarity

Upgrading to a 4.08 ct. RB

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luvstheflash

Rough_Rock
We have purchased the diamond and are waiting on CAD drawings that should be done in a couple of days. I''m experiencing obsession at this point, which I''m sure is pretty normal. If you can calm my nerves, that would be great! If you can''t and you see something terribly wrong here, please let me know that too!

DH and I looked at a number of diamonds before deciding this was the one. We wanted a big diamond and it is important to us that it be a good color and eye clean. This one is.....at least to us. From what I''ve read on this board, the eye clean determination is truly individual. I could see the inclusions under the loupe, but not without.

Nevertheless, here are the specs on the stone as certified by EGL. I know from reading here as well, that EGL isn''t the certification you would choose, but it''s what I have!

4.08 carats
Color I
Clarity SI2
10.38x10.31x6.25mm
Depth 60.4%
Width 61%
Crown 13%
Pavillion 44%
Polish - Very good
Symmetry - Very good
Culet - None
Fluorescence - None
Grain - NIL
Girdle - Thin to Sl Thick, Faceted, Laser Inscribed
8 Hearts and 8 Arrows

I only had my iPhone with me the day I saw this diamond, but I did take a picture. Not sure if it is going to show up here or not.

I''m definitely a newbie at this, but if I did the input correctly, I get a 4.8 on the HCA. I take it that''s not a good result. So while the report came back not so good, the diamond is beautiful and made my heart sing. I can only hope that the my ring brings me great joy.

diamondsmall.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
at over 10mm, 4.08...it's a big stone. if the 4 ct mark is important to you, and i guess it is since you went with EGL I SI2, then as long as the price you paid for it is fair...as you said, you think the stone is beautiful...

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW!!!
23.gif

So, you have an EGL cert and the numbers on your stone aren''t perfect . . . so what? Like you said, it makes your heart sing, and you think it''s beautiful. THAT''S ALL THAT MATTERS!!! Congratulations on your gorgeous new stone, and for what it''s worth, I think it''s beautiful too!
30.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the stone still within the return period? are you looking for a better cut stone?

Cocosgirl

Shiny_Rock
If you love it and it sings to you WHO CARES what it scored on the ACA???? If you don''t love it then that''s a whole nuther story
30.gif

luvstheflash

Rough_Rock
Julie, 4 ct. wasn't a magic number. We both wanted a large diamond, which isn't really shocking to those who know us. I guess we're a bit over the top! LOL Size mattered, but so did budget. We wanted big and beautiful, but wanted to spend a reasonable amount of money.

Thanks Emm...it really does look pretty on my hand and will look even better when it's set! It's just so easy to get buyer's remorse!

Haven't thought about returning it, Dancing Fire. The numbers do confuse me because I thought 8 hearts and 8 arrows meant that the stone is a good cut. **sigh**

I do love it, Cocosgirl!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
You sound like you are second guessing yourself. That''s never fun.

Did you shop around, look at lots of stones, compare prices? Have it independently appraised?

I''m sure it was a LOT of money, and for that kind of money, I''d want to be sure I was getting what I was paying for.

After that, IMHO, it just comes down to what your eyes see. And if you love it, and are satisfied with the price you paid for it, then ENJOY!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
As long as "reasonable" was in the $29K to $33K range, and you love it, then it''s a happy match for you
1.gif

luvstheflash

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lynn....I am second guessing myself and to be honest, I probably woudn''t be if hadn''t have stumbled across this website! LOL I am glad I did though...tons of wonderful information and blinginess to be found here!

We did look at a lot of different stones and I have done a bunch of price comparisons. I''m very comfortable there. I''ve also looked at all the SI pictures here and I know that I looked and looked for inclusions in the stone and saw none. With the loupe, yes, but it''s SI2, so I expect to see inclusions.

We do want a big bang for our buck, so I knew we would have to compromise somewhere. At first I thought it would be color, but I just didn''t like the stones that had a little color. As it turns out, I was able to give a bit on the clarity and still get a great looking diamond. I''m probably just nervous because it is a lot of money and a once in a lifetime purchase.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2008 10:51:05 PM
Author: luvstheflash
Thanks Lynn....I am second guessing myself and to be honest, I probably woudn''t be if hadn''t have stumbled across this website! LOL I am glad I did though...tons of wonderful information and blinginess to be found here!

We did look at a lot of different stones and I have done a bunch of price comparisons. I''m very comfortable there. I''ve also looked at all the SI pictures here and I know that I looked and looked for inclusions in the stone and saw none. With the loupe, yes, but it''s SI2, so I expect to see inclusions.

We do want a big bang for our buck, so I knew we would have to compromise somewhere. At first I thought it would be color, but I just didn''t like the stones that had a little color. As it turns out, I was able to give a bit on the clarity and still get a great looking diamond. I''m probably just nervous because it is a lot of money and a once in a lifetime purchase.
Yes, I can totally relate. That''s why I bought from an online vendor with a full trade-up policy. THAT takes a LOT of the stress out of the purchase, because you can upgrade at any time, and apply your full purchase price to any new diamond.

I probably couldn''t have handled the stress of the purchase otherwise, and I have an AGS-0 (*only*) 2.36 RB!!!
23.gif
2.gif
9.gif

luvstheflash

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/16/2008 10:48:09 PM
Author: purrfectpear
As long as ''reasonable'' was in the $29K to $33K range, and you love it, then it''s a happy match for you
1.gif

Whew, a happy match it is then!
36.gif

tiffanyornot

Rough_Rock
I know dear that you may not like my opinion but I will give it.

I see a lot of bigger engagement rings, and at a certain point I personally would not go with a round, especially when it's 4 carats. But, that's just my opinion. Also, just be careful about the inclusions! Look at DancingFire's signature: it is that it's easier for it to be eye clean rather than mind clean.
18.gif

Quantity is great, but I think you should not sacrifice quality. In my amateur view, the bigger the diamond, unfortunately the better color and clarity you would need to get. For example, if you got a 1 carat, if your minimum standards were I color and SI2, then you should only expect a better color and better clarity than that in a 4 carat.

But, of course, in the end, your opinion counts the most! If you love it, by all means don't second guess yourself...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/16/2008 11:11:23 PM

As long as ''reasonable'' was in the $29K to $33K range, and you love it, then it''s a happy match for you
1.gif

36.gif
is the report from EGL-USA ? did you look at the stone under a heart & arrow scope?

luvstheflash

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/16/2008 11:53:22 PM
Author: tiffanyornot
I know dear that you may not like my opinion but I will give it.

I see a lot of bigger engagement rings, and at a certain point I personally would not go with a round, especially when it''s 4 carats. But, that''s just my opinion. Also, just be careful about the inclusions! Look at DancingFire''s signature: it is that it''s easier for it to be eye clean rather than mind clean.
18.gif

Quantity is great, but I think you should not sacrifice quality. In my amateur view, the bigger the diamond, unfortunately the better color and clarity you would need to get. For example, if you got a 1 carat, if your minimum standards were I color and SI2, then you should only expect a better color and better clarity than that in a 4 carat.

But, of course, in the end, your opinion counts the most! If you love it, by all means don''t second guess yourself...

Your opinion may not be what I want to hear, but I did ask for it, so it really is fine! Based on what I have read on this site, what you said really wasn''t shocking. Thank you.
1.gif

luvstheflash

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/16/2008 11:53:59 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
Date: 6/16/2008 11:11:23 PM

1.gif

36.gif
is the report from EGL-USA ? did you look at the stone under a heart & arrow scope?

I''m not sure on EGL-USA, but I will find out. I haven''t looked at the stone under the H&A scope, but I will. I will be meeting with the jeweler next week to look at the wax setting and will do it then.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My only suggestion would be to make sure you see it in as many lighting situations as possible, but definitely give it a good look in natural daylight (from all angles), but not directly in the sun. If you still love it, then it''s the one!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on buying the stone of your dreams!! Honestly, we could analyze the numbers all day long, but if it makes your heart sing then that''s what is most important. Many people stumble onto this website after the purchase and start second-guessing their decision, but don''t forget that you fell in love with this diamond and hopefully you still love it as much as you did the day you bought it.

So are you having a setting made for it?? What kind of setting are you putting it in?

luvstheflash

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/17/2008 9:10:42 AM
Author: Ellen
My only suggestion would be to make sure you see it in as many lighting situations as possible, but definitely give it a good look in natural daylight (from all angles), but not directly in the sun. If you still love it, then it''s the one!

Thank you Ellen; I have seen it inside and outside and I do love it!

luvstheflash

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/17/2008 9:12:43 AM
Author: NewEnglandLady
Congrats on buying the stone of your dreams!! Honestly, we could analyze the numbers all day long, but if it makes your heart sing then that''s what is most important. Many people stumble onto this website after the purchase and start second-guessing their decision, but don''t forget that you fell in love with this diamond and hopefully you still love it as much as you did the day you bought it.

So are you having a setting made for it?? What kind of setting are you putting it in?

Thank you NewEnglandLady for your wise and kind words. I am having a setting made and have spoken a great deal to the jeweler about it. I love this Natalie K design and the designer will use this as the basis for his drawings. I also asked him to provide a drawing that shows the same design, but with the center stone bezel set, and another drawing with the center stone set in a square shaped halo. Lastly, I asked him to provide a drawing with the designer taking creative liberties, while keeping my style in mind, but in a setting that will allow the center stone to perform to the best of its ability (assuming the previous designs won''t do that). I''m excited to see what they come up with!

kerisetting.jpg

krisvrn

Brilliant_Rock
I have read that EGL USA was more accurate as compared to EGL that was performed in Israel or other places. That is one great looking rock!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/16/2008 9:52:31 PM
Author:luvstheflash

Nevertheless, here are the specs on the stone as certified by EGL. I know from reading here as well, that EGL isn''t the certification you would choose, but it''s what I have!
the diamond is beautiful and made my heart sing.
HI:

You decided for yourself and that is very important, and what matters most. Thanks for sharing--and look forward to seeing your stone set!

cheers--Sharon

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2008 9:44:37 AM
Thank you Ellen; I have seen it inside and outside and I do love it!
Then that''s all that matters!
36.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I also have an EGL H&A (only 2 cts though ;-) but I love the stone and think it''s gorgeous. Enjoy your diamond, and I can''t wait to see better pics once it''s set! Congrats!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/17/2008 10:03:27 AM

Date: 6/17/2008 9:12:43 AM
Author: NewEnglandLady

Thank you NewEnglandLady for your wise and kind words. I am having a setting made and have spoken a great deal to the jeweler about it. I love this Natalie K design and the designer will use this as the basis for his drawings. I also asked him to provide a drawing that shows the same design, but with the center stone bezel set, and another drawing with the center stone set in a square shaped halo. Lastly, I asked him to provide a drawing with the designer taking creative liberties, while keeping my style in mind, but in a setting that will allow the center stone to perform to the best of its ability (assuming the previous designs won''t do that). I''m excited to see what they come up with!
Luvstheflash, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this setting!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I would go with this one . . . I can''t imagine a more perfect setting for your gorgeous stone!!!
18.gif

luvstheflash

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your responses. I do keep obsessing and will until the ring is done.

Tomorrow I am going to hang out with my diamond for a little while again...heehee....and will view it under the IdealScope so I can see the hearts and arrows. My jeweler did a great job of calming my nerves today and assured me that my ring is going to be a one of a kind, knock-out beauty! Part of his job is keeping me on track of course, but I do feel better that he is taking plenty of time to hold my hand!

I have done so much research with the information this forum has to offer that I feel like I am not doing this blindly. I''ll never be an expert, but I do like to be as informed as I can be. Of course, information can always be a problem as well, but I''ll deal with it!

My stone of choice might not be what someone else would buy and I''m good with that.
1.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I cannot wait to see this finished. I think that from the (admittedly) lousy Iphone pic that the stone looks AMAZING on your hand. Sometimes you just have to say frig em if they don''t like what I like. You like, you bought, and that''s okay by me.

shay

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
That''s a beautiful setting, it reminds me of Beaudry and Jack Kelege styles.

One thing though, that gorgeous diamond looks like it is already taking up 100% of your finger real estate. I have a hard time imagining that particular setting wide enough to hold the stone and still fit on your finger?

Whatever you end up with, I can tell it will be a traffic stopper
36.gif

jill_s

Brilliant_Rock
If you love the stone and it is beautiful in your eyes, then more power to you! From the photo it looks great on your hand. At the end of the day, you are the one who will look at that stone multiple times each day...so if you love it, you''ve done well!

LollyBear

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/17/2008 10:48:52 PM
That''s a beautiful setting, it reminds me of Beaudry and Jack Kelege styles.

One thing though, that gorgeous diamond looks like it is already taking up 100% of your finger real estate. I have a hard time imagining that particular setting wide enough to hold the stone and still fit on your finger?

Whatever you end up with, I can tell it will be a traffic stopper
36.gif
I too second guessed my ring after finding PS (my diamond has a bs cert and is only 1ct) but still love it because we picked it out with lots of love. As long as you love it, that''s all that matters. And from that pic, blurry as it may be, it looks like a really nice stone.

The setting you''re chosing is gorgeous and I think it''ll look even better with a bezeled center. I was about to say the same thing as purrfectpear though; I can''t imagine how it''s going to fit on your finger. I''m sure your jeweler will work it out and I can''t wait to see the end result.

Congrats on the purchase!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results