shape
carat
color
clarity

Update on Freaking Out thread aka Help me search for my 3+ ct

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jgny

Shiny_Rock
Some of you may remember me from my original thread, here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/freaking-out-hca-came-back-as-fair.130388/

To summarize, I bought a diamond spur of the moment with no research and got what I deserved. I can exchange the diamond for another one, and am working with the same jeweler and supplier to get the diamond, so it will take some time. This time around, I am going to be armed and educated. In terms of my search, these are the specs that I am thinking of giving to them. It will be a RB diamond. I love cushions but I feel that round will get me the most scintillation for my money. I plan to set it in a Leon setting, something very delicate.

Carat - 3 carat or higher

Color - H or higher. I originally wanted to keep it above F, but I have been to Tiffany''s and looked at their diamonds in the size range I am looking at. Both were very well cut, and the difference between an E and an I was barely detectable. The I diamond looked a bit more amber, but that was under a dark spot and some straining to see it. Do you think it will make a (price) difference if I set the floor at H or I? Right now I am thinking H or higher.

Clarity - VS1 or higher

Cut - this is the hardest. I will be looking at GIA diamonds only, so I will specify that cut has to be excellent. I will also plug the #s into the HCA to make sure that it rates 1-2. I will also ask for Sarin, Ogi, or Helium reports (are these pretty standard? Would a supplier always have one of them?). Please note that I will be buying from a supplier in Hong Kong, not the USA. Also Ideal-scope if available. As I am trying to avoid the GIA Excellent steep and deep, I thought it would be good to give guidance on table (53-58%), crown (34.0-35.0) and pavilion (not sure on what to specify here???) as well. Is that redundant if I only screen for GIA excellent cuts? Should I give guidance on spread as well?

What is most important to me is that the diamond be as white as possible and blindingly SPARKLY, fiery, bright! No more donut!

Would welcome any feedback on anything else I need to specify to find my diamond... thanks so much in advance!!!

21.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/8/2010 7:41:16 PM
Author:jgny
Some of you may remember me from my original thread, here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/freaking-out-hca-came-back-as-fair.130388/

To summarize, I bought a diamond spur of the moment with no research and got what I deserved. I can exchange the diamond for another one, and am working with the same jeweler and supplier to get the diamond, so it will take some time. This time around, I am going to be armed and educated. In terms of my search, these are the specs that I am thinking of giving to them. It will be a RB diamond. I love cushions but I feel that round will get me the most scintillation for my money. I plan to set it in a Leon setting, something very delicate.

Carat - 3 carat or higher

Color - H or higher. I originally wanted to keep it above F, but I have been to Tiffany's and looked at their diamonds in the size range I am looking at. Both were very well cut, and the difference between an E and an I was barely detectable. The I diamond looked a bit more amber, but that was under a dark spot and some straining to see it. Do you think it will make a (price) difference if I set the floor at H or I? Right now I am thinking H or higher. I've read on here that most people start seeing colour at I... if you know you like colourless diamonds and actively dislike seeing tint I'd stay at H+ as long as budget allows.

Clarity - VS1 or higher

Cut - this is the hardest. I will be looking at GIA diamonds only, so I will specify that cut has to be excellent. I will also plug the #s into the HCA to make sure that it rates 1-2. I will also ask for Sarin, Ogi, or Helium reports (are these pretty standard? Would a supplier always have one of them?) I don't think these are all that standard -they are for PS vendors, but not the rest of the world - same for IS/ASET images. Please note that I will be buying from a supplier in Hong Kong, not the USA. Also Ideal-scope if available. As I am trying to avoid the GIA Excellent steep and deep, I thought it would be good to give guidance on table (53-58%), crown (34.0-35.0) and pavilion (not sure on what to specify here???) as well. Is that redundant if I only screen for GIA excellent cuts? Should I give guidance on spread as well? Don't eliminate AGS diamonds - their ideal cut range is tighter than GIA Ex. It's not the specific crown and pavilion angles that matter so much as the relationship between them and the other facets - a 33 crown and a 41.2 pavilion could be fantastic, while a 35 crown and a 41.2 pavilion most likely is not. A 35 crown and a 41 pavilion with LGF 70 might be dreadful, a 35/41 with LGF 80 may be beautiful. 34-35 c and 41-40.7 p is nice and safe, but they're not hard rules - beautiful stones are common outside these parametres!

What is most important to me is that the diamond be as white as possible and blindingly SPARKLY, fiery, bright! No more donut!

Would welcome any feedback on anything else I need to specify to find my diamond... thanks so much in advance!!!

21.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would suggest H or higher in color and ideal cut cut for a dazzling white diamond. You can save money by dropping clairty to VS2 or Si1. I also agree to look at AGS0 diamonds as they grade a little stricter than GIA. 3 carats will be gorgeous.

jgny

Shiny_Rock
Thanks. I won''t eliminate AGS - I just don''t know how common they are in Hong Kong. I was thinking of whatever diamond I choose, I will see if I can get an AGS report on it as well. Don''t know how possible this is, but I am willing to pay for it.

As for specific crown and pavilion angles, perhaps it''s better that I not be so specific? Just give the table %?

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, given your situation and desires, here is my my complete and honest opinion concerning cut: Specify GIA excellent and run the numbers on the certs of the contenders through the HCA. Choose 2-3 that score less than 2 and have them brought in. Look at them in lots of different lighting environments and then choose the one you like the best! Post the numbers here for verification if you like. Make sure you have a return period that allows you time to have an appraisal done by someone independent. End of story. That is all you need to worry about, I really really mean it.

As to the color, if you don''t want to see tint then stick with H or above. You can safely go to VS2 without ever worrying about inclusions.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2010 12:22:21 AM
Author: jgny
Thanks. I won''t eliminate AGS - I just don''t know how common they are in Hong Kong. I was thinking of whatever diamond I choose, I will see if I can get an AGS report on it as well. Don''t know how possible this is, but I am willing to pay for it.

As for specific crown and pavilion angles, perhaps it''s better that I not be so specific? Just give the table %?
This really is not required. GIA is very reputable. What I *would* do though is check with an independent appraiser to make certain that the diamond you are given is indeed the diamond in the cert.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/9/2010 12:22:21 AM
Author: jgny

most of the GIA stone being sold in HK are steep/deep. check the pavvilion angles and depth %.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/9/2010 12:44:42 AM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
OK, given your situation and desires, here is my my complete and honest opinion concerning cut: Specify GIA excellent and run the numbers on the certs of the contenders through the HCA. Choose 2-3 that score less than 2 and have them brought in. Look at them in lots of different lighting environments and then choose the one you like the best! Post the numbers here for verification if you like. Make sure you have a return period that allows you time to have an appraisal done by someone independent. End of story. That is all you need to worry about, I really really mean it.

As to the color, if you don't want to see tint then stick with H or above. You can safely go to VS2 without ever worrying about inclusions.
Ditto that and AGS if you can get them, this would make it easier. Also with the all important crown and pavilion angles, the craftmaship and tightness of the cut can make such a difference, so I would suggest purchasing an Idealscope to help you. Can't always assume with the numbers and various aspects of cut that a stone will be a winner so an IS would help, especially as this is such a sizeable investment where supplies are fairly limited.

jgny

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer - thanks so much. I was worried I was overthinking it. Regarding appraisal, if it were GIA and inscribed, do you think I still need to get an appraisal?

Dancing Fire - any specific guidelines I should give to avoid any GIA excellents that are steep/deeps? By the way, I love your quote. I have said it to myself many times!

Lorelei - thanks! You were so helpful in the initial thread. I''m going to purchase one, and take a pic of the current diamond, just for the heck of it.

And of course I will post specs on the one(s) I am considering. Wouldn''t even think of making a purchase without the so helpful advice of PSers. Everyone here has been so kind, I really appreciate it. I only wish I joined before my initial purchase.

21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results